“An elegant oasis in the north.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Crest Hotel

Crest Hotel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Prince Rupert
Hope
“An elegant oasis in the north.”
Reviewed May 12, 2011

Our signature suite was of the highest standard, beautifully decorated with a fantastic view of the harbour through floor to ceiling glass. The front desk staff helped us in every way with some urgent business matters. The also assisted us in planning a trip to Khutzeymateen Park. The restaurant and bar are very welcoming and the menu caters to all. The location is excellent being next door to the great museum (& casino on the other side) and a short stroll to the interesting shops and restaurants on the harbour front or to the town centre. We highly recommend the Crest Hotel and would never go to Prince Rupert without staying at this oasis in the north.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank goingroundtheworld

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
North Stradbroke Island, Australia
Reviewed November 6, 2010

We only stayed one night which was a pity - next time we will stay longer. Our room was smallish but had a window seat overlooking the water and was clean with comfortable beds. The staff were helpful and went out of their way to ensure our stay was pleasant. Charlie's Lounge and the Waterfront Restaurant were both great with fabulous views and good food.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LyndalB
British Columbia
Reviewed October 22, 2010

This was my second time staying at The Crest this year and I was hoping to experience a better stay. No such luck, unfortunately.

The first time I stayed the The Crest, my second floor room was next to the elevator, stairwell, and the ice machine. I wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry when I realized that my window was also directly over the main entrance, and that I was partially over the lounge where loud music was playing and could be clearly heard in my room.

I chose to laugh it off that time because I'm a pretty easy-going traveller. However, I politely asked for a quiet room for this stay and was relieved to hear that it was at the end of the hall. That relief quickly turned to dismay when I had to walk through a mouldy stench all the way to my room. I'm a business traveller, so I take issues like this in stride, but I couldn't help but feel sorry for couples who stay at this hotel as part of their cruise, hoping for a special stay. Had I been on a vacation, I would have been woefully disappointed. Talk about a mood killer.

Upon entering the room, I discovered welcome cookies, which were a nice touch. (I gave them to my colleague because her room didn't have any, so I'm not sure how they decide who gets them.) The room smelled slightly less mouldy than the hallway, but I can't say it smelled welcoming. I immediately opened all the windows even though it was cold and raining outside, to try to bring some fresh air inside.

The decor in the room was satisfactory, apart from the worn carpets and the smoke detector hanging down the wall from its wires. However, the bathroom left a lot to be desired. It was dated, very small, and the sink counter jutted out from the wall in front of the tub, making access to the taps more difficult than it should be. There was very little counter space and most of it was directly above the toilet, which doesn't appeal to me much, should something roll off. The toilet itself was situated right next to the door, making it almost impossible to open or close the door once seated on the toilet. This awkward design isn't a big deal for a solo traveller, but would be a real annoyance for a couple.

By the time I went to bed that night, I was considering not returning to the hotel due to the smell and the tired room decor. However, I found the bed to be extraordinarily comfortable, so that mellowed my negative opinion. The sheets were soft and smelled nice, and the pillows were perfect. I felt like I was sleeping in my own bed, and for that I was very grateful.

Unfortunately, my opinion soured the next morning. When I started the shower, I waited a minute and nothing but cold water was coming out. I turned off the cold water completely and let only the hot water run, and still I had no hot water. I waited one more minute, and then called the front desk. I was informed by the front desk staff that no other rooms had reported problems, but that it could be because my room was located so far down the hall. I was offered the option of going down to the gym to shower, because no maintenance person was on-site to assist. I decided to brave the cold water instead, and after a couple minutes it turned to a more bearable lukewarm, and then a couple minutes later it turned to a suitably warm temperature. Still, it was not a great start to the day.

I realize the staff can't control the fact that the hotel's hot water system is clearly not functioning properly. However, it would have been nice to have been forewarned upon check-in that the hot water could be slow to arrive to the room and perhaps advised to let it run for a full 5-10 minutes in the morning. Had I known that the hot water would eventually reach my room, I would have saved myself the unpleasant cold shower.

