“Superb Fish and Chips and service” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Seaside Kitchen

Seaside Kitchen
Cuisines: Seafood, Canadian
Good for: Scenic view, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
san diego
“Superb Fish and Chips and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

My wife and I have been coming to Salt Spring Island every year for the last decade. We’ve eaten at every restaurant, many several times. One of the attractions for us is the fresh produce, lamb, and poultry available through honor stands and various markets. Essentially, we enjoy eating good food, and savoring lovely places. The Seaside restaurant is a funky little place that hangs over a short cliff next to the ferry landing in Vesuvius. When the weather is warm we sit outside on the wooden patio under umbrellas advertising Piper’s and watch the ferry cross Sansum Narrows and return. There is little more relaxing than enjoying a great dining experience on a slow Salt Spring Island evening watching the sun reach for night from this view. Even the view from the inside is spectacular. But wherever you sit, the food is amazing. Keep in mind; this is a fish and chips place. It is not fine dining and though the salad is field fresh, and the grilled fish superbly done, the star here is the Halibut fish and chips. As health conscious as I try to be, I’m drawn back to their specialty. (Our 14 year old granddaughter loves fish and chips, and on a recent visit remarked how this was the best she’d had, just enough batter and so much fresh fish!) My wife, much more disciplined, can limit herself to a taste or two while enjoying either fresh halibut, or salmon. The other night, discipline won for me as well and I ordered the nightly special: grilled halibut and prawns, at the suggestion of our waitress, Pauline. It was amazing, (and came with fries). The place is often busy during summer, but the service is always great, keeping up with the rush with humor and professionalism rarely found anymore. Several people have raved about the desert which we recently learned another one of our favorite waitresses, Carol, makes every morning. The cheesecake is as good as any we've had in New York, but whatever you pick will be great. I have one tiny complaint….. We first learned about the restaurant when searching for the best hamburger on the island. And they may well have the best burger. But the kitchen is so small it’s only available for lunch, and we've never been hungry enough at lunch to find out.

1 Thank MapleRidge2

Point Roberts, Washington
“Disappointing in every way!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

My husband and I stopped in for a leisurely lunch, with plenty of time to spare before catching a ferry back to the mainland. We waited and waited, but no food arrived and we expressed to our waitress that we had no more time to wait. She smiled and told us that our food would be the next table up. We explained that we no longer had any time to eat, and the chef should pack the meals to go. We went up to settle the bill and watched as the slowest chef in creation leisurely made and packed our food. It never seemed to occur to the waitresses to tell him to put a rush on the order, nor did it occur to them to apologize to us for the delay and inconvenience. We would never give these people our business again!

3 Thank Robin D
Burnaby, Canada
“Service too long, food was so so and expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

We came here to have dinner as it was our wedding anniversary. We waited for 30 minutes for our food to arrive! The explanation was that they are busy and their kitchen is small. Not really my problem. I ordered the grilled halibut which costs $26. When it finally arrived the fish was not moist and flaky and the rice was dry. Disappointing. They charge too much for the dish and it's not fine dining. The server came by to ask how everything was with the food and before I could tell her that my food was dry, she turned around to attend to the table next to us. I didn't bother telling her as it felt like she didnt really care and was just going through the motions. I ate all my food anyway as I was hungry. My husband ordered the halibut fish and chips, at least that was good.

2 Thank A P
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Not so great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

The view is lovely in most directions (when not lo0king at Crofton pulp mill). We had a great waitress - she was friendly, fun and helpful. The food was okay - some things were much better than others (i.e., go for the onion rings, fish and chips or the oysters - skip the calamari or crab cakes). Unfortunately, after spending $500 on 12 of us for lunch the owner was just downright hostile and rude. It really ruined what had been a fun lunch up to that point. I have to say I left really begrudging having put all of that money in her pocket and felling a little abused. There are other places on Saltspring with good fish and chips and more welcoming hosts.

7 Thank Mia S
seasiderestaurant, Owner at Seaside Kitchen, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Hello, I apologize if you found me rude. Unfortunately I was trying to not ruin the experience for the other guests in my restaurant. You neglected to mention why I was abrupt. I feel the readers of Trip Advisor should know the inconsiderate behaviour of your party prompted my abruptness . An adult from your party ran through the restaurant and vomited on my front stairs, BECAUSE he was encouraged to drink multiple milkshakes by your party. Many of my guests inside were upset, and others did not come in after witnessing this display. We try to have a welcoming friendly atmosphere, that is what I was trying to protect when I asked you to be considerate of my other guests, and said this was not appropriate behaviour for a restaurant. Thank you
California
“The best seafood on the island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Not only is the outdoor deck a perfect spot on a sunny afternoon, but the fish is perfect. We both had halibut - my husband the grilled and I the fish and chips (except I only had half chip and half delicious salad) and both were the best. We were with 5 other people and everyone was raving about the fish and how fresh it was. I would go back here often if we lived anywhere close by. Service was a bit slow, but it was a lazy afternoon anyway.

• Visited July 2013