“The Perfect SKI Lodge for People who like People”
Review of Ram's Head Inn

Ram's Head Inn
Ram's Head Inn
Ranked #4 of 6 Rossland B&B and Inns
Montreal, Qc
“The Perfect SKI Lodge for People who like People”
Reviewed January 21, 2010

After reading mixed reviews, I was a bit concerned, but my experience at the Inn was just awesome. Not sure about the staff problems reported, since we found them to be nothing but welcoming and very helpful.

Part of the fun of ski vacations is the discussions of the days runs and sharing the excitement of new snow with strangers that soon feel like friends. Not deluxe, but the Rams head is more than comfortable. Clean room, comfy bed, nice little extras (we had a balcony, pleasant room, bar-fridge, inroom coffee, etc), wifi in room.

The breakfast was amazing (was served from 8-8:30am) and one of the best I have ever had for $5. Loved that it was served in a restricted time - was hot, fresh and lots of good ski talk around the table.

Hot tub is a neat wooden one outside with great trees and snow surrounding. It was hot and clean. Much nicer than the one we had the night before in a Red Condo.

Inn is just a 2 minute walk to the lifts. Perfect location for people who are more concerned with fresh powder, chatting with fellow skiers, a comfy lodge feel than luxury surroundings. No valets here!

I found the $120 to be a super deal for the proximity to the lifts, sweet lodge and great breakfast. Would certainly return.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Lake Tapps, WA
Reviewed January 17, 2010

What a wonderful location to spend vacation. Great value, the rooms were comfortable, clean and nice, beds super comfortable! The people working here are friendly, upbeat and helpful .... one of the best parts is breakfast...yum, yum, yum. You feel like you are staying in well-appointed guest room at a friend's house.

Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Colorado
Reviewed June 23, 2009

When I went to check in there was only some guy in the office that didn't know anything. Our key was in an envelope near the front door with room no. and insteuctions where the room was. The room smelled bad. I ask the guy for some ice and he said there was none. I ask where there was a place for dinner and he said we would have to drive in to town but we found a place 200 yards away. The lobby had stuff scattered around like someone was living in it. We did not stay for breakfast as we had enough of a bad deal. After I had been to the room I told the guy it was not what I was told it would be and he would not answer me. There was no one around when we left. I would not stay in this bed and breakfast ever again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Calgary
Reviewed March 26, 2009

Red is a great hill and skiing there was a joy, so we will be back. Although we will be looking for a different place to stay!

There were some good aspects to the inn:

-it's location at the base of the hill
-the great breakfast spreads
-some free ski passes added as a perk

But these goodies could not make up for the disappointing:

-the dirty, smelly hot tub that gave my husband and I skin infections (rashes and folliculitis) that we are still suffering from days later...
-the dated rooms (pink sink and toilet, holes in the walls, baseboards ripped out with nails hanging, dirty carpet)
-and a host that was hot and cold (nice one moment, rude the next) that gave you the impression she would rather be anywhere but there!

We usually stay in moderately priced B&B's or rustic inns like this one when we are on a ski holiday and consider ourselves pretty easy going. If the bed is firm, the room is clean and the host makes us feel at home then the review is good. This one fell short enough that I would tell friends and family to steer clear.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Rochester, New York
Reviewed March 5, 2009

There had been some mixed comments on the Inn, and so I was a little hestitant. Those fears were allayed as soon as I walked up the half-log steps, and to the big double doors with rams horns for a handle. Olga was terrific. She showed us around the inn, and then to our rooms. She accomodated my vegetarian breakfast needs, and made sure I knew the location of the short path through the woods that exits in the Red Mountain ski resort parking log. The teak hot tub was nice. We got a standard queen room, which was clean and simple. The standard room is on the small side. If you plan on staying in the room much and like to have more room, I recommend upgrading.
There was a small flatscreen color TV, a nice clock radio alarm, small refrigerator, and coffee/tea maker.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed September 23, 2008

I cannot understand the previous 5 star ratings... Maybe Ram's Head has just plummeted in terms of quality in the months since the last review. What a horrible place. WE were there for a wedding and all guests that I consulted were taken aback by 1) the filth of the place (e.g. one hotel room had a serious problem with a fly infestation 2) the lack of comfort at the place (rooms are substandard, the carpets are old and dingy etc) 3) the surliness and laziness of the hotel staff (e.g. when asked to correct the fly problem with vacuuming, they just shrugged and actually did not fix it....AND they did not clean the rooms during the day at all!!) )4) the sheer rudeness of the staff (they were overheard growling at children, not knowing parents were in earshot. When asked for anything, their responses verged on hostile. Not to mention the fact that I phoned about 5 times to make a booking - and noone was ever there! The hotel is NOT service oriented - and yet they charge not inconsiderable rates! I would not recommend the Ram's Head to anyone. I hope construction developments that are underway in the area produce a new hotel that results in its rapid demise.

• Liked — The back of the hotel is wooded
  • Disliked — Accommodation quality and staff
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
toronto
Reviewed March 19, 2008

Stayed for 3 days and loved it. Will return again next year for sure. Our King/Queen room was large, beds very comfy and bathroom area quite spacious. Well appointed, clean and although a very old building, there had obviously been recent refurbishment. (good TV and a min fridge) excellent breakfast, buffet style, and varied with choices re fruit, rolls,pastries, hot dishes..delicious. (We didn't find that the short window of time - 7:30 to 8:00 forbreakfast was a problem .it suited our schedule perfectly.)This Inn has seen better days in some of its areas but it is truly comfortable and offers all you need. (large ski storage with boot warmers, a hot tub, sauna )You can hike up to the lift on a short trail behind the Inn which takes you to the parking lot. From
Toronto, we flew to Kelowna and drove from there..a long but pretty drive. Dont know how you would get there otherwise although there is a shuttle from Spokane but Iwould still like a car to get around as there isn't muc at the resort itself and you would want to get into Rossland for more variety of restaurants and nightlife.

• Liked — comfort and convenience
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rossland
Prestige Mountain Resort Rossland
#3 of 4 in Rossland
Rossland Motel
Rossland Motel
#4 of 4 in Rossland

Been to Ram's Head Inn? Share your experiences!