“Rustic Heavenly Serenity on beautiful St Mary Lake”
Review of Cedar Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Salt Spring Island
Cedar Beach Resort
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Recently stayed here in cabin 11 with my wife and two daughters aged 8 and 5. Cabin 11 is a two bedroom that is one of the closest cabins to the lovely little sand beach and pool area. The cabin was very rustic old school style, wood inside and out with small deck, small kitchen, small living and dining room area and small bathroom. This is a real cabin/cottage that was small and not luxurious by any means but clean and well equipped, but no TV, which was nice. Beds were comfy and the kids play area, small beach, pool and hottub were great and at our doorstep. The kids loved it! The beach house on the edge of the lake was also fantastic with ping pong, pool table, tvs and lots of chairs, sofas and loungers and nice big deck on the water. We enjoyed it so much we have already booked the more luxurious and near new two bedroom cabin 1 for next summer. The resort is also within 5 minutes of downtown Ganges which has many excellent restaurants, stores and other services. Great family lake getaway destination! The lake is absolutely sublime as well -- no motor boats permitted, calm warm water, good fishing and great vistas! Wow! Cabins 1 and 6 are both the newest and most luxurious units. At $160 a night for our cabin and about $200 a night for the newer bigger and more luxurious cabins in this location, I consider to be excellent value.

Room Tip: Cabins 1 and 6 are newest, biggest and nicest
1  Thank CaseyluvsSophie

Reviewed August 13, 2012

We have been renting 3 to 4 cabins every summer at this resort for several years. We can't say enough good things about the location, the cabins and the current management and staff. Management went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and that everyone had a great time. Great family friendly place.

1  Thank Tina S
Reviewed August 13, 2012

we went there for a family reunion in aug and the water in the lake was wonderful, the campsite for our trailer was adequately spaced and the bathroom was clean and so was the shower. I had absolutely no problems with the management, they were helpful, friendly and had a great sense of humor. We did have to pay for the kayaks and paddle boats but brought our own firewood. The cabin that one of the family members stayed at was not comfortable for them but the other cabins were wonderful. suggestions are to have a ladder on the raft in the lake, couldnt climb up that thing to save my life and some rope for climbing into the paddle boat not easy to do if youre in the middle of the lake. other than that, the kids loved the lake house, (need more ping pong balls and paddles) and we loved the group campfire. thanks for a great weekend.

Room Tip: you do have to pay for fire wood but everyplace charges, bring your own and you do have to pay for t...
2  Thank cheryl h
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Ok I have read the recent reviews on Cedar Beach Resort, and to be fair I have never stayed in a cabin there, but my family and I have camped in the campground on the August long weekend for the last 5 years, this year included. We had an amazing time, again this year, we caught and released a few fish from the dock, spent tons of time at the beach and in the water. We took advantage of all of their free services, including the canoes you can sign out for free and the free BBQ with propane at the gazebo. I did not see the management staff patrolling in a heavy handed manner or anything like that, they appeared very friendly and helpful to me, they even have free hotdog sticks you can borrow from the office!!

Anyway, I didn't see any of the problems that other people have written about, maybe it is different staying in the cabins or maybe they just had different expectations, but as far as "camping" goes this is very easy with free hot showers, a swimming pool, a hottub and even free wifi!!!

We will return next year!

3  Thank Jon M
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I am writing on behalf of the Board of Directors. We appreciate all of the feedback although we prefer if it is provided to our managers or Board members while our guests are still at our Resort. That way we can resolve any misunderstandings and make our guests' vacations as enjoyable as possible. My phone number and the phone number of another director are posted at the office. If there is something about your stay at our beloved Cedar Beach that is not meeting your expectations, please talk with our managers but if you are not happy with the response, please call us.

(By the way, I was not wanting to fill in the rating blanks but I couldn't submit my review without doing so. However, I do frequently stay at Cedar Beach with my family. There are still things we are working to improve but my wife and children and I love coming to Cedar Beach.)

Here are our responses to recent posts. You will see that we are now providing free propane in response to some of your comments.

1. We have hired new managers, Mark and Mary, who have come to us with extensive hospitality experience and they are doing a great job. Our managers do not conduct 'surveillance' on guests. However, we do require our manager to be ambassadors and to walk around the Resort at various points during the day and in the evening to ensure that all our guests can enjoy themselves at our safe and family-oriented resort.

2. Some of the information about boats and firewood in the recent posts is not accurate. We only charge $5 for pedal boats and nothing for canoes. The $5 pedal boat fee is to recoup the costs or purchasing the new pedal boats last year. We are also considering buying some kayaks. We do everything we can to add to the fun and options for our guests to enjoy their stay. All we ask for with canoes is that guests sign a waiver and pick up their paddles and life jackets from the office and return them when they are finished.

3. Regarding firewood, we only charge $5 for a whole box of firewood which also includes paper and kindling. This is an attempt at cost recovery although we usually have to subsidize the firewood because it is expensive to buy dry firewood on Saltspring. When possible, we have asked our managers to provide some free firewood for the community fire pit.

4. With respect to propane, we accept the comments that guests should not be expected to bring their own propane. We have discussed this with our managers and have arranged to provide propane at no charge to our guests.

