“Great food”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

Been there twice and food was great. I suggest the pulled pork, brisket ends , smoked pork ribs. Mmmmmmmmmm best food in town!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank tokon_judo

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Quiet & relaxing!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

Surprised of how nice it was inside since I passed by this particular location many times and it didn't look like anything special. Food was ok and menu had originality. Waitress was very pleasant. Will definatly go back and try something different! Cheese toast was awesome!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank PGHopeful
“An enjoyable dinner.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

On Saturday February 15th we went for dinner here with my son and daughter-in-law. They had been both when it was Steamers (which they called sleazy) and a couple of times since the change over In ownership. I had never been when it was Steamers as the reputation gave me no inclination.They said the most obvious change is in attitude, food, cleanliness and service. There also is an expansion rumour which will see the closure of the attached liquor store and more room for a bigger dance floor and more tables. Although tad pretentions I think Pompous Gastronome makes some good points if you can manage to struggle through his long winded epistle. We each had the steak and prawn special,, each had his own cooked correctly and the food and service was good value at $15, My wife and I split a half order of nachos which was huge and made us wonder what the large must be like. The dish was very good but after the server asked whether we wanted beef or chicken on it and added an extra $3 the value of the dish slipped considerably. Good, but not good enough at that price to order again. We were going on to another event so didn't stay for the dancing but the place filled so quickly we could have gotten a bidding war going for our seats so on the weekend I advise going early. I plan to be back this Saturday for lunch. They seem to have quite a selection of craft beer on tap.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Roy C
“Good food, good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

I was first inspired to try this pub when a $5 off coupon appeared in my mailbox (we live a block away, and had long before become disillusioned with Steamers Pub). In spite of the hackneyed décor and over-loud music pouring from poorly placed speakers, the Cowboy Ranch is an excellent choice for great food at a low cost.

The ongoing Friday/Saturday special of steak and prawns for $15 is a definite hit. The Sunday half-price Angus burger is one of my personal favourites, as it comes with two sides of your choice for a nice, reasonable $5. I would, however, very much like to see them try a different bun for their burgers and sandwiches, as the one currently in use is tasteless, crumbly, too soft, and becomes soggy very quickly regardless of toasting.

They are more than generous with portions, and you will NOT leave the Cowboy Ranch hungry.

The pulled pork is fantastic. This is clearly done long and slow, as it should be, but as noted previously, with a different bun, this would be a truly phenomenal sandwich.

All in all, I have to rate the Cowboy Ranch a solid 4 stars overall. A new bun and some more unique décor would win them 5 from me without hesitation.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank MotherKali
“Prince Gastronome”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Another restaurant casualty and another business ready to pick up the carcass and don the skin. I don’t often read of such a fate striking pubs in town. Despite my poor opinions of them, they still manage to survive, pointing more to the city’s melancholic desperation to ingest alcohol over its desire for high quality eateries.
On the day I arrived, the new sign hadn’t been erected yet. Weeks later when I did this review, unsure of the name, I searched online and discovered that no one had bothered to update the internet. Obviously, the owners of this new pub need to disembark from their pterodactyl and be told that the internet isn’t magical like fire; you need to work on it. Urbanspoon, Trip Advisor, Yelp, even Google Maps had no idea the Cowboy Ranch existed by this review’s posting (I was the one that added it here). Oh sure, it has a Facebook page but someone should probably inform the owners that you need to enter the name in order to find it. When you open a new business ANYWHERE, you are obligated to promote it! I could maybe excuse it if they were only a few weeks old, but by the time I posted this review, Cowboy Ranch had been open for months. If I was running a restaurant, updating the various review sites would be day ONE. To give you an example of how pathetic this exposure is, I only discovered it via their Kijiji page looking for servers.
Ok, so we admit promoting your new business is good. Let’s move on. I’m tried to determine if Cowboy Ranