“Great location, fantastic staff, need some more wireless routers” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Tin Wis Resort

BEST WESTERN Tin Wis Resort
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Tofino
canada
“Great location, fantastic staff, need some more wireless routers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

I was booked to stay in a regular room, but upgraded once arrived with my family. The executive suite was worth the extra price! The hotel is really nice (and was receiving a new coat of paint while we were there), and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful - the management should appalud their efforts. The hotel is situated right on a very sandy beach. If you're a fan of First Nations art, then you'll also be spoiled by the decor here. I didn't notice any for sale - I think the hotel could capitalize on the opportunity to do so.

The only complaint that I have is that the wireless internet connection is terrible. Both my wife and I had trouble maintaining a link to the wireless network, and the rooms don't include the option for connecting via an internet cable. As we both had business work to do while in Tofino, this proved to be quite a pain.

We would definitely recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Traveldude765

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Polish first
Duiven, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

The hotel is First Nations run and I consider that a plus. However, for $ 350 a night one would expect better. Rooms are adequate but not special (we stayed in building 7). View of the. Beach and ocean but nothing extraordinary. Standard BW layout of the room and bathroom but the whole setup had a motel feel to it. On the other hand: you have anice balcony where you can enjoy the sun and the tranquility of the sound of the waves (the only hotel this trip that had no sound of traffic whatsoever).

Not easy to find: we drove at the hotel and turned away as there is no sign that it is the TinWis Resort.

Onsite restaurant is very good with excellent service and a nice winelist.

Fitness and pool are way below par

All in all: the rate should be lower but a nice enough hotel if you want to enjoy the Pacific Rim NP.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gert M
Paul D, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Tin Wis Resort, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for your candid feedback, Just a few comments - the resort does not have a pool and the fitness centre is barnd new with free weights, 5 peices of new cardio equipment, bosu balls, stability balls and a 3 station brand new multi gymn, which I feel is very nice and certainly exceeds the standards in the local market.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Best Regards,

Paul
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed at the Tin Wis for two days. The rooms are clean, two beds in the room, you have a fridge but the rooms are basic. We only had one toilet roll in the room which wasn't replaced until we had to ask in reception on our return that evening - this was after our room was cleaned that day and the 1 x toilet roll had been used.

(Other hotels on our trip we stayed at left at least 2 toilet rolls in the room).

Safe is at Reception - no safe in the room. No restaurant menu in the rooms either

You have access to the beach to watch the sunset at around 7pm of a night. Barbecue area for guests

REVIEW:-

I would have given this BEST WESTERN TIN WIS a higher review only for the rudeness, lack of customer skills of one of the waitresses on our last night.

We were told that the restaurant was expensive but we thought we would it try prior to going into Tofino.

We were met by Krista(blonde waitress), who stated the restaurant was full with reservations and that she would accommodate us in the bar area. She was trying to accommodate other guests who had just booked in. She apologised for the delay and I could see she was doing the same for other guests, apologising for the wait and then serving them in the bar or letting them sit in the restaurant when a table became clear.

We had a little wait and had no problems, the food came and was very hot fresh, halibut and cod fish and chips. I could see Krista was rushing around trying to assist guests due to a large group/tour had arrived that evening.

She had excellent communications skills/customer service skills and apologised for the delays re table and food. We stated no problem at all. We joked with Krista on that night and due to the great food, we reserved a table for the following night. We tipped Krista a good tip, due to the fact she was attentive, professional and a nice lady. The food on this night was Hot/excellent also. We thanked her for accommodating us and serving us.

(On this night I did notice other waiters and waitresses standing at the bar area, talking to other waiters and not serving guests one being a female called Tia while Krista was doing drinks, receiving guests and accommodating them and showing them to the tables)

The next day I told our Tour guide about our experience in the restaurant and that the food was good, that the resort should have menus in the rooms for guests to review and if we needed to reserve a table this should be mentioned on arrival to help out the restaurant. I also stated to our tour guide that due to our large group that she should get a copy of the menu and to show other people prior to arrival if people wanted to reserve a table.

(Other members of our group were told by other waitresses/waiters that the old chef was sacked and a consultant was brought in to review the restaurant due to people going to Tofino to eat due to the poor food/expensive costs. The review /consultant stated to review reduce prices and now the restaurant was busy)

Second night in the restaurant - We reserved the table for 1930hrs and arrived at 1920 hrs - We were met again by Krista and I thanked her again for the previous evening good service and we joked with her. She showed us to our table and stated our waitress would be Tia. That is when the problems started.

Tia finally came over to us after "chatting" to guests and looking at their pictures on a camera/mobile. She took our order at 1930hrs and I asked for alcoholic drinks and some water.

The alcoholic drinks were finally delivered but no water was given.(We did receive water the previous night)

Tia went back to the guests she was looking at the pictures and was chatting to them, she was approx. 10-15 feet away. She chatted for ten mins again with her back to us.

