“Great hotel, Great reasturant”
Review of Crest Hotel

Crest Hotel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Prince Rupert
Prince George
“Great hotel, Great reasturant”
Reviewed June 23, 2009

Great place to stay for a group or family. My mom, sister and I stayed there for a week in May of 2008 and again in 2009. Everyone who works at the hotel and lives in the community is extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel has Good sized rooms that have been recently renovated. Make sure to book one with an ocean view. All rooms are nicely decorated. The rooms are clean and housekeeping is extremely friendly and attentive. The restaurant is one of the best if not the best that I have ever eaten in. Food is a bit pricy, but is it ever worth it! This resturant combines superb food, stunning veiws, and great staff all in one! The hotel also offers plenty of parking and a nice little hottub overlooking the ocean. My family and I find Prince Rupert to be a wonderful little town with friendly people, great fishing, and lots of things to see and do. Overall we found our stay at the Crest great on both occasions and we hope to go back again soon.

• Stayed May 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
northern BC
Reviewed June 16, 2009

I stay in a lot of hotels and for the price, this hotel just doesn't measure up. No air conditioning and if you unfortunate enough to need a room in late spring summer and you get the wrong side of the hotel the noise from patrons spilling out of the restaurant and pub through your open windows will surely make you question the price you are paying. The rooms and hallways have a smell of damp and for a hotel that has supposedly been recently renovated you will wonder if it wasn't just a coat of paint over mildew and some new carpet. The water pressure is also dismal. Bathrooms are cramped. There are limited choices out here and I guess scarcity gives these folks a boost. Being a frequent guest doesn't seem to help you with room selection. They don't seem to consider your preferences (ie., quiet) and needs (ie., quiet) if you are business traveler who doesn't want to pay an extra 20.00 for a view of fog. I guess I won't have any choice but pay the premium if I want a quiet room. I certainly will put more effort into to making alternative arrangements.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank frequenttraveler088
Cypress, Texas
Reviewed June 14, 2009

We spent two nights at the Crest after arriving on the BC Ferry from Port Hardy. We were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to the fourth floor, which is comprised of about six extra large rooms, with separate sitting area, full kitchen facilities, a balcony and a large sleeping area. The room was fantastic, and we enjoyed it immensely.

Everything is new and high tech. Maybe too high tech. The heating and cooling control panel appears to have been designed by an engineering student seeking bonus points for complexity. If you want to heat your room, there is a whole separate dial to control the temperature. There is also a slick new HDTV with 1080p capability, but alas the only channels offered are standard definition. Not good for watching hockey!

The hotel's location is very good, although it is a bit hard to navigate through the city and find the parking entrance when arriving from the ferry after dark. However, the hotel is adjacent to the Museum of Northern British Columbia, and an easy walk to Cow Bay with it's multiple dining options. We did not have a meal other than breakfast at the hotel, so cannot comment on the dining room.

The front desk staff was pleasant enough and very helpful on the basics like mailing postcards to the US, but were less helpful in explaining that the balcony light would go on and off automatically (when we could not find a switch to turn it off our first night) and in explaining where to find certain TV channels. There was also only about one half of a roll of toilet paper in the room when we arrived.

We realize we won't get upgraded every time we come, but we were certainly glad we paid extra for the water view and will take any upgrade we are given. Certainly a very pleasant hotel

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
surrey, british columbia
Reviewed May 21, 2009

As a result of work commitments, I was to spend five nights in scenic (but wet) Prince Rupert, British Columbia. Based on TripAdvisor reviews, I booked a room at The Crest Hotel in Prince Rupert for five nights -- May 10 to 15, 2009.

After enduring the crazy three-and-a-half hour trip from Vancouver International Airport to downtown Prince Rupert (a two hour flight to Prince Rupert Airport on Digby Island, followed by a ride on an old school bus from Prince Rupert Airport to a barge, followed by a barge trip from Digby Island to Prince Rupert, and then the remaining portion of the school bus ride to the Highliner Plaza Hotel where everyone disembarks the bus), I made my way to the Crest Hotel (they really need to provide a pick-up service for guests arriving at the airport).

The physical setting of the Crest Hotel is impressive. Located overlooking the ocean, the scenery is beautiful. Of course, being Prince Rupert where it rains 300 days of the year you might not get a chance to enjoy the view, but there is a calming effect to sitting on the restaurant patio and looking over the beautiful ocean and islands that surround Prince Rupert.

