“Restaurant Behind the Flowers”

Salt Spring Inn Restaurant
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A recently restored heritage propety in the centre of Ganges Village.Indoor and outdoor seating for the restaurant with a charming 7 room hotel above. Quality dining at moderate prices, lounge atmosphere with fireplace is popular with locals and visitors.
Reviewed August 9, 2018

Being Vegetarian I found little on the menu so had the soup which was really thick and tasty. My friend did enjoy his choice but found the potato fries thin and floppy. Otherwise it was a most pleasant lunch in a pleasant spot.

Jeremy M, Owner at Salt Spring Inn Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2018

Thank you for forwarding your review. Our vegetarian selection indeed has 3 appetizers, 2 pizzas, a vegan soup, 3 vegetarian/vegan entrees and a very popular veggie burger. We always welcome suggestions for new and creative items that have broad appeal.
I hope that you have an opportunity to visit us again and discover more.

Reviewed August 6, 2018

The restaurant is located in the heart of Ganges. We had dinner there and really enjoyed the meal. The hostess and server were super friendly. Wait time was good as well. Price point was affordable Definitely will recommend.

Thank you, we really appreciate your kind review and look forward to being able to host you again.
Regards

Reviewed August 5, 2018 via mobile

Great tasting fish & Chips! We had the Cod for our fish. The service was a bit slow. But, I did enjoy eating there.

We really appreciate your review and understanding of the challenges in the Summer busy times. Our cod and chips continues to be a favourite at the Inn, so happy you enjoyed your meal.
Jeremy

Reviewed August 1, 2018

I've had two good previous experiences so at first I was looking forward to this dinner. Read some bad reviews and had a feeling things weren't going to go well. But I went ahead and made reservations anyway. Arrived and walk ups got seated before us at a better table. First warning. After we were seated we waited over 15 minutes to see our waitress and be asked for drinks. Had a Hawaii martini which was super sweet and nothing special for close to $10. Waited another 20 minutes for a salad appetizer and then we received our entrees 1.5 hours after we were seated. The walk ins ahead of us who got the better table were paying their bill when we got our food!!! What was the point of a reservation?

The wine list is nothing special and there are no special brands of liquors such as whiskies listed. A lot of goofy pop cocktails and martinis.

The place was packed but the waitresses seemed to be serving willy nilly Our waitress had a table at the entrance one on the deck and one to the back of the restaurant it made no sense which is partially why the service was so poor.

The Caesar salad was very nice I will say and the burgers,were deemed good too. The fries were bland and unsalted- rookie chef mistake.

The halibut and chips was almost $20 for a 1 piece. The halibut was adequate and the fries again tasteless and unsalted. The coleslaw was ruined by an overpowering amount of lemon!

Also ordered was a halibut dish. It was one piece of panko halibut. I.e. A fish and chip piece of fish. It was smothered with store bought cheap Thai chili sauce and served with cold jasmine rice that had an odd flavour and a small amount of greens with balsamic vinaigrette. Could they not match that dish with an Asian dressing as that one did not go at all. Just no thought into the dish. Oh and the halibut was served not on a nice China dish but a MELAMiNE plate!! That is also how the salmon was served. Seriously a $20 entree served on melamine!! We just don't care.

Our service was so slow and the wait staff so disinterested and unattentive that we passed,on the three desserts we were going to,order and decided to leave . Also in this decision was the fact that a group of 9 tourist with 2 babies and young children were seated behind us and perhaps,did not know,that,in Canada we do,not allow our children to eat off restaurant floors, pound on the tables and windows and smash glasses with Untensils. we also do not brush and pull our hair out at the table and throw it on the floor, pick nits out of our husband's hair all,the while complaining to the waitress to hurry up as we are in a hurry. They laughed at these antics and disturbed the entire restaurant section while the staff did nothing.

Salt spring seriously needs a great upper middle class restaurant. I need to,open one!!

3  Thank coffeechik

As a very diligent, hands-on owner of Salt Spring Inn, and one who works equally as hard to please our guests as do my staff, I was astounded by this review. After I reviewed the facts, I found there were so many inaccuracies from your having one of the most favourite tables (a booth) to the stated waiting time for service. From arrival to departure, 1 hour 40 minutes passed.
After noting that, in your last 50 reviews, 25 of them were given ratings of "terrible" and "poor", I completely understand your outlook and feel much better.
Our dedicated, long term staff, takes great pride in holding our food and service quality high, as we have for many years, and will remain fully accountable for "missing the boat" when it happens.

Reviewed August 1, 2018

Comfortable! The first word that comes to mind!
Was visiting for 2 nights! Great family dinner, kids, parents! Loads to choose from, I settled in with the Jambalaya and pizzas, both were excellent, to start , salads and crab cakes.
Atmosphere everywhere, my only regret was not saddling up at the bar, with all the history of the place, I'm sure there are some great stories. Service as friendly, professional and polite!!

Thank you, we are all pleased to receive your compliments and that you enjoyed your visit. Yes, this property had had many interesting chapters in its over 75 year history as it was built by a true "island pioneer".
We hope that we may show you some of the written history on a future visit.
Jeremy