“Maybe not a treasure but certainly a good find”

Prestige Treasure Cove
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Prince George
Toronto, Canada
“Maybe not a treasure but certainly a good find”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I'm not sure about BC humour and whether the Hotel brochure author's claim that this property is "Northern BC's greatest treasure" was written with tongue-in-cheek however notwithstanding the hyperbole the Hotel suited us admirably !

As a seasoned traveler you get a sixth sense about how good a hotel is by the behaviour of the staff towards their guests. This litmus test works well for me and I can report that without exception the Hotel's staff were extremely courteous to us from the front office to the wait staff in Craves, the restaurant, where the food was top notch. Special mention should be made to the lady in the breakfast area who was a gem.

As for the beds they were very comfortable ; bedding was very acceptable even the pillows were good. The no-charge bottled water in the fridge plus the Aveda brand toiletries added to the enjoyment of our room.

So did we have any complaints ?

The lack of wi-fi in the rooms and in the common areas needs to be addressed. As a result our i-pad was inoperable. When will Hotels realize that they need wi-fi in addition to high-speed-internet ?

Also the availability of an airport shuttle seems to be a little bit of an empty promise. I ordered taxis on the two occasions that we had to go to the airport with no offer to take advantage of the airport shuttle vehicle.

Also a second easy chair in the room would have been useful : there was certainly room enough.

And finally next time you get your brochure reprinted remember "We're Canadian eh" and spell Centre properly !

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Lakesider75
TreasureCoveHotel, Director of Sales at Prestige Treasure Cove, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Hello Lakesider75,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We agree with you- you can tell a lot about a property by the staff who work here. Our hotel is locally owned and operated and there is a real sense of pride and belonging for the people who work here. A lot of them have been with our company since the hotel opened in 2004. We printed out your review to share with our hotel staff to show them how much their service is valued by our guests!

As to your recommendations - We understand WIFI is a major concern and along with recent lobby, banquet room, and pool renovations we have installed a reliable wireless internet connection throughout the hotel.

We realize our hotel shuttle is limited due to the availability of staff. During the peak months such as August where we run at 90% occupancy we feel that we can provide better customer service with two front desk agents at the property. We are able to offer this service more often during slower times and off seasons. Unfortunately the demand for a shuttle is not high enough to have a staff member dedicated to the shuttle.

Thank you for your suggestion of extra furniture in the room - we have plans to renovate shortly and will take this suggestion into account. If we do not decide to have two lounge chairs in each room we will at least have extras available upon request.

We are currently having a new brochure done up and I will personally make sure everything is spelled the "Canadian Way" !

Once again, I thank you for your review and hope you will come stay with us again in the near future!

Nigel Rimmer
Sales Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Canada
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I had business in Prince George and pleasantly surprised by the quality of the hotel and the exceptional staff, particularly the evening front counter gentleman and the cheery lady working in the complementary breakfast area. The rooms were very comfortable, really quiet and clean. The only glitch, and that may be only in the type of room we reserved (Junior Suite) was a smoked glass window between the bathroom and the bedroom. It would have not been problem if I hadn't brought my family with me and a towel over the glass provided the privacy we wanted.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 29, 2011

i was booked and had stayed for 2 weeks and then half way through my stay they told me they had no room and was asked to move out for the night, but i could move back the next night.
How strange is that, the staff at the front desk are hopeless, and tried to make it my mistake.
Value for money is pretty poor, i moved over the road and its so much nicer, so it worked out better for me, but i woulnd recomend staying at Treasure Cove

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank ozlad
Hello brenthewer,

Thank you for reviewing our property. It is to my understanding that when you tried to extend your stay with us we were sold out. We are a very busy property and are usually booked well in advance. It is unfortunate that you had to switch hotels because we were full.

If you are unsure of the length of your stay you are welcome to book more than is required and we will not charge for an early check out.

I know you said you would never come back however if your travels bring you back to Prince George we welcome you to stay once again.

Nigel Rimmer
Sales Manager
vancouver
Reviewed August 21, 2011

To each his own, but my own experience at the Treasure Cove has been very positive. For my visit to Prince George it was the best spot for myself. The staff are very professional and I was able to check in when I arrived early. My room, located on the fourth floor, was clean and very nice with lots of space. The bed was large and comfortable. My room had a small fridge which I found to be handy for storing my own snacks. They supply complementary bottled water in the fridge but please be aware, the tap water is completely safe to drink. They have a continental breakfast which is much more substantial and excellent much like the ones you experience in Europe. Food items include: boiled eggs, waffles, toast, cereal, fruit, and beverages. For those who need a coffee or tea, the hotel has it available 24 hours. Please note that the "convenient" comment depends on whether you have a car. I rented a car because this hotel is NOT located in downtown and you cannot walk to a store or other amenities. In Prince George the distances from one area of the city to another are not that far. That said the Treasure Cove is not that far from stores and other sites but you will need a vehicle. The highway access to the hotel is a bit confusing and you should consult a map to figure out your access in and out (or GPS). A great and comfortable stay and I wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
canada
Reviewed August 13, 2011

My partner and I stayed there for two nights. I was disappointed with the room. A VERY average room....quite small and whilst it was not dirty, I felt it was not as clean as other hotels we have stayed in. We found candies, jewellery (junk jewellery), and a toonie (!!) under the one bed. I felt the room did not not reflect the quite high cost( Almost $160 a night with tax). On the plus side I found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful, especially the lady who helped in the dining room at breakfast.....super friendly and extremely helpful. The staff on the front desk were also helpful and obliging. There is tons of free parking, due partly because of the casino attached to the hotel. My partner and I enjoy playing casinos, but if they are not your cup of tea, it can get quite noisy and busy in and around the hotel because of this. Whilst there is a pool at the hotel, it is extremely small, and is really only a "landing" area at the end of the slides.It is mainly used by the little kids staying at the hotel, and is not suitable for adults to swim in. We did not use the spa so cannot comment about that. All in all I feel my biggest complaint is the cost. I really feel that the cost is very inflated for what is, at best, just an average hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Lac La Hache, Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We recently spent a night in one of the Treasure Cove hotel junior suites. The room was very spacious and exceptionally clean. One feature of the suite is the partially etched glass wall between the main room and the bathroom. This may not be suitable for all members of a family. We like staying at the Cove for it's central location, easy road access and ajoining casino. We found the casino wasn't overly generous, but that's up to the individual's preferace. We have stayed here a few times and will be staying here again.

Room Tip: Call ahead as the hotel is usually fully booked.