The strengths of this hotel are definitely its friendly, professional staff and its on-site lounge and restaurant. But those two things are just not enough to bring customers back. This hotel is in serious need of maintenance and upgrades.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank helenlovejoy
Scott035, General Manager at Crest Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2010
Dear Guest;
Thank you for taking the time to share some of your experiences with us during your recent visit to Prince Rupert. The Crest Hotel is a family owned hotel celebrating its 50th anniversary October 1, 2011.

This past year we completed renovations of our guest room hallways including carpeting, lighting and guest room doors. In October 2010 Prince Rupert experienced and significant storm that caused damage to our roof and some water damage within the building, which may have resulted in the musty smell that you describe. We completed all the necessary repairs to the building. During this time Prince Rupert also suffered a natural gas outage which impacted our hot water generating abilities, which have also been rectified.

We are 90% completed renovations to a number of guest rooms including updating to the bathrooms. These renovations include new tile/marble rain showers, new plumbing fixtures, and shelving units for guest amenities, which we believe make the guestroom bathroom more practical.
The experience that you have described is not to the standard that the Crest Hotel maintains. I would like to invite you to contact me directly for any future reservation. I am confident that you will not experience a similar situation.
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed October 13, 2010

Like most staying in Prince Rupert I imagine, our reason for being there was connected with the Ferry.

We arrived late in the evening - approximately 10pm, following the 15 hour ride from Port Hardy.

Despite the late hour, there were plenty of staff at reception, and all were friendly. What struck me however, were the little attentions to detail - for example, the mends washroom had not only sensor activated taps and handwash, but also an automatic door - which, for cleanliness freaks like me, meant you really didn't have to touch anything that others less fastidious than myself may have.

The bar was lively, not withstanding the late hour, and the breakfast we had the following morning was honestly one of the best we had during our 4 week stay in Canada/the US.

The room we had had a great view, and the hotel exuded a certain old-world character and charm - I'm surprised this is described as a motel, as it was cleaner/better decorated/had better service than many hotels I've stayed at.

I acknowledge that the price for the room was a little steep, but given the hotel's location, and the absence of any comparative competition, I suppose this is to be expected (although not forgiven), In view of the high price therefore, I'll rank this as a 3, rather than a 4.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GJNBennett
Bristol, England.
Reviewed September 29, 2010

We stayed here two nights as part of a tour. Our room was lovely, with a beautiful window seat overlooking the Inside Passage (sea and islands) and complimentary binoculars! The bathroom had a separate shower and whirlpool bath-really nice after the 15 hour boat trip from Port Hardy. My only criticism of the room would be thin partition walls- we could hear the people next door zipping their cases. However, it was clear, from things other tour members said, that ours was a particularly good room, and rooms overlooking the car park were not so nice. The restaurant was very good, with again wonderful waterfront views; the service at dinner was fine, but at breakfast and lunch it was slow-not so much the waitresses as the production of food. Prince Rupert is small, and the hotel was well placed for everything there was to see-mainly the fine museum next door, the remaining "pioneer" buildings from the early 20 century, and Cow Bay, where the seaplanes take off.

• Stayed September 2010
4 Thank Shawpathways
preston, uk
Reviewed September 19, 2010

Recently returned from two nights in this hotel.
We did not have smelly rooms, ours were large, clean and comfortable.
Friendly staff to go with this.
The hotel is right by the centre of a small town, Not a lot to do there, but the Casino, Museum, shops, bars and restaurants are all nearby.
We had one tour group dinner at the Waterfront restaurant. Both the food and the service were of good quality.

Stayed September 2010
3 Thank jcann
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed August 29, 2010

We were told that Crest Hotel was the best place in Prince Rupert so we booked a night there. To be fair we need to say that at least the receptionist was very friendly and helpful but the rooms - particularly the bathrooms - were frankly speaking disastrous. The room was very smelly, the bathroom was extremely small and the drain of the washbasin was completely blocked so that we had to clear it out ourselves first. We were really glad we could leave the next day again and we would definitely not recommend this place.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple