“Authentic and Yummy Thai Food”
Review of Mai Thai

Mai Thai
Ranked #44 of 236 Restaurants in Prince George
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 21, 2014

First, love the ambience - paintings depicting Thai culture with Thai music playing in the background. The food is excellent and authentic, if not a little over-priced. Lunch is best value for the money. Service can be a little uneven but I would definitely recommend this restaurant, especially if you've never tried Thai cuisine. Favourite dishes: Cashew Chicken, Pad Thai or curries.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

We love this place. Never had a bad meal.
The service always very good.
When we have guests this is one place
that always comes thru.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

We came for lunch and the atmosphere and service was fine, the portions were big enough, and the food arrived quickly, but if you like some meat with your noodles/rice go elsewhere.. I don't know if the other dishes are more meat-centric, but I was glad I ordered an add-on of shrimp to my beef pad Thai ($4 for 4, count them 4, shrimp), as I was having to root around for some protein as it was.. The spring roll on the side was tiny for $3.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

My initial review of Mai Thai praised its food and ethnic distinction. With my second pass, has its luster faded?

Was that a proper introduction? I worry so many people get lost in my preamble and quit reading after the initial introduction. I often make light-hearted remarks which appear off-the-cuff as I type, and most of the time they are. It’s how I distinguish my reviews from others—my attempt to stand out amongst the twitter-squirts which appear to plague so many restaurant review sites. I returned to Mai Thai years after my first visit with numerous examples of Thai cuisine to stain my opinion in the interim. So to rephrase my opening question, does Mai Thai still hold up?

However, I must add some caveats to that single-worded response. The first is that the service remains inadequate. It was a shock when I realized the elderly gentleman wandering around in a striped polo shirt actually worked there. That would look bizarre in any restaurant, ethnic or not. It’s so bizarre considering how much effort is placed in making Mai Thai authentic. The servers didn’t appear in uniform, or with any consistency whatsoever—that’s just plain lazy. I keep getting reminded that by visiting an Asian restaurant, you can dismiss any possibility of good service—a common attribute to be expected if not desired.

Yeah, no. I don’t give anyone a pass in that regard.

The food is still great; a little on the expensive side, but still great. I usually don’t praise rice, but Mai Thai may have the best rice of any restaurant ever. Seriously, it’s that good. Plus, the variety is stunning. If it wasn’t for its distant location to where I live, I’d come back often to sample different dishes. That being said, when I frequent restaurants, I often end up getting the same thing, a “usual” to be remembered by the staff, and the yellow and green curries would be those choices here. You really can’t go wrong. However, the best course of action is to grab three or four of your friends and have them share dishes, which is what I did this day.

This review may seem somewhat truncated compared to others but that’s only because my initial review was also a dinner, and I haven’t learned anything to deviate from my original review. The service still needs work; the prices are still a tad high, the food is still amazing. There are still elephants scattered about. The décor still looks that of an IHOP built in Bangkok. It helps that it’s the only Thai restaurant in town. I think we badly need another, maybe one on my side of town. Mai Thai is great, fantastic, so it troubles me knowing it can be even better with very little additional effort. Let’s hope that happens.

DECOR: 7
PLATING: 7
SERVICE: 7
FOOD: 9
VALUE: 8

OVERALL: 7.6 out of 10

1  Thank PrinceGastronome
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

staying in prince george for 6 weeks, we sure have tried so many restaurants around especially the ones on tripadvisor's list. we had pork green curry and a beef dish of thai name (four words starts with pad and ends with paow on the menu, top most under beef dishes) that had a sort of red sauce. both were really good, but we had dishes that were better. as me and my fiancée are both asian, we are used to this kind of cooking and having rice. we both ordered coconut rice which we think inhibited us to really enjoy the flavors of the dishes more. both were prepared mildly spicy but the coconut rice was just too sweet to be in harmony with the flavors so we highly recommend it's best to have regular rice instead, as i had ordered another serving of rice (we were really hungry that day only had a sandwich for brunch). and it is quite pricey. if we had to vote between Mai Thai and Than Vu (the Vietnamese one near Four Points), for value of money, Than Vu is still our bet. both are pricey but we think the latter has better food. but it was truly a surprise how beautiful and cozy Mai Thai was inside and the man who was serving us was really nice and funny. we loved him.