“An amazing day!!”

West Coast Aquatic Safaris
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Tofino! Wild By Nature…Tour Tofino’s wild side with West Coast Aquatic Safaris. Enjoy the West Coast’s premiere wildlife and sightseeing tours aboard our All Weather Boats, WASCO and NANUQ, both Transport Canada safety certified. Our professional and knowledgeable staff will make your Tofino experience one to remember. Get off the beaten path and experience ecotourism that is environmentally responsible, safe, and fun for the whole family with West Coast Aquatic Safaris. We look forward to welcoming you aboard! First Class Adventure, Excellent Value.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
vancouver
“An amazing day!!”
Reviewed May 11, 2009

Just got back from a weekend in Tofino. Spent a 3 hour tour with Aquatic Safaris and had a blast. We got to see bald eagles, gray whales, hump back whales, sea lions and harbor seals!

The staff is very knowledgeable about the surrounding area and can answer all your questions.

The boat was the best that I saw out on the water. The day I went it was sunny but still was nice to go inside to warm up. This vessel was very versatile and would be great rain or shine.

Thanks for the great times guys!!!!

Tofino
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Excellent safari!”
Reviewed May 1, 2009

I just came back from a whale watching trip with Wescoast Aquatic Safaris and can't wait for a chance to go again! I found the staff at check-in friendly and helpful. After checking in, the office staff escorted our group down the street to the marina and the boat.
THE BOAT: The tour boat 'Wasco' (which means 'Sea Wolf') is very well maintained and exceptionally clean. There are two levels to view from- the upper level and lower (inside the cabin) which makes whalewatching in all weather conditions very comfortable, plus there's a washroom. There are three benches in the upper level (two people per bench) with an unobstructed view in every direction. The seats are nicely padded which makes a bumpy ride in the ocean much nicer! The boat is a sizeable 31 feet so it is less bumpy to ride in as opposed to a zodiac. Plus you don't have to wear those dorky orange survival suits! ;) This would be a good choice as well, if you have back pain since this boat provides a bit more of a smoother ride than zodiacs. Sure there are even bigger boats such as the Leviathan at Jamie's, but do you really want to share your tour with 40 other people? Nah.
OUR CAPTAIN: Jeff is soft-spoken and friendly and very knowledgeable. On the way out he drove us to a 50 year old eagle's nest (still in use!) and explained many facts about eagles as we floated, taking pictures. Then a leisurely cruise near the coastline past Chesterman Beach, Cox Bay, Schooner Cove to see sea otters, and to Long Beach to view the whales. While waiting for the whales to surface he told us alot of facts on whales and whale behavior. We saw quite a few grey whales come to the surface. Mostly mists and some tail flukes were caught on my shaky camera! He then took us to a Stellar Sealion colony off of Comber's Beach where there were tons of sealions lounging on about 3 huge haulouts barking away! We drove a couple miles out to sea to look for humpbacks, but today they were hiding, so we headed back home. The odd time there were some fairly big waves, and Jeff handled the boat like a pro. I don't go out on the ocean very often and I felt completely safe!
Check out their website because they also do bear watching and bird watching trips as well as trips to the Hot Springs. whalesafaris.com
FYI- ask where the flush handle is in the onboard bathroom BEFORE you use it! ;)

1 Thank LiddleWanderer
Tofino
“Can't wait to go again”
Reviewed April 23, 2009

This was by far one of the funnest things I have done. Actually got to see three grey whales, more than a few times. The boat ride was so much fun, and the tour guide really knew his stuff. We had a great time, very enjoyable.

Victoria, BC
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Wicked time during whale fest!”
Reviewed March 30, 2009

I chose west coast safaris for my whale watching tour of the grey whales during whalefest and it was FANTASTIC!!!
The staff were very personable and informative about other events happening for the weekend as well as what to expect on our trip. Our guide Keith was extremely knowledgeable and passionate about the wildlife in Tofino, I learnt so much in such a short amount of time. We saw over a dozen whales, tons of seals and eagles! The boat is beautiful with two levels to view from, I would definately reccomend this company to anyone looking for an amazing tofino experience. Thank you for making my trip so memorable.

Leicester
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Got messed around”
Reviewed March 16, 2009

Booked a hot springs trip with this company. Was expecting to leave first thing in the morning as per their web site but was told it would not be until 12.30 pm - fair enough we had a days notice and gave us the chance of a lie in.

We were then called on the day of the tour at 10.15am to be told that we were now leaving at 11am, hardly ideal if we had been any further away. Obviously at less busy times they have to juggle their numbers etc but for the price I expected much better service.

We were swapped to a tour run by Ocean Outfitters as they had a nearly full boat. That trip was excellent - I'd book with them next time for sure.

2 Thank I_MLeicester