“Tasty eastern dishes” 4 of 5 bubbles

Zaffron Cuisine
Ranked #35 of 229 Restaurants in Prince George
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Persian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Zaffron Cuisine is a Persian Cafe and Catering business in Prince Geroge. Offering Delicious, Healthy, Affordable lunch and dinner for dine in and take out as well as specialty teas, coffee and sweets. We are fully licenced and offer BYOW service. Our corckage fee is $12 per bottle of wine.
Victoria
“Tasty eastern dishes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

Zaffron have a buffet for $15 on Fridays and Saturdays. We went with friends. Nice atmosphere. Clean. Hostess/owner's wife? delightful. Good range of vegetarian and meat dishes with interesting/novel spices for us. Home made ice-cream with saffron etc very tasty (not included in buffet). Altogether a very pleasant experience.

Visited July 2014

Alberta, Canada
“Cozy and delish”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

I have eaten here twice and have enjoyed my choices both times. The location is handy for my friends. The food choices are limited but taste great. I also noticed this last visit that afternoon tea will soon be available Tuesday through Saturday from 1 to 3 pm. Since the Empress tea house closed last year; hopefully Zaffron will fill that niche.

Visited July 2014
“Cute restaurant with good selection.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

The patio makes for great location to relax with friends in the summer. No complaints about the food. Everything I tried from the buffet tasted great: a nice mix of meaty and vegetarian options and they're all tasty. So many desserts too! I had the saffron pistachio icecream. Thumbs up!

Prince George, Canada
“Prince Gastronome”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

Zaffrron Cuisine appeared out of nowhere in a random search on a PG website—a second Persian restaurant to follow on the heels of its immensely popular progenitor Shiraz. But to be Frank—and damn Franks for being so upfront—Zaffron and Shiraz are by no means related outside of their shared cuisine. Rated on their initial impressions, Shiraz is more a proper restaurant while Zaffron apes a cafe at lunch, with me assuming that it transforms into a bistro come nightfall as flawlessly as a GoBot (meaning not so much). Both Shiraz and Zaffron label themselves as cafes but Zaffron is the closest to the claim. There is a bakery display and a buffet. The restaurant is tiny with less than eleven tiny square tables tiled about a small building looking more like a renovated house than a business. But the aforementioned buffet is not actually a buffet; it’s a replication of a technique I wished not to encounter since my stretch in a Catholic private school—that of the cafeteria counter.
This is not a roadside diner on the way to Quesnel catering to exposed butt-cracks, highway prostitutes, and folks named Jethro with the one good remaining tooth to open beer bottles with. (Wait, do we have highway prostitutes?) Only one other restaurant in my journeys has operated in the same fashion as Zaffron, Just Goode Food...and in an amusing sense of irony, Zaffron is the one with good food while I wouldn’t return to the other unless you tore out my fingernails and dipped my hand in Varsol.
Upon entering Zaffron and greeting the pleasant owner (assuming), I was informed that she would fill my plate according to my cravings among the various buckets—eight in fact, though only three had anything in them. My fault for showing up early.
Zaffron felt like part cafe, part Starbucks; how did that come about? It’s almost like having two ingredients, each differentiated by its own color, threw them in a liquidizer and hit puree. You can see bits of each scattered about like a Jackson Pollock. The waste disposal bin looks taken from a coffee chain, likewise for the refreshment display. My tea arrived in a paper cup with one of those cardboard jackets to prevent burning. I had to slide it down to check the name on the side of the cup. Despite these, there are still huge hallmarks of Persian culture, more so than Shiraz when it first opened. Arabic lettering is scrawled across supporting beams. Wonderful paintings and photos line the walls. I would have immediately fallen in love with such an establishment if the franchise-like fragments hadn’t shattered my suspension of disbelief.
Zaffron is still good...but will it survive: that’s the five dollar question. If it was the first of its type in town, I would hope so, but Shiraz fought tooth and nail to reach the level of respect achieved. It was rough around the edges from the start but I loved it then; looking at it now, it stands as a testament to quality service and business etiquette. Zaffron has its work cut out for it. From the onset, it has to contend with location—London Drugs blocks my line of sight between Zaffron and Shiraz. I could walk between the two in under two minutes. If Zaffron was located in College Heights, I would exclaim like a herald to the masses of its merits, but with Shiraz so close, which one would I prefer?
Obviously Shiraz, having earned its place as one of the city’s premiere locations. What does that leave Zaffron? I want it to succeed, I really do. I want to come back during a dinner service and have them prove to me that they’re an alternate choice worthy of patronizing. This is a nightmare for reviews like me. Zaffron is a good cafe and as those go, one of the better in town. The speed of food delivery is astounding for those on a time crunch in the afternoon. It tastes good with a real kick of spice I wish Shiraz would indulge in from time to time. It offers free wireless internet and pleasant service from an easy to understand front of house. It’s clearly a labour of love and one which I am more than happy to support. My only hope is that they can perma press their wrinkles and even out their inconsistencies. Mugs replacing paper cups, a menu at lunch, and the removal of decor choices resembling a fast food joint.
Finally, about the price. The not-really-buffet costs $9 but my final bill with $4 tip came to $35. So what happened? The tea-in-a-paper-cup cost me $1.50. I ordered a tiramisu which cost an additional $4.50. I ordered three pastries to take home, $2.00 each. That means the container of hummus I purchased was a staggering $8 (excluding tax). I’ve bought homemade hummus from craft fairs which didn’t cost as much. So a good place with good food but avoid the deli counter.

Food: 4/5