“Very Good, but could be great with more effort”

Rock Salt Restaurant & Cafe
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Global flavour and island comfort in an 180 degree ocean view dining room. We make everything from scratch and emphasize local ingredients. Our menu is varied with numerous options for carnivores, vegetarians, kids and gluten free diets. We also have a full service in house bakery, grab and go deli and espresso bar.
Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

I have had a house on Salt
Spring for over 15 years. I have experienced all of the previous incarnations of this restaurant, and have been several times under current management. At normal levels of business and an unhurried server, and attentive kitchen, you can get one of the nicest meals on Salt Spring, no question.The vegetarian dishes are excellent and they serve great local shellfish (mussels) and nice local coffee and bread.

I've read several of the reviews, both good and bad, and I guess they are all right. Sometimes, on a busy weekend day when it's jampacked, it's hard to get a servers attention. Still, it's a nice view of the harbor. Sooner or later your food will come, and often it will be really, really good. All things considered, i'd rather have great local eggs meat and produce served when it's ready, rather than A Denny's meal promptly served.

We had a great dinner tonight in all respects

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Stopped in this little gem before getting a fairy to Victoria. The server was friendly and professional and had no problem recommending what I could eat that was Gluten Free. I ordered the "Green eggs and Ham" and wow! It came out quickly and looked amazing. It was great. The Farm Fresh eggs were cooked perfectly, and the home fries were fresh and tasty. The portion was very generous and had it not been so delicious I may not have eaten it all, but it was, and I did!

I'm not always the easiest customer to please because I've worked in Kitchens and expect quality but I was very happy with my meal and would easily tell all my picky chef and cook friends to eat here.

Bottom line: Great food, exceptional Service, and very good value for my dollar which I highly value. Will be back soon!

1  Thank wawwas
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Ate at Rock Salt 3 times in the past couple of months and they have struck out. Previous two meals were bad, the third a travesty. As a local who eats out a fair bit, i feel compelled to warn other diners about Rock Salt: It needs less salt and this greasy spoon doesn't rock. How do you screw up breakfast? Rock Salt found a way. "Over-easy" eggs, rock hard, looked like somebody had stepped on them; "dry toast" came to the table cold and limp, loaded with butter or whatever it is they use; the bacon was nearly burnt on one end and raw on the other, surely a practiced art; and the server must be a relative of the owner as she passed by the table once with a: "Food's good, right?" comment without waiting for me to respond. No coffee refill and the place was mostly empty.
This excuse for an eatery has jacked-up their cafe prices by at least 30% in the past couple of years. The owners want top dollar for a terrible product. Will never again purchase so much as a coffee in this mismanaged dive.

2  Thank Terry B
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We went for lunch at the Salt Rock at 11:30 on a Saturday morning. There were only three or four other tables at the time. We arrived and found a table by the window for the good harbour view. We were there for 20 minutes before the server acknowledged us and it was another 20 minutes before we had to ask for a menu. She hadn't even stopped by our table even though she acknowledged us 20 minutes earlier.

When she finally brought our menus and took our drink orders almost 40 minutes after arriving. From that point she was quite attentive and things started looking up. We placed our lunch orders and the food came about 20 minutes later. I ordered the plain hamburger with bacon and my girlfriend ordered the chicken burger.

When I picked up my burger I noticed the bun was very soggy so I turned it over and noticed the blood on my plate that had also soaked into the bun. I cut into the burger and it was still mostly raw throughout. I waited for another ten minutes while trying to get the servers attention to tell her about this but she didn't come back so I had to walk to the kitchen with my plate in hand to tell her about the raw burger. She did apologize and told me that they would make another burger immediately.

It took another 10 minutes or so to get the burger and when it arrived I immediately noticed that it wasn't even the burger that I had ordered. It had a number of extra toppings that I didn't want (this is why I originally ordered the plain burger with only bacon. Not only that but the bacon and burger was now over-cooked.

Again she apologized and promised to bring another but by this time I was so hungry that I told her I'd eat it anyways (we'd been in the restaurant over an hour by this time). Unfortunately the burger was so overcooked and not what I wanted that I only ate a few bites of it.

She did comp the burger but was quite standoffish by this point and barely apologized. It's a shame because we had heard good things about the restaurant and had read previous Tripadvisor comments so was expecting much more.

All in all a very poor experience on all levels.

1  Thank Keith B
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I have eaten at Rock Salt Restaurant numerous times and the food is always good. But I have to say the bowl of Tomato /Garlic Soup that I ate was just wonderful. It was a memorable bowl of soup. Kudos to the chef!!

1  Thank JillE49