5. St. Mary Lake is now open for swimming and fishing. We are fortunate that we have a beautiful heated swimming pool that guests could use while the lake was closed for swimming and can still use as an alternative to swimming in the lake. We did all we could to notify guests and potential guests of the notices from Vancouver Island Health Authority regarding the lake. The information was also posted on our web-site. We have members on the St. Mary Lake Stewardship Committee and we are proactively pursuing all possible options for preventing future algae blooms in our precious lake. Cedar Beach Resort has first class sewage treatment and water treatment plants and we are committed to high standards of environmental stewardship. We are trying to work with other property owners around the lake to put in place similar systems.

We are committed to making Cedar Beach a great place to come for a retreat, an adventure, or a great family holiday and we would appreciate any further feedback or suggestions.

Thank you for the opportunity to provide comments.

Murray, on behalf of the board of Directors

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank CedarBeachSSI
Reviewed July 19, 2012

That was disappointing! I had high hopes for this place and was really looking forward to going away with friends. The management staff are real pieces of work. They fail to mention on the website that use of the rowboats and firewood are not included in the price of your stay. You're expected to pay for the firewood in the communal fire pit as well! Our cabin was nice, but on the website, it said that the Master room (which was no different in size from the other room) had an en-suite bathroom? Lets be honest guys...it was a toilet...a closet with a toilet. Overall, i wouldn't go back UNLESS they got new staff. Its amazing how service can spoil an experience. If i was one of the owners of the cabin i would look into whats going on there. It seems like there are a few people having the same experience. Please...Call me when there's a change in Management...i will come back!...but until then, there are other way better places to stay on Salt Spring - Long Harbour Bed and Breakfast and Cusheon Lake Resort. Both with extremely friendly staff that ensure your staff is everything you wanted it to be!

Room Tip: wait for a change in staff and management!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
10  Thank MainSqueeze
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My dearest friends and I thought it would be a great idea taking my 2 sons and Mother to Salt Spring for my eldest son's 14th birthday. My Mother hadn't been to Salt Spring in over 25 years and I hoped that she would be taken away by it;s beauty and how it has evolved over the years. I surprised her by renting a cabin for myself and shared it with another friend of mine and their children. When we arrived at the cabin, we had to walk through blackberry bushes to get to the porch. My Mother who has a "Green Thumb" bigger than the Green Giant took it upon herself to start weeding the front porch area so the other children would not get injured by the thorns. We entered the cabin and it was "tidy" but not what I would call clean. Upon arrival to the cabin we were told that the lake was off limits due to an algae attack on the lake (this was not mentioned on the web site). When reserving the cabin we asked the limit of people in each cabin (keep in mind, that I'm a single parent with 2 children and my Mother and the person who I shared the cabin with was also a single parent with 2 children), and Mark, the manager said "the more the merrier, there's lots of room". We were so excited... Not at all... When we paid for the cabin Mark was shocked to see how many people were staying in one cabin. The cabin we stayed in slept 7 comfortably...my son loves sleeping on the floor with the door open...so the sleeping arrangements worked for all of us. We decided to relax the day we arrived as we arrived shortly after 7:00 pm. We notice the paddle boats and the canoes, the communal fire pit and the pool. All of which was mentioned on their website. What the website failed to mention was that the boats, canoes and wood for the communal fire pit had to be purchased. For $10.00 we received a banana box with a few sheets of newspaper, a handful of kindling, and 6 logs. The paddle boats were $10.00 for an hour and a half. The pool closed at 9:00 pm daily and the main office also closed at 7:00 pm daily. Keep in mind, its still daylight so the thought of a campfire really isn’t on our minds during those times. Did I mention the BBQ’s that are mentioned on the website located at every cabin? NO BBQ at my cabin, my friends cabin had a BBQ, as well as the communal area…with NO propane tanks. That was an additional cost. B.Y.O.P. (bring your own propane). What about the so called “Beach House”… if you consider a woodstove, a few wicker chairs, a ping pong table an uneven pool table with incorrect pool balls, cue and no chalk a place to kick back and enjoy, think again. The one thing that really bothered my children, my Mother and friends, was the fact that the managers were continuously patrolling the grounds at all hours of the day, not to mention roaming around our cabin in the early hours of the morning. I understand managers are responsible for the upkeep and continued care of the campgrounds. However, when it came to other campers who obviously were making a lot of noise until wee hours of the night were not told to quiet down, it made our stay uncomfortable and gave us a feeling of unfairness. From the start of our stay until the end of our stay we were treated unkindly, right until check-out when the managers accused us of breaking into his wood shed with an ax to steal wood. We came with suitcases of clothes and coolers. Why would we bring an axe if we’re staying in a cabin? I have stayed on Salt Spring before, at another resort, and to compare the two, I would say Cusheon Lake Resort is 10 out of 10 for hospitality, friendliness, cleanliness and most of all honesty! I felt like I walked into my own horror film. I was so embarrassed and I didn’t know how to explain this behaviour to my poor Mother. She sees Salt Spring as a total disappointment. Especially Cedar Beach Resort.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family