“serene and lovely accomodation”

Sky Valley Inn Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Salt Spring Island
Sky Valley Inn Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I have just come back from a 3 day getaway with my sister. We shared the very comfy king bed in the master suite which had a lovely deck and beautiful view. We were thankful for the gas fireplace which was great for heating the room. Very nice personal touches included the lavender sachets from the garden and the fragrant ginger soap. Gorgeous glass shower in the room.....so you better like your roomie :). Comfy robes in the closet. The hosts Cornelia and Richard were friendly helpful and gracious. They even lent us a book for hiking in the area. They have a lovely well behaved dog Murphy who respected his outside boundary. The mornings started with coffee outside the door, and the breakfasts were excellent- muffins, croissants and tarts by Cornelia, sweet and savoury souffles by Richard- complemented by homemade preserves. Very yummy. Another generous offering was delicious apples picked from the tree in the garden, and zucchini mocha muffins to go.The property itself was beautiful and quiet, about 8 km from Ganges. It was not difficult to find. We had a wonderful time and look forward to coming back.

Room Tip: the master suite has a lovely view
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank langleytraveller

Reviewed September 18, 2011

My husband and I just spent the weekend at the Sky Valley Inn B&B on Salt Spring island to celebrate our anniversary. It was an excellent experience! First of all, despite what someone said in a previous review, it was very easy to find. I printed off the map from their website, and just to be sure I had printed some driving instructions from google. The map and their own signs were more than enough. We stayed in the Garden Room and it was very lovely. It felt like a little piece of Provence! The bed was very comfortable and the decor was beautiful. The room was quite separate from the main house, so there was none of the awkwardness that you sometimes might feel at B&Bs. The setting was so serene that it was almost impossible to not feel calm and relaxed! If it had been warmer this weekend, we would have loved to sit by the gorgeous pool. The owners, Richard and Cornelia, were both so welcoming and friendly! They also made amazing breakfasts! I have stayed in many B&Bs and I have never had a better breakfast! Everything (including the jam) was homemade and it definitely kept you full for the day! We also really appreciated the tea outside our room in the morning. The only thing we wished was for a way to lock the door to our room when we left. Both my husband and I have spent far too long living in big cities so this was a little difficult for us to wrap our heads around, but honestly it is Salt Spring island in the middle of the country. The odds are extremely good that your stuff will be fine :-) Basically we felt that this B&B was excellent value and offered the beautiful, tranquil retreat we were looking for. We will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: The Garden Room is the most private and removed from the main house.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PinkUnicorn
Reviewed August 5, 2010

We have visited the Gulf Islands before and stayed last time at the Hastings House. It was very expensive then and still is now so due to the recession we decided to stay at Sky Valley B&B. For the price range, I think Sky Valley was a very good choice.

We had a very relaxing and peaceful stay. We were in the Garden room and it was clean and adequate with a large comfy bed. The shower had very good hot water and pressure was nice. There was an outdoor refrigerator that was available for the guests. It came in handy to store the fresh cheeses, crackers, olives and wine we bought on the island. I highly recommend stopping at the Salt Springs Cheeses.

The hosts Cornelia and Richard were nice and accommodating. Their adorable dogs, “Murphy and Lucy” greeted us at the gate and were good B&B dogs. I would have given a rating of 3 stars but added an extra star for the breakfasts served here. I thought the food was delicious and quite filling. It was also nice that they bought coffee tray and placed it outside your door each morning before your breakfast.

We were lucky that we had great sunny weather while visiting. It’s a shame that the outdoor pool was not heated (still waiting for a part for over a year). We enjoyed long hikes in beautiful Ruckles Provincial Park and look forward to jumping into the pool. It was refreshing to cool off. It’s too bad that the pool wasn’t as clean as it could have been? Maybe it’s not easy when there are trees surrounding the pool area. Lounging outdoors with a nice cool drink was wonderful and very relaxing.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank p0rt0bell0
Reviewed March 19, 2010