Another female waitress serving other tables went past with water and I asked for some water which she provided.

When Tia was finally passing another of our group had asked if we wanted to join them at a 4 table. I asked Tia politely if it would be a problem if we joined them to the 4 person table approx. 8 feet away

Her reply was abrupt "I will still be your server!"

I stated no problem and that we would move the cutlery over to our friends table, instead of her; which we did. The "I will still be your server!" bit I knew was referring to her getting a tip from us. I didn't mind this as I always tip good service as the previous evening proved with Krista

We sat down at the table it was now around 1945 hrs. We waited and waited. I could see Tia at the bar area at the top of the restaurant past the bar. Now talking to another couple for ten mins.

It was now 2000hrs and we had drank our alcoholic drinks and she had not appeared with our food or asking if we wanted more drinks. The male waiter who was serving our friends, took their order and didn't ask us if we needed anything, I took this as due to the comment by Tia that she would still be our server. My friends stated they would get us a drink from their waiter, I stated no it would cause issues no doubt that Tia was our waitress. The male waiter also didn't offer for this reason as well.

But she was still "chatting to the couple" past the bar. So I went to the bar and asked Krista could we have drinks due to the fact that Tia had ignored us and I explained that she had been chatting and reviewing pictures of one table and now was talking to people at the top bar area.

She hadn't brought us our water on taking our order and we were still waiting for our food 45 mins after ordering. (I had ordered the buffalo burger, due to the fact I wanted to try it and my other half the fish and chips again - not as if we had ordered a complicated dish)

Krista was apologising and I stated no need for her to apologise. We just wanted drinks. I stated to Krista, that even though she was extremely busy last night her waitress service was excellent. She stated she would get the supervisor to come over to us. I stated there was no need.

I returned to my seat and I seen Krista speaking to Tia who had now appeared. She was being abrupt and argumentative with Krista, her body language was I don't care.

Finally Tia came to our table approx. 50 mins after taking our order with our drinks and stated whats wrong. She was rude, abrupt and argumentative, stating that "due to us moving we were out of her field of vision !"

We were on the next table/next to the window to the one she looking at their pictures.

I raised that she was talking to them and reviewing pictures. Then chatting to other people at the very top of the restaurant - not in her field of vision or area of waitressing tables.

Her comment was the table near us "their first language is not English and they have dietary requirements!". Thought this funny when she was looking at their holiday snaps/photos

Not once did she apologise for forgetting us. Again rude confrontational, very poor customer service training and to diffuse her attitude I stated she had finally brought our drinks and turned back to chat to our friends.

She finally walked off. I stated that no doubt our food has been sitting in the kitchen and will be now cold. Tia went back to the bar area and was talking to other waiters there who were now staring at us.

Our friends at the table both stated she was rude, argumentative and had very poor waitress/customer service skills. They witnessed her not apologising. I stated if she had apologised that would have been the end of it but she was totally confrontational. They agreed.

2030hrs finally our food was brought to us by another waiter not Tia. We had ordered it by 1930 hrs (1 hr for a burger and chips. Yes, it wasnt warm).

My partner didnt eat the food due to it being cold, but I wanted to try the Buffalo burger which was also cold and over cooked . But we had been waiting for over an hour and I was hungry after a long day.

Then a supervisor called Joe appeared at the table. I fully explained the circumstances that Tia was chatting and reviewing another tables photos instead of serving us, explained no water, no extra drinks until I had to ask, she was chatting to another table and not in her waitress area. I stated she was rude, confrontational and that she didn't apologise. I stated the food was now cold having no doubt been sitting in the kitchen for an hour. I also stated that she needed to do customer service training and to know how to deal with customers.

(I advised him that on return home I would complete a negative review on Tia and her none existent waitress skills at this restaurant which was a shame when we received excellent service from Krista the previous evening)

He apologised for the poor service. He stated that we didn't have to pay for the drinks I had to go and ask for. I stated I didn't want any discount. I stated we had booked tonight after excellent service from Krista the previous evening and that Krista was superb and we had a delay last night and she had apologised for the delay.

I stated to Joe, the supervisor he could ask Krista how we were last night and we had given her a good tip and had been joking with her that night and tonight prior to sitting at Tia's table. I even stated I had to turn away from Tia for her to go away and stop being rude and argumentative, due to the fact she couldn't see she had done anything wrong.

I then seen Joe speaking to Tia at the bar area. Again she was argumentative with Joe who no doubt was trying to advise her of her ways and how to treat customers. We could see she was ignoring his supervisory role advice and her body language was abysmal when she was being reprimanded/given direction.

She finally came over to our table again after ten mins and asked if it was all okay. Again no apology. So I stated " the food was cold"

My partner had left her food. Tia took the plates and walked off.

