“Take ear plugs with you.”
Review of Crest Hotel

Crest Hotel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Prince Rupert
Poole, United Kingdom
“Take ear plugs with you.”
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

We arrived here at about midnight after making the fifteen hour trip on the BC ferry from Port Hardy. Our friends and us had booked rooms, we were given a room on the ground floor, our friends were on the floor above.we were exhausted, and fell into bed, which was very comfortable. We were awoken at 3.15am by a party which was obviously going on in the room above us. They could have been in the room with us judging by the volume of noise, and the language being used was foul. We stuck it for a while, I even leaned out of the window and yelled " please be quiet"- I doubt they even heard. After about half an hour, I phoned reception, I have to say the lady was sympathetic, and after about ten minutes, we heard the phone ring in the room above, which proves how bad the soundproofing is between ground and first floor. This however had little effect, and the noise continued until 4.15 am.
The hotel was full, our friends had no trouble, the hotel itself was fine, good shower, good breakfast, my only advice is to avoid the ground floor if you need a good nights sleep, my husband and I walked around like zombies for the next day.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank jill190872

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Prince George, Canada
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I recently stayed at the Crest, which is my favourite hotel in Prince Rupert. For the first time ever, I was given a room that overlooked the parking lot, and I learned that the room really does matter because I had a completely different experience than on previous occassions. It was unusually warm, and my room had no air conditioning. (In our group, only 2 rooms had air conditioning, the rest of us used the small fans we found in the closets). Unlike the oceanview rooms, there is no breeze when I opened my windows so my room didn't cool off well, despite the fan provided by the hotel. I needed to leave the windows open all night to make the temperature tolerable, but was "treated" to loud conversations in the parking lot, diesel trucks starting up, and a late-night screaming row in the casino parking lot next door. My bed springs creaked, the elevator wasn't as clean as it should have been, and when I tried to watch tv the satellite signal kept cutting in and out, so I gave up. The internet worked well, and my room was quiet in terms of not being able to hear the people in neighbouring rooms. The location is great, but I have to admit that my stay was less than satisfactory. If I hadn't been there with a bunch of other people for a meeting, I would probably have tried to change hotels.

Room Tip: Ensure you get an ocean view room - they're lovely. If your room faces the parking lot and it...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Irvine, California
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Hotel is clean and in good condition, with friendly, efficient staff. Harbor view room on 2nd floor overlooked the exhaust fans and other equipment from the restaurant below which were noisy if the window was open (no noise when the window was closed). If you want a harbor view room, I suggest you request a room on the 3rd or higher floor. Room was average size. Bathroom was quite small, with no counter around the basin. But it had new plumbing fixtures, and spotless tile. There was a small vanity counter outside the bathroom (with refrigerator under it), but lighting was poor in this area. As mentioned above, the window opens but there is no screen on it. Enclosed closet with full length mirrored doors. Electric baseboard heat. No air conditioning (really not needed in rainy Prince Rupert). Room features included an umbrella and binoculars. There was a sofa chair, plus desk/chair. Hotel is located on a hill above the harbor behind the fire station. In our 3 night stay, I did not hear any fire sirens. Safeway has a large market across the street; the Museum of Northern British Columbia is adjacent, and hotel is just 3 blocks (uphill) from Cow Bay, an easy walk. Restaurant on site. Free parking.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Vancouver
Reviewed June 8, 2014

what a great place. From check-in to check-out, the staff and hotel were great. You have to try their fabulous restaurant. A little pricey but some great food. You can't beat the location with stunning views of the inlet. Within easy walking to some great tourist shopping, other restaurants and downtown. Super comfortable beds and huge TV's if you have nothing else to do.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 30, 2014 via mobile

Perfect mix of classical, modern and culture. Clean rooms. Friendly and helpful staff. Best views in Prince Rupert, great Waterfront restaurant and Prince Charles lounge with top notch food including fresh local fish and other seafood.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 26, 2014

The Crest Hotel, Prince Rupert is a class above what you would expect to find in a similar destination. The Crest has a quality hotel "feel" about it, and whilst it is not a big property, it meets many of the accommodation standards set by hotels in larger cities.
The hotel's bars and restaurants are comfortable and have a sense of atmosphere. The food in the restaurant is also of good standard, particularly in the context of what's available in the rest of Prince Rupert.
The rooms are well,equipped and comfortable. A thoughtful touch is the inclusion of binoculars for the harbour side rooms. The only comment I would make regarding the rooms is that they are not as large as you would see in some similar hotels.
Finally, the hotel's tariff is quite reasonable given the quality of the service delivered. I recommend the Crest Hotel as the accommodation of choice in Prince Rupert.

