“The worst experience in Tofino”
Review of Marina West Motel

Marina West Motel
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Tofino
Vancouver, Canada
“The worst experience in Tofino”
Reviewed December 9, 2010

I could not believe the time I had witnessed in Tofino, certainly not the best. I travel to this destination many times throughout the year and the noise was not to my standards. There were complaints from not only our group but other guests as well. The food was very standard and I heard they didn't even have the Chef that created this new menu present and there isn't even a qualified Chef currently working at this resort. I thought Tofino was all about food with red seal Chefs, well certainly not there. It's to bad

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank john154943

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed December 4, 2010

We got a $99 rate they advertise on their website, which includes a dinner package at their restaurant. Unfortunately, the Blue Heron restaurant takes over half an hour to even serve drinks because the servers are overworked and looking after too many tables. After dinner, the young crowd staying at this hotel thinks they are in their backyard and wander around the rooms talking and laughing out loud into the late hours of the night. Unfortunately the hotel doesn't have any night staff to look after such issues, a phone number is provided for an "emergency contact." If you're a grown up and want to travel comfortably even on a budget there are other hotels like the Best Western in the area. The Weigh West Resort is an ok place if you're in high school, college, or on a very low travel budget. Bring earplugs with you.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank poptarttravel

Travelers are raving about these Tofino hotels

Parksville, Canada
Reviewed November 13, 2010

We decided to take a short quick trip to Tofino for one night and found Weigh West to be the ideal location. We were able to get a room with a seperate bedroom, which was perfect because I was travelling with my boyfriend. The views of the mountains, docks, broken islands and wildlife were fantastic! Instead of looking out at just an open ocean (which is pretty boring at times) you had a view of everything that was going on in inlet. Eagles soaring and catching fish, seals leisurely hanging around the docks waiting for the huge salmon remain being brought in, boats of every kind making their way to various destinations and adventures as well as we were told the Killer Whales when they are in the Tofino area swim right past the docks! Being able to watch all this from the comfort of your room with a fireplace and hot chocolate was simple outstanding! Truly an acceptable place where the staff were unbelievable, AND there was a restaurant & pub on site AND it is literally on the water. Amazing!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed August 24, 2010

This was an awful hotel with no kind of service at all, nor wasthere breakfast included.
Although the room was" reasonabl"y clean the corridors were dark, dingy & had big carpet stains everywhere. The price was out of whack.
The bed was awful, with one of those older matresses which allowed you to feel every movement of the person sleeping wiith you.
I was pleased that it was just the one night. Had the price been around $100 I would not be complaining, but with taxes, it was not far off $250-00 for a very basic place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank entucasa
encounters1, General Manager at Marina West Motel, responded to this review, August 26, 2010
Dear Traveler

Thank you for taking a moment to review our property. I regret to hear your stay was unsatisfactory.

The Weigh West Marine Resort employs a mattress program at our property which allows us to constantly replace aging mattresses with new Sealy, pillow-top mattresses. This is an ongoing replacement cycle program utilized in most hotels in the industry.

Our room rates range from $100-$300, depending on the type of room you require. We pride ourselves on offering clean, comfortable and convenient rooms. While the price for such accommodations may at first seem high, a quick review of similar Resorts in Tofino will show that the Weigh West Marine Resort offers the best value around.

Our property services include an onsite Pub & Restaurant, Marina, Guest Laundry and many, many Adventure Tours.

Thank you again for your review, and I hope you allow us the privilege of serving you again and earning back your business.

Kind Regards

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed July 31, 2010

We had four adults and one 3 year old. It is a WONDERFUL view, with a restaurant (nice) and bar (nice too) right on the grounds, close to everthing in town. Clean, friendly, cannot beat it. We stayed in a suite, where two of us stayed in the living room, two in a private bedroom for about $280 (2 separate rooms would have been $400---that is just the way it is in Tofino/Ucluelet...)

Thumbs way up on memorable (truly) experience...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
encounters1, General Manager at Marina West Motel, responded to this review, August 14, 2010
Dear Traveler

Thank you so much for your positive review of our Resort!

I am very happy to hear you enjoyed our establishment and its amenities.

We truly value your business and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again.

Very Kind Regards

Uxbridge, Canada
Reviewed July 24, 2010

We booked this hotel to stay there in June of 2009, unfortunately I was taken off a cruise ship in Juneau Alaska and spent 5 days in hospital in Juneau, my wife phone this hotel and was advised that she needed 72 hrs to cancel the room. She informed them that I was in hospital in Juneau and the girl said to phone back in a few hours and talk to the manager. Which she did and re-phoned and phoned and phoned and the manager was never in. I was released from hospital and we made our way back to Toronto. when we got home I tried as did my wife to contact the manager and she was never in. I contacted Visa as well as the booking agent and they were never able to get a hold of the manager. All I wanted was my room rate back as I was in Hospital at the time of the reservation.
This year we were back in Tofino for a very short time and stopped in and guess what, the manager was not in. I left my home telephone number and asked that the manager call me when I got home in 2 days. This was June 20/2010. On June 20 someone from the hotel left a message on my answering machine at home and said they were looking into the matter and would contact me. It now is 24 days since that phone call and no one has contacted me.
I therefore state that I would not recommend this hotel to anyone especially if you have to cancel your reservation. They do not CARE, Beware!!!

Dave

Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank Dave_Kasza
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 25, 2010

Apparently staff live right beside the hotel! All night long we listened to drunken idiocy and loud music!! We tried to make light of the situation - "we were all young once!" - but since staying at lovely places in other locations on Vancouver Island and paying less, we have become a bit disgruntled. What an unprofessional establishment!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank TravellingThomas12
Dear Traveler

Thank you for taking the time to review our Resort. We appreciate all reviews, positive or negative, as they help assist us in our commitment to continually improve the products and services offered to you, our guest.

The noise issue you witnessed is regrettable and certainly not commonplace at our Resort.

Weigh West Marine Resort employs Security personnel who remain onsite from 11pm-7am and will respond to guests concerns or needs, as well as any noise issues associated with staying at a large destination location.

We at the Weigh West Marine Resort are committed to offering the best location, value and service in Tofino and hope you will allow us the privilege of one day earning back your business.

Kind Regards