“OK but cold and damp” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Tofino
Powell River
“OK but cold and damp”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

It is Tofino and we were there for storm season, but when we got to the room it was cold and damp. ..never did dry out. Service at the hotel was very so so.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Polish first
Victoria,B.C.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2011

Booked 3 nights, mom with 17 yr old and older dog . I was pleasantly surprised to find this hotel better than I expected. Staff were lovely, the location was perfect. It was a spontaneous trip from Victoria, phoned one day and went the next. One bldg has rooms that accept dogs, though it was 25 $ night for dog. , Main floor ( of 2 storey bldg) with sliding patio door and also one window that opened. Breeze kept things cool ( I hate hot rooms!). Big , beautiful lawn out front, 30 secs to McKenzie beach. Beside Ocean Village Resort. All rooms have ocean views, which were terrific. They just replaced the 2 plastic patio chairs with nicer ones the day we left.( though I noticed they took away the little side tables for outside) Beds super comfortable, Stayed in room with 2 queens, 4 great pillows on each bed. Good flat screen TV. Mini fridge, no mic. Nicely decorated. Owned by Best Western, but run independently. First Nations land and staff, Did not really feel like a hotel chain at all, which was nice. Really friendly and helpful staff.
As I said, I was really surprised that it exceeded my expectations. Oh yes, the restaurant was great!!! Really good food, a bit pricey , but good ( open breakfast and dinner only). Beautiful views from everywhere in restaurant. I would go back there in a heartbeat, (the dog loved it too!).
Whole hotel has apparently just been renovated. Block out drapes with 2nd gauzy over drape, (perfect for letting air in at night.). Very quiet, staff on duty 24/7, they encouraged me to report any noise at night ( there was none). They said there was security staff at night too. Went just before long weekend. Close to Tofino town. I am really picky about rooms being practical and quiet, this was both. Double lamp between beds was actually useful for reading. Hot tub in our bldg was actually hot and big enough for more that just 2 or 3 people. One treadmill, one elliptical upstairs ( though open to the humidity of the hot tub). Windows and door that opens in hot tub room ,
Well ,that's it. Enjoy if you go.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank B.C.Sunny
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2011

I was here recently for a 2 night stay. I was staying for business so my review may not be in the viewpoint of the average tourist.

First off, I arrived at Tofino airport and got the shuttle to the hotel. The shuttle was $22.40 and is recommended over taking a taxi as the taxi will cost far more. On the main road before turning into Tin Wis, there's a "collection" of small stores almost right across the road. This includes a mini-supermarket.

Upon arriving, check-in was efficient. It's the off-season so it wasn't too busy. They took full payment immediately which I found surprising, as that's usually done at the end of the stay. Maybe people leave early and don't pay? It was around 1:30 pm when I arrived and was told my room wasn't ready so was given another room in the "annex" portion of the hotel.

Upon entering, it was evident the room was recently refurbished. The renovation was in good taste and the mattress was quite comfortable for sleeping. For a business traveller, I must admit the work table in the room was pretty small (-1) but the light had differing levels of brightness (+1). There was free wifi and the speed was quite decent. There was a mini-fridge in the room which I used to put bottles of water. The view from all the rooms are magnificent. They all look out onto the beachfront. I will also mention that my shampoo bottle wasn't replaced after the first night and had to call the following morning (when I found out) for one. It came promptly but it should have been replaced in the first place. (-1)

I did eat in the restaurant. I was here approximately 4 years ago and had a horrible experience - there was a "curly" hair in my dinner entree. Yuck! However, as I didn't have a rental car, I really had nowhere else to go unless I wanted to pay a $15 taxi fare to/from downtown. The quality and service overall was quite good (generally speaking). Prices were reasonable for the food received. However, when I had breakfast on my day of check-out, I had a different server than before and the service was slow. Very slow.

Would I stay here again? Probably as it's one of the best values in Tofino. However, I'd probably also want to try other hotels next time. Overall, I'd give this hotel 3.5/5 stars.

Tip:
1) If you can, rent a car or else you'll be stuck at the hotel.
2) Ask for a room on the top floor as you'll definitely hear noises above you. I was forced awake by the people above me taking showers.
3) For dinner, check out Sobo in the downtown area.

