“Great Kayaking Tour!”

Black Bear Kayaking
Ranked #9 of 51 Tours in Tofino
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Black Bear Kayak provides Kayak and hiking-tours around Tofino. Explore the rugged coasts of the various little islands of Clayoquot Sound and meet the wildlife at its doorstep. No experience required!
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We spent a few days in Tofino and decided to give Black Bear Kayak a chance and choose the 4hr kayak tour to the Big Tree Trail on Meares Island. Our Guides Torsten and his dog sawyer welcomed us at the Marine Resort dock and gave us a short introduction before we went by Kayak to Meares Island accompanied by Bald Eagles and Sea Otter. It was a sunny day and the water was crystal clear, but there was some heavy current, that is why Torsten recommnded a two person kayak for us kayak amateurs. Torsten told us lots of interesting facts about the amazing flora and fauna surrounding us (in German as he is from Germany). Then we arrived at one of the landing places of Meares Island and explored with our guides the Big Tree Trail, consisting of a wooden boardwalk alongside 1500 year old trees. It seemed like a magical forest. A Breathtaking place surrounded by water. Torsten told us the great history of this trail and Meares Island, while we had lots of time for taking pictures, looking & walking around and asking questions (which all were answered professionally and in our opinion free of needless sensational reports). In total this tour was pure pleasure and one of the most relaxed and enjoyable tours we ever went on.

2  Thank 2012Bastian

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I had a great trip with Black Bear Kayaking, my wonderful guide Alysha was great, very knowledgeable about tofino, all the way along the trip she stopped to point things out, in areas of kelp and lifting out a kelp crab, we went to the big tree trail on meares Island, and Alysha had a great knowledge of the island its amazing trees and native history, the cathedral tree was amazing, we picked wild huckleberries and I was taught about the natives stripping bark to make rope and various other items, on the way back Alysha stopped and picked up a live sea star which i also got to hold, i had a great time and cant wait to go back, and would highly recommend this trip and guide to anyone

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Kayaking with Black Bear was exactly what we expected. The guide (Alysha) was very friendly, knowledgeable, and informative! It ended up just being myself and my boyfriend signed up for that day - which gave us a private tour. Alysha tailored the tour to what interested us the most and did her best to answer the many, many questions we had. I have some boating experience, and my boyfriend has none. She was exceptionally patient with us on the super windy day and even pulled out 3 starfish for us to hold when we got close to shore. The only complaint we have about this company is their online booking system. We had stopped in to confirm our booking the night before, and I'm happy we did. Even though we booked online, they did not have us marked down in their book for the tour - not very professional. If we go again, we will definitely book by phone.

Reviewed August 30, 2012

Great guide, very helpful. I've ner kayaked before. He made it easy and fun! We did the 4 hour your. Time in the water was broken up by a hike on Meares island.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

My trip with Black Bear was fantastic! Alysha was amazing, she had great knowledge of the Tofino area and answered all my questions! She was able to tell us about the native plants and wildlife as well as a history of the area and interesting facts. She is friendly, funny and sweet and you can tell she really wants everyone to have an amazing time and we did! They were very accommodating and made sure we were comfortable on the water at all times. I have very little experience and Alysha took the time and had the patience to help me and explain things as we went along. We had a great pace and she was always checking on us and asking how we were doing, I felt completely safe and had the best time! Thanks so much to Black Bear, I would go again in a second!

1  Thank poss87