“Great special dinner place”

Restaurant House Piccolo
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
“Great special dinner place”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Always a wonderful meal and experience. Have eaten here many times. Relatively expensive but some of the best food on SSI.

Visited January 2013

Salt Spring Island, Canada
“excellent food and service”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

small, intimate restaurant, family owned and operated...was noisy on one occasion with a loud party,but otherwise.very relaxing

Visited December 2012
Sydney, Australia
“Classy but bit old fashioned”
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

We chose this restaurant on basis of Trip Advisor reviews which I rely on as they are always valuable and totally reliable. The restaurant is in a very quaint little house although decor was dated and a bit cutesy. There was an unpleasant stuffy odour when we walked in but I am highly sensitive to smells. The service was impeccable. The food certainly well presented and high quality. However we felt the menu was very 1980's although I note restaurant was founded in 1992. Suspect menu very much same now as then. But clearly it has been and continues to be a winner judging by TA comments. My Gorgonzola Cheese tart was wonderful as was my husband's Duck Fois Gras pate although he felt the pate was over priced. We were a bit disappointed with our mains. Couldn't fault the quality of food but my Muscovy Duck in orange and peppercorn sauce (bit too orangey I thought) and his Venison were presented like same dishes and we felt - apart from sauces on each - tasted much the same. Vegies cooked to perfection. Ambience a bit too dated to make me want to rush back but food was good despite my criticisms.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank WendyOz011
Vancouver
“Delicious food and great service”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My wife and I had a great celebration supper here, and found every aspect of the experience outstanding. The setting and ambience of a small home is perfect, and the service very attentive but not intrusive. The gorgonzola tart for appetizer was perfectly prepared, and the scallops in curry sauce spicy and exquisite. My wife had sablefish, done to perfection. For dessert we shared a delicious chocolate creme brulee. All in all a perfect evening.

• Visited February 2013
Kelowna, Canada
“Fine dining on the Island.”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We were in town for a wedding over the weekend on Salt Spring Island. House Piccolo was selected as the venue for the rehearsal dinner. The cozy atmosphere of the restaurant was a perfect fit for our group. The service was excellent and the food was beyond our expectations. I can honestly say it was one of the best meals I have had the pleasure of enjoying. I started with the baked local goat cheese salad and enjoyed every bite. My husband had the crab cakes which were equally delicious. For our main course we both enjoyed the catch of the day. It was the most fresh salmon and was cooked to perfection with a selection of fresh local vegetables. For desert we both enjoyed the warm lingonberry crepes served with vanilla ice cream. Truly a perfect way to end the evening.
I would highly recommend this restaurant and am already looking forward to our next trip to the island so we can enjoy another evening at House Piccolo.

• Visited February 2013