“My Trip To The Past”

North Pacific Cannery Museum
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I was a child when I lived in Sunnyside. Many good memories. The tour of NP Cannery Museum sort of helped bring me back to the days of my youth. I was pleased to see that the existing buildings were intact and that they still resemble how they looked back then. Yes, as a child my family brought us to other canneries in the area to visit other family members and friends.

Although the tour only talks about how the cannery dressed, gutted, cut, and canned the fish, and how the machinery made the cans and the cooking part of it, I think it would help people understand if there was also someone who explained the community of people that lived in the area at the time. I've been out there twice, once in the 2000's and just last summer, 2013. Both times the party I was with talked about "those days" and the tourists in both groups were quite interested in what we had to say. In fact the first group, who happed to be a family from England, stopped and joined my mother, my sister and myself to listen to what we had to say. Then last summer, three of the tourists followed my cousin and I to hear what we had to say. Needless to say they were all quite fascinated with what shared about our experiences of "those days".

However, it was a good tour... knowing in our own hearts what displays brought our memories back. =) Thank you Stephanie, for the awesome tour.

1  Thank Aamagatum H

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I visited this museum in April 2011 when it was just open. The renovations and informative displays give you the feeling of being at the cannery back in the day. It is not overly commercial and is surrounded by beautiful B.C. Scenery. Well worth the visit. I'd highly recommend a guided tour next time you're in Rupert.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very interesting place to learn more about Canada's history. The museum acquires artifacts, archival records and reference material relating to the North Pacific Cannery and to different aspects of the fishing industry on the north coast of B.C from 1880 to 1970. Really great guided tours.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Needs to be supported to further it's development. Government grant would certainly help. It has great tourist potential.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

A cannery that used to be very busy canning fish but is now a tourist attraction. One can take a self guided "tour", ie, walk around, or one can be led by a fast talking young person who tells some of the history of British Columbia fishing and canning. It is interesting. I've worked in canneries in my youth so was very entertained, if you're a person that likes old machines, typewriters, and that sort of thing, you will enjoy this tour.