I don't stay at many B&B' because I prefer boutique hotels, but this was my second visit to Sky Valley and I can't say enough about how special this place is. The rooms are cozy, the beds are like giant down filled pillows waiting to embrace you each night. The rooms are private and quiet, with nothing to distract you but the sounds of crickets and frogs (seriously, no TV or Radio!). The hosts are gracious, quiet and respectful of your needs and privacy. But the breakfast is the icing on the cake. There is not a better breakfast in the country! Generous beyond imagination and consisting of baked treats (scones, banana cake, tarts), eggs (soufflé, frittata, omelette) coffee tea or hot chocolate, and house made jams and jellies. Cornelia is an amazing gardener and maker of jams & jellies. Both Cornelia and Richard know how to cook! You will not be disappointed - and if you are, it can only be because you don't enjoy peace, quite, comfort and good food.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Red_Apron_Ottawa
Reviewed March 9, 2009

Even though they have a 2 night minimum, they were kind enough to grant our request for a one night stay. First of all I'd like the address the comments of the previous negative review. Everyone is, of course, entitled to their opinion but I get the impression that there's a little more to that story. I would never have described the grounds as messy/dirty. It is wintertime, and the driveway is not paved so obviously there is going to be dirt/mud. Secondly, I'm not sure what their expectations were in terms of landscaping, but again, it's still winter...I saw nothing wrong with the grounds. We stayed in the Ivy Suite as it seemed to offer the most privacy (the other two rooms are along the walkway so anyone coming/going walks right past your room) and it was very clean and very nice. The huge deck off the back offers an amazing view of the mountains and ocean.

I too, thought the unlockable, sliding doors were a bit strange. While I assume there is always someone at home to 'protect' the suites, who's to stop one guest from entering another guest's suite? Especially considering our suite fronted the pool and everyone could see right in. I would highly recommend to the owners this be changed but that's just me.

The bed was fantastic but the only source of heat was a fireplace which was VERY noisy when the fan turned on, plus when it turns on in the middle of the night you're not only woken by the fan, but also the light. The fireplace is a nice touch but having another, quieter option for heating would also be nice. The shower is also lovely and the toilet is separate.

We only met Cornelia, not Richard and I will just say that since we are not the type to want to spend the day chatting with our hosts, we were fine with her demeanor but I would definitely say she's a tad reserved.

Breakfast was fantastic and their dogs are dolls, but I love dogs. If you don't, you may want to prepare yourself for their 'greeting'. :-)

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2009

The Sky Valley Inn was horrible. We paid over $220 to stay for one night, and it was a total rip off. It was difficult to find the place and the roads were treacherous. The outside was filthy (dirt everywhere, loose garden tools laying around, etc) and the inside was dusty and smelled. Our room was extremely cold and the fireplace had a foul smell. The room doors do not lock so we did not feel very safe there. The hosts paid no attention to our dietary restrictions and the food that we could eat was bland and unappetizing. The hosts did not bother to make any breakfast for us (hence missing the "breakfast" part of the "bed & breakfast") even though we politely requested it the night before and we spoke to them and paid them in the morning. They were neither friendly nor professional hosts, and they put in minimal effort for the money they took from us. I would strongly discourage people from staying at this place, and we would never visit this horrible place ever again.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
6  Thank babamama
Reviewed February 8, 2008

For us, finding this B&B was serendipity. As a family getaway, my mom was looking for a place that could teach her adult children how to cook and have a wonderful time in the process. As this is not a standard request, the Saltspring Chamber of Commerce connected us with Richard and Cornelia who orchestrated a wonderful culinary weekend for our family. We were treated like VIPs. As we were a party of 5, we were the only guests at Sky Valley and the service was impeccable. From the tea and coffee outside our door each morning, to making reservations for us at local restaurants, Richard and Cornelia provided an outstanding experience. The culinary evening that they planned for us began in the afternoon: it consisted of preparing amazing food (with great instruction provided to us by Richard as we cooked, and by Cornelia who sent us home with recipes, spices and homemade preserves to use when we recreated our meals at home), sampling amazing wine and wonderful conversation well into the night. Of course, the food they serve for breakfast is homemade and excellent, too!
We would not hesitate to return to this B&B. The location and amenities are beautiful; the service and food superb! What other B&B would turn itself into a culinary school for the weekend just to grant one little Christmas wish for our family?!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)