Later she came back with our bill without us asking for it and stated abruptly " We have only charged you for the burger!" She placed the docket on the table and walked off. Again I had not asked for the discount. All she had to do was apologise.

NB : The table next to us their was a female who was part of our group sitting there and she even stated she had overheard Tia's comments and how abrupt, rude she was and that she was out of order.

We carried on chatting with our friends who were being served by another waiter. Again we were not asked for any further drinks during the meal or while our friends were eating. They got their food after we had ours.

About 2115 hrs our friends were still eating and another waiter came over to see if we were paying the burger bill. Tia didn't appear at our table, she was again chatting to the same table at the top of the bar area.

We paid our bill with no tip ( WE RECEIVED NO SERVICE FROM TIA) due to the very poor service and treatment by her. Never been spoken to so rudely, no apologises on three occasions.

On leaving I saw Joe at the bar area and again I stated how rude, abrupt, poor customer service Tia has. That after he had spoken to her she was still rude and she could have diffused the situation by apologising instead of being confrontational. I also stated she had still had not apologised to us and that all she was after was a tip.

I also stated that I didn't want a reduction for the price but explained that the food was cold and that it had; no doubt been left in the kitchen while Tia was chatting to people.

I reiterated again that I had told our Tour Guide the previous day the food was good and service from Krista was excellent. For other members of our group to try it. I also stated that Krista was a superb waitress.

I then went to Krista and stated in front of Joe that she had done nothing wrong and that her customer service was 100% and she was excellent when serving us the previous night and tonight. We then left the restaurant.

CONCLUSION:-

Nice beach area and room clean enough.

Restaurant - getting served by Krista excellent customer service

Restaurant - getting served by Tia very, very poor service - if you go there and are seated at Tia's table "or her line of vision" as she says. Be aware she will ignore you and chat to other people, look at their pictures and just expect tips!

She will serve you cold food finally when she has remembered or when she has been reprimanded to bring it to you

She needs retraining in how to deal with customers and to apologise. its called customer service training.

The issue should have and could have been diffused by an apology from her. Instead she carried on being abrupt and rude.

I would have given the TIN WIS a 4 or a 5 star for the resort and the restaurant if Tia had provided good service like Krista the previous evening.

But due to the above unfortunately its a 2 star and if I could give Tia a star it would be -2 stars. She is "front of house" representative for the TIN WIS as a waiter and the evening was spoilt by her attitude.

Hopefully due to what we were subjected to, Tia will reflect and other guests will get better service from her in the future. But I wont hold my breath.

Room Tip: Don't get served by Tia the waitress - she has no customer service or waitress skills - just aft...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Thank A.MACCA
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay. We need this to continue to work at improving both the product and the service we offer to you, our valued guest. Thank you for letting me know the wonderful service you experienced with Krista while dining on the first night. I will thank her personally for this. In regards to the much different level of service received on the next evening, please accepet my apologies and be assured that I will address this with our Restaurant Manager immediately.

Regards,

Paul
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed one night and had a room right on the ocean. There is direct beach access and the views are truly fantastic. It was a pretty basic room but it was clean and the staff were helpful. The big downside for us was that the staff at the desk explained that since we were in a remote area the Internet was weak. This is Nonsense.Not investing in adequate infrastructure to ensure a strong signal is inexcusable when guests are paying multiple hundreds of dollars for the room. We went to cute place in town for breakfast and it had very strong Internet. So get with it Tin Wis and give your guests some decent Internet!

Room Tip: Don't skimp. Pay for a view on the water.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Paul D, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Tin Wis Resort, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with honest feedback - In terms of the internet - please note that this is not a Resort capacity issue but a District of Tofino issue as we are a small remote community the private sector has not invetsed in the necessary equipment to increase the bandwidth necessary to allow for all resident, visitors and business in the area to have the same internet as larger population centres in the province enjoy.
Santa Cruz, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We made a last minute reservation at the Tin Wis resort in Tofino for two nights. We loved it so much we extended for a third. all employees were extremely helpful and pleasant and the accommodations were more than adequate.
This property sits on the oceans edge on the west coast of Vancouver Island. It is literally at the end of the road. We were there in July and the weather was great. I can only imagine how beautiful it would be in the winter with a Pacific storm raging on and being snug by the in-room fireplace.

Room Tip: Go for the top floor to get the best view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Nanaimo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Check in was swift with no complications. A couple of miles out of the city so you need to drive to enjoy the town.
Found the rooms to be clean. Pet friendly for our furry companion and special treats in the room for him.
Inhouse restaurant convenient and and overlooking the beach.
Nice place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
lhunt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Beautiful location, great view, quiet, and well maintained. This is definitely the place to stay in Tofino. Could not ask for a better place to stay and enjoy the quietness and watch tide go in and out! You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ground floor for sure!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family