“Quick and Friendly Service, Good Food, and Easy on the Wallet”

Japanese Wasabi Sushi Wonton House
Ranked #12 of 233 Restaurants in Prince George
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Chinese, Japanese
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Prince George, Canada
“Quick and Friendly Service, Good Food, and Easy on the Wallet”
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

I've been to this restaurant twice in 2 weeks , once for lunch with a friend and tonight with family. We had Chicken bento boxes, vegetable noodle soup and agedashi tofu. The large pieces of tofu arrived piping hot, crispy on the outside and moist and soft in the middle. Perfect with the dipping sauce. The veggie noodle soup came with lots of fresh vegetables in a delicious broth with noodles. Bento boxes has teriyaki chicken on a bed of bean sprouts, salad with ginger dressing, 8 pieces California rolls, 2 pieces spring rolls, and miso soup. Everything was hot and delicious. I have never been able to finish a bento box so I always end up taking enough food home for lunch the next day. There are lots of choices for noodle soups, fried rice, sushi, sashimi, rice bowls, tempura and bento boxes. Japan Wasabi Sushi is not a fine dining establishment so don't go there if that is what you are looking for. It is a small restaurant with limited seating. The service is always quick, food is consistently good and the prices are very reasonable. Go there if that is what you are looking for.

1 Thank PGdiner

“Fresh, fast, busy cafe”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

I don't like sushi, so I can't comment on the quality of sushi, but will comment on other menu items and the environment. This place is like a small corner cafe; not elegant, not classy, but if you need good food and you're short on time, this is a great place to pick something up or stay for a quick meal. The portion sizes are enormous, so its best to either share or be prepared to take some home. The prices are reasonable. The service is fast and prompt - despite the size of the place (around 10 tables, I think), there's always 4 or more people working and serving. This place is really busy at lunch, in the afternoon, and at dinnertime but generally you don't have to wait to be seated. I often order the chicken noodle soup. The bowl of soup is very large, the broth is probably the best I've ever had. Full of real pieces of chicken, tender broccoli spears, cabbage, bean sprouts and noodles. I love this soup. I've also had their tempura - yam tempura is my favourite. Always piping hot and crispy, rarely greasy. (Again, portion sizes - you need to share). Excellent dipping sauce. I've even taken it home for dinner, and they cut out a piece of the box out to ensure that the tempura was still crispy after a 15 minute car ride. Recently I went with a friend who was really hesitant to try a Japanese restaurant; she ordered the teriyaki and really enjoyed it.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank ZNorth
Canada
“Delicious and great service!”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Delicious, fresh food! Very fast/friendly service. We will definitely be back next time we are in PG.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Canadian_girrrl
Prince George, Canada
“Prince Gastronome - Second Visit”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I’ve returned to Wasabi to offer it the persisted second chance. I’ve a lot to delve into, so let’s skip my lamented preamble and talk about the decor which--same as last time--looks to have been designed by someone suffering from agnosia (look it up)—irregular colored tiles, soccer flags from countries that never win the World Cup, and lamps plucked from a David O’Russel movie. So...yeah, typical for a sushi place. Likewise for the laminated oversized single page menu. I found my seat, was offered a menu, and was delivered my tea in only a few minutes. They defiantly cater to a rush.

And in a paper cup again—not sure why this is suddenly becoming a trend. I sat next to the heating duct so it felt like I was in a studio apartment in downtown Tokyo with a broken air conditioner. I ordered sushi and within minutes, I was served. That was a bit too fast, and my suspicions were proved immediately by warm rice. I repeat, the rice was warm, a cardinal sin for a sushi restaurant. And they STILL cut their sushi too large. Holy hell, I think these were larger than last time I was here. This is not value, people, and it’s not the habits of a good restaurant. To make matters worse, there was a flavour in the rice I couldn’t identify. Was the rice actually salted?

In defense, the miso was good. You know what, I am not sure people got what I was saying exactly 72 words ago. Each nigiri was like four inches long. Whose mouth can accommodate this? Please explain to me what makes Wasabi the often praised best sushi place in town. Disagree with my thoughts on Sushi Star, but Sendo, Tokyo—hell, the sushi bar at Superstore is better than this. You could add two more nigiri with the amount of fish on my plate. Lazy. I have recanted previous reviews based on repeated advice from friends. Only on a few occasions have my initial reviews been rendered incorrect. This is not one of those times. Wasabi either doesn’t read reviews or don’t pay mine any mind. And that’s okay. They are obviously successful so don’t require my criticism. But I cannot see myself returning with so many superior alternatives available. One thing is certain, Wasabi’s reputation as the best sushi restaurant in town is as deserved as 12 Years a Slave winning the best picture Oscar (Gravity all the way).

But let me end this review on a different note. I am getting increasingly annoyed at the judgement that non-Japanese cannot run a sushi restaurant. Let’s excuse the complete racist over/undertones of such a statement and state that some of the best sushi restaurants I’ve seen have been run by non-Japanese. It is honestly ignorant and factually incorrect—your ethnicity is not a requirement for culinary skill. In fact, sushi has spread so quickly throughout the globe, many neighboring nations to Japan can claim a lifelong training in the craft. So my criticism of Wasabi has nothing to do with the nationality of its owners.

By noon, this place was swamped, with the register constantly buzzing. Like I said; these people don’t need me...but given that same logic, most Chinese buffets in town are still in business. Catering to people who think nigiri is a country in Africa doesn’t make you the greatest restaurant in the world. Sushi places have an odd stratum to compare to. Are you better than Superstore sushi? Are you superior to what we can grab in thirty seconds walking into a big block retailer? If you cannot measure up, then you have a problem, and Wasabi has been left wanting.

Food: 2.5/5

• Visited March 2014
Smithers
“Quick lunch satisfaction”
Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

Dropped in for lunch but didn't realize that I could order off a menu if I stayed (was very busy). I grabbed a premade sushi box. It tasted very fresh and was not skimpy. The restaurant moves quickly. I will definitely come back and order off the menu and look see if there is greater variety. Don't be afraid of the line up. You won't wait long.