Note to management:
Consider getting a speakerphone for rooms. I had to call in for a meeting and had to use my BB as I needed the hands-free. It meant a loss of revenue for you.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Braindrain
TinWisManagement, Manager at BEST WESTERN Tin Wis Resort, responded to this review, May 9, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thorough experience and helpful tips to other traveller's.
I am delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please note that for your next business trip out to Tofino, we have a room type called the King Studio, which will offer a full desk and ergonomic chair with ample lighting for you, but I hope your next trip to Tofino is for leisure and relaxation.
We will be sure to keep in mind the suggestion of a speaker phone when replacing our telephone system again in the future.
Your recommendations for other traveller's are excellent!
Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and we hope that we will have the opportunity again in the near future to welcome you back.

Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2011

Great Location
Access to the Beach
Every room has a view (with a balcony)
Rooms are clean and fresh
Free Parking
This was our first visit to Tofino and we will go back to this place next time when we visit
Good hotel for the price - the other hotels with ocean front views & access to the beach were much more expensive
I woud have given it a 5 star but they deducting 1 star since breakfast was not included

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
      Cleanliness
TinWisManagement, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Tin Wis Resort, responded to this review, April 12, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of our establishment. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our establishment on your next visit to Tofino.
And thank you for sharing your lovely photos from your stay! They are gorgeous and really reflect the ambiance of our property very nicely.
We look forward to your next visit with us!
-Jenny T.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2011

Stayed at this property this past weekend, and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the rooms for a Best Western! Room we had, included a kitchenette and fantastic view of Mackenzie Beach. Since it was 3 girls, both the rooms and (more importantly) the bathroom were of good size. The only thing I would have changed? Bigger wine glasses :)

The only negative was that we could hear the people in the room next door if we didn't have any background noise ourselves coming through the connecting door.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TinWisManagement, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Tin Wis Resort, responded to this review, February 17, 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your wonderful remarks regarding our property. We are thrilled to hear that you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us.
We certainly understand that all of our guests may not be quiet as mice, and we certainly apologize that you heard the guest next to you. We hope that the background noise to drown them out was the sound of the waves on the beach just outside your room.
Again, thank you for your kind remarks and we hope that you will visit us again soon and we have the opportunity to welcome you back as a repeat guest!

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2010

This was the first Resort my Fiance and I stayed on the Pacific Rim and we stayed in the Executive Suite overlooking the beautiful beach. The Suite had all the fixens of a Romantic Getaway. With a full and open kitchenette and spacious living room coupled with an exceptional bedroom with a gorgeous jetted tub right beside the bed! The unobstructed view from the balcony was to die for allowing us a beautiful sunrise breakfast and an exquisite sunset that set the perfect tone for a fun and relaxing evening. The beach walks were quiet and reflective. The staff were awesome and a special thanks to Debbie Thomas who was the Asst. Front Office Manager who was delightful from start to finish of our weekend getaway. Two Big Thumbs up folks! Keep up the Great Work :)
~ Jay "The Funologist"

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheFunologist
TinWisManagement, Manager at BEST WESTERN Tin Wis Resort, responded to this review, October 30, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of our property. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed it so much you felt you needed to share your thoughts with other travellers.
We appreciate the time you put into posting your review and we sincerely hope that you and your fiance will come back and visit us again soon...perhaps even on your honeymoon. Congratulations and again, thank you for your kind compliments.

Operations Manager
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2010

We really enjoyed the location on the beach. We found the hotel a little run down. The carpets really needed a cleaning. It was O.K. for the rate we paid for the area. Nothing extra nice about the room very average. The location was great.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Nik18
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your honest review. You will be happy to know that we are in the process of complete refurbishment of the entire resort and all 85 guest rooms. All rooms will be 'brand new' come January 2011.
Even better, our rates will not be increasing (we may even decrease them) so on your next visit with us, you can expect a brand new experience at the Tin Wis Resort.
We are excited for the project to be completed so our valued return guests, such as yourself, can see the beautiful new decor of the guest rooms.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Operations Manager