Room Tip: Unless you are on a tight budget or travelling for business, it is really worthwhile to book a harbo...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Langley City, Canada
Reviewed May 17, 2014

My spouse and I made the trip from Terrace as we were visiting our parents for the easter long weeked. My parent recomme...nded the place.

Upon arrival, parking was absurd. There were 4 different vehicles in the lot out front taking up 2 spaces due to very poor parking, premium parking was the theme throughout our brief stay.

Our Front Desk Representative was pleasant, we gave him a $20.00 tip after he booked reservations for us for that evening at 7pm, and the next day at 1pm at the Restaurant on the Waterfront (inside the Crest Hotel). The room was rather small, and the window for the view was also quite small considering we paid a premium for the seaside view it would have been nice if it were viewable without standing directly in front of it.

Anyways our meal that night was okay, the food was expensive as would be expected. Our little 2 person table in the middle of the bustle was bareable, certainly nothing spectatular. The food was decent, I had the Porterhouse ($42.00) if my memory serves. We had a nice bottle of wine. We spent approximately $160.00 on dinner.

The next day we went for our brunch as it was easter, it was expected and understandably busy. We waited at the entrance to the restaurant for about 10 minutes before we were approached which was fine considering we were 10 minutes early for our reservation. The waitress/hostess walked us halfway across the restaurant before realizing she had nowhere to seat us. We were (alittle embarassed at this point, everyone in the restaurant staring at us) lead back to the front of the restaurant to wait a further 5-10 minutes while the staff scrambled to set a table for us.

We were then led to a table that was approximately 4 feet away from the busing station. This allowed us to have 3 seperate waitresses bend over only a couple inches from our elbows and table. We could not speak to each other over the rattle of cups, cutlery, and dishes in the drawers. The reason this was so loud was because the waitresses were scrambling to set 3 other tables that were now empty only a couple minutes after we were seated in no man's land in the corner near balcony, all of which were far better (including the best table in the house for a couple) a nice corner booth overlooking the water was it was raised above our table and others. Did I mention we had reservations? We sat there for a further 10 minutes while the waitresses hurriedly set the better tables, and refused to acknowledge the fact that we had our menus almost touching their butts on the edge of our table waiting to have; at the very least, our drink order taken.

My wife, Willow, the most selfless, and forgiving person on the planet first mentioned how we should just leave. After my atonishment at this revelation and declaration from such a sweat lady subsided, we collected what dignity we could, and passed the beautifully set tables not assigned to our reservation and left the restaurant not saying a word to anyone. We were sure it would do no good considering the treatment we had already received.

We went to the front desk of the hotel, to speak with the staff there, where I had made the reservation at the day before to declare our concerns as the Crest and this restaurant are affliated. The lady at the front desk did not say a single word to me at any point in the declaration. Not a "I will fix this", not a "I'm sorry this happened", not a "I apologize for this misunderstanding". She simply stood there behind the desk and stared at me while I attempted to explain everything from top to bottom as calmly as humanly possible.

At the end, upon my finding absolutely no sympathy from the staff member there, I told her we would be leaving the hotel a day early due to this experience. Still she said nothing, just stared at my wife and I blankly.

We went to McDonalds, and enjoyed exemplary customer service from the 16 year olds working there. The food was on par with the cost as well, and we found an excellent table in the corner of the restaurant where staff happily cleaned our table before we sat.

We returned to the hotel to collect our items from the room, returned to the front desk where I informed the staff that I would be sure to share our experience with everyone possible, and still the staff said absolutely nothing. Including the Front Desk Rep now there, that I had given the $20.00 dollar tip to the day before upon checking in.

If you are okay with the potential of being treated in this manner, then I recommend the Crest, and Restaurant on the Waterfront to you and your kin.

Otherwise steer clear, save your money, and go to the Super 8, I guarantee the service there will atl the very least be on par with the cost.

You have been warned.