I checked in without difficulty and was given a “Signature King Room” on the top floor of the hotel as per my reservation. The cost was $189 plus tax per evening. I was informed that the top floor was the 4th floor and that it was a new addition to the hotel. My room was clean and modern looking, but not very large. In addition to the King size bed; there was a 27 inch flat screen television, a small desk, an easy chair, and a small balcony overlooking the parking lot (with a partial view of the ocean). The washroom was very disappointing, as the so called soaker tub was very small and the shower had a low ceiling and a rain type shower head that was too low, such that I could not stand straight in the shower (I am 6 feet 5 inches tall). It seems to me that an architect could have designed a much nicer and consumer friendly washroom. Overall, I would say that the “Signature King” room I had was disappointing, given that the room was relatively new and apparently one of their better rooms.

The waterfront Restaurant and adjacent Charley’s Lounge are top notch with great views of the surrounding ocean and islands. The food was excellent (try the fish and chips – made with locally caught halibut!) and the drinks were not overpriced.

Because my work came to an unexpected early conclusion, I was able to check out of the hotel after just one day in Prince Rupert in the early evening of May 11, 2009. The Crest Hotel was very good in that there were no additional fees for the early check out. I thought that they might at least charge me an additional night’s accommodation given that it was 5 pm when I unexpectedly checked out, but no, they treated me great and only charged me for the one night’s accommodation.

Overall, I’d say that the Crest Hotel is in a good location if you want to be close to the courthouse (one block away) or in the downtown area of Prince Rupert. There is a Starbucks Coffeehouse located across the street, while on one side of the Crest Hotel there is a casino and on the other side of the hotel is the Museum of Northern British Columbia. But remember, this is Prince Rupert, not a big city, so while the Crest Hotel may be the number one place to stay in town, you’ll not be getting 5 star accommodations. I rate the Crest Hotel a 7 out of 10.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank David P
Scott035, general manager at Crest Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and the traveling public. I am glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay. I am disapointed to hear of your concerns regarding your guestroom. We recently completed construction of our new signature floor which features 5 suites with executive kitchens and the signature king that you stayed in. I have noted your concerns with regards to the ceiling height in the shower, we would have prefered to have a ceiling height of 9' as we offer in the guest room area however the mechanical and hvac requirements impacted our available ceiling height. We do believe that the features and finishings throughout our new rooms including Italian marble floors and vanity offer our guests more than their expectations.

We look forward to having you visit us in the future.

Scott Farwell
Crest Hotel
Prince Rupert
Port Moody, Canada
Reviewed May 8, 2009

Excellent value for the $119 nightly rate. Room was clean, comfortable, and well furnished. Only minor complaint was the small bathroom and the lack of a place to set down items on the small washbasin.

The food is excellent, over priced and room service ketchup and salt / pepper packs and one knife and fork , regadless of whether you have two plates, e.g. salad / appetizer and entree make you feel like you have just picked up at a fast food outlet, despite ordering a $39, seven ounce steak, and being charged an additional $5 for room "service", - no that does not include any gratuity for the person delivering your meal! Room service staff attitude was as if they are doing a favour by taking an order and delivering it. The Gondola down by the Highliner Inn is an excellent Italian Restaurant with an equally great view and great food and warm service!

Overall though , the hotel is very attractive, quiet, and I would highly recommend it over any of the alternatives. A negative example would be the Highliner, which would seem to fit in to an urban ghetto or Beirut. The other hotels in town also have a generally run down, seedy appearance.

I should add that my room had a beautiful view.

Other than the foodservice

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
California
Reviewed April 28, 2009

I was expecting a clean room in a "motel". The Crest was much nicer than that. It is beautifully set on beautiful Prince Rupert harbor. My room had just been redone. In addition to being fresh and clean, it even had a bit of style. The hotel (which isn't much from the outside) is within walking distance of the Norther BC Museum and the fun shops on the wharf. The only real competition is the Coast Hotel. It looked like a Stalinist block from the outside and wasn't on the water. The Crest isn't a Four Seasons, but compares favorably with Four Points and can be very proud of the way it competes in the 3 to 3 1/2 star category. The food is the restaurant was good and the restaurant is an all glass affair that hangs out over the truly gorgeous harbor.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
smithers,bc
Reviewed April 16, 2009

I think this hotel could be great, they have a fantastic location & a few good staff. however, they have little loyalty to those who stay there often & do not train their staff to adequately meet their clients needs. We return year after year for an event & I STILL have had bad experiences(staff not paying attention to simple requests), although....I admit I return. You can't beat the view from the dining room, even on a cloudy day & the staff in the restaurant are great.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business