“Absolutely unbelievable - hard to describe”

Palmerville Adventures - Day Tours
Ranked #8 of 18 Tours in Prince Rupert
Hobart, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Absolutely unbelievable - hard to describe”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I have read a LOT of reviews on this site but have never actually submitted one of my own. I felt like Greg and Palmerville deserved this one though:

I come from a pretty nice part of Tasmania, but the location of Palmerville is something else. It is utterly spectacular. I have never been to a more isolated part of the world, and yet been completely comfortable and looked after. Greg's lodge is a work of art - I can't imagine there would be another one anything like it anywhere. He built it himself, uses water from the shore and has pretty much every comfort you can imagine - hot showers, internet, a sauna. To have all this in the most dramatic wilderness experience is pretty special. To wake up and remember that you are in the middle of nowhere, in a grizzly bear sanctuary, floating 10-15 metres out from the shore is a pretty amazing way to wake up.

Then there are a the bears. Of course there are going to be times where they don't show up. These bears are entirely unaffected by the presence of people - largely because it is such a difficult place to access. Therefore, any expectation that they turn up on cue is ridiculous.

Having said that, after a couple of tries, we were lucky enough to see 3 grizzlys and about 20-30 humpback whales in the one afternoon. I regularly seek out wildlife experiences when I travel and am often disappointed at the overcrowded nature of this experience, but this was just us, Greg, the bears and the whales which really sums up the whole experience of Palmerville.

It is an amazing place and I hope I get an opportunity to go back one day.

Visited September 2012
4 Thank Tassie4

Prince Rupert, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Experience of a lifetime!!”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I've been lucky enough to visit Palmerville a few times in the past 3 years and I'm always blown away by the scenery, the bears, Greg's unique floating lodge and his wonderful hospitality. Greg always goes above and beyond when it comes to his guests and it only takes one look at his guest book to know that people from all over the world say this tour is the highlight of their trip to BC, to Canada...many even say it's the best experience they've every had!! This tour is not to be missed if you love pristine wilderness and close encounters with wildlife!
Thanks Greg for an awesome time.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank ReyannEliza
Warnsveld, The Netherlands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Palmerville two days with no bears”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We booked a three tours / two days (1 night) tour with Greg Palmer (Palmerville). We paid quite a bit for that. Shortly after the first tour out on the water, Greg told us that our plane would leave earlier the following day than what we had booked (11:30 instead of 16:00) and as consequence we would only get 2 tours instead of 3. And no, we did not get a refund for that.

In the two tours (of about 1.5 hour each) we didn't see bears (well we probably did see one, but that was really really far away). That made it really a pity that we did not do the third tour as planned. Also 3 hours on the water searching for bears is relatively short in our stay of 24 hours at Palmerville.

On the other hand: Greg seems to be a nice guy, was really friendly. The food was good. And the area is really fantastic. And Palmerville (the accomodation) is authentic.

Visited August 2012
5 Thank Erwin F
Bangor, Maine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Beware of pre-booking”
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I pre-booked a trip based on Greg's assurances that we could have a refund if the weather wasn't suitable for my photography. The day we arrived it was very windy with rain (some heavy downpours). When I asked for a refund Greg sited his website refund policy which says he only refunds if HE cancels. So now we are out $900 plus because Greg can't stand by his own words. My mistake was not getting it in writing before we booked the trip.

Visited August 2011