“why invest in upgrades if we all keep going there?”

Ganges Marina and Boatel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Salt Spring Island
Ganges Marina and Boatel
Vancouver, Canada
“why invest in upgrades if we all keep going there?”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Disgusting toilets smelt fishy overflowing garbage cans, no hand towels plugged toilet with more floating logs than the Fraser River and grotty showers a total rip off compared to other B.C marinas very shoddy condition appears to be being milked for all its worth and no re-investing there's not really an alternative if you like the town and its very obvious that this is the case.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank jackielynn885

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Canada
Reviewed August 15, 2013

With the number of luxury boats and the number of boating people using this facility it is in deplorable shape. Boards are loose, nothing looks like it has been attended to in years, the anti skid bats on the walkways are deteriorating. The bathrooms are disgusting . There are old pieces of docks and docking material strewn everywhere. They have made no attempts to make this an inviting place. I suspect it is the only option for boat parking on this side of the island so they go with that. Too bad as the location is perfect. Do not go here if you are expecting anything other than access to the town. Saw better docking facilities in Turkey 20 years ago!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank doraCanada

Travelers are raving about these Salt Spring Island hotels

Seattle, WA
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I agree with the other reviews posted. The docks and facilities are in poor repair. When we stayed, there was an abundance of junk in the water and the whole place smelled pretty unpleasant. The folks working at the marina were very nice, though. It costs extra for garbage and there is no pump-out. Ganges is a great town and the marina is in a good location, so if you REALLY need a marina, say to plug in to shore power, this place would do the trick. We stayed one night and then moved to the Government Breakwater Wharf, just south of the Ganges Marina. If you can get a spot there, the Breakwater Wharf is a much better alternative and half the price. The Harbor Master will even let you dispose of one bag of trash for free. I would definitely like to go back to Ganges, but probably would not return to the Ganges Marina.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wall-king
Kennewick, Washington
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I think this Marina could use a bit of sprucing up. They were very professional in helping us get into our reserved slip, but the facilities were only so-so. The toilet and shower facilities are not the nicest and the toilets seemed to plug up. Trash disposal is not included in moorage fees. Docks could use a bit of repair in places. The abandoned pool was an eyesore. No nice area just outside the marina to exercise pets...you have to take them to a nearby park. Very convenient walking distance to shops, restaurants and groceries though.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank OutdoorBoomer
Seattle
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

With a great location in the harbor, this marina suffers from total lack of maintenance, repairs and upgrades. With the exception of the mega-yacht dock, the docks are shabby with loose cleats, power boxes that are rusty with many outlets that are defective. More than half the showers don't work. The floors aren't clean, and so forth. The fairways leading to many slips are full of jetsam and snags. And for all this you are charged over $50 per night for a 30-footer. Maybe the clientele has fallen off but it sure looks like someone or group "takes the money and runs". Who could recommend this marina unless they are numb to the shortcomings and enjoy the smells of decay and the sight of rats scrambling over the rocks?

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Cmndrpilot
Okotoks, Canada
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed a couple nights here on two different occasions and the experience was reasonable- though I had the other review in mind when we went there both times and could see its accuracy.

Getting the slip assignment wasn't bad though being quite busy we were lucky to get a slip. It was on a broken section of the dock (to qualify that, it had been broken during a winter storm and hadn't had electrical services restored) and that was fine...

One of the web pages my GF had found that described marina amenities said there was a pool so quite innocently she approached one of the dock staff and asked about whether there was one. "Yeah, like 10 years ago." My GF said she was made to feel as if she were the stupidest person on the island in the demeaning tone used in the reply.

Okay- so someone had a bad day... or someone had no people skills (maybe it was us?)... We brushed that off and had a decent stay. It has good access to the town and generally decent quality docks. Some areas needed some work- but that's to be expected. There was a LOT going on (Canada Day long weekend) and people were everywhere!

The rate was fair... payment was easy... To be fair I was originally going to rate this as a 3 (average) but I think the town (and the proximity thereto) at LEAST warrants a 4 as it is full of "life" and quite unique in its own right.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ian M
comox
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Basic marina with basic services BUT the personal services were horrible.

After arriving the girl who assisted us dock briefly pointed out the electrical box we were to use and we noted it and then paid for service BUT we only secured the boat before leaving to enjoy the village and go to dinner, thinking we could connect shore power when we got back as we did not need it immediately. BIG mistake.

After dinner we got back to the boat relatively late (about 10 PM) The marina office was closed, which we commented on as we passed because we were wondering how folks sign in when they arrive after hours.

When we got back to the boat we discovered there was an out of service sticker on the only remaining electrical outlet so we went into conserve mode and did not use any electrical that night nor could we charge our various computers or phones etc. ... no real biggie, we figured we'd let them know in the morning and we'd get our $5 fee refunded.

When my husband reported it in the morning he was basically told they would NOT refund our money and the reason was that he did not report it ON the day and he was told there was no way they could know if we were telling the TRUTH. Basically he was called a liar. I was shocked to be treated in such a manner over such a silly small issue. They did send someone over to confirm that there was indeed an out of service sticker on our receptacle ... it was about 10 AM when they did and unfortunately our neighbours had left and I immediately plugged us in so we wouldn't get stuck with the non functioning slot for our second night. Keep in mind that my husband was called a liar BEFORE anyone came to check.

It became a matter of principle for me at that point. I was not going to stand for being called a liar and I was NOT going to pay for a service I did not receive. After many heated words the manager finally waved a $5 bill in my face from his own pocket with ill grace and i decided to accept it with equal ill grace.

A simple sorry and a simple refund with apologies is what was called for here NOT accusing us of trying to steal a measly $5 service for free by LYING about the fact that it was out of order, when it clearly WAS.

All in all a very distasteful experience and horrible disrespectful customer service. I was humiliated and angry for the remainder of my stay and it is my sincere hope that someday somehow the marina manager is called to task for the way he treats paying customers.

Such a silly end to what should have been a trivial issue.

AS an aside the other services were in poor repair as well ... half the showers were out of order and the ones that WERE working, happened to be located in the same room as the laundry facilities which made the room extremely hot and uncomfortable for showering, or anything else ... on top of that half way through my laundry the fuse box apparently tripped making me have to spend another hour waiting for my laundry to finish. The manager (who was already probably pretty ticked at me) repaired it without so much as a sorry for the inconvenience, but after the earlier altercation I am surprised he fixed it at all actually ... probably wasn`t aware it was ME that was having the problem when the girl cleaning the bathrooms reported it as an issue after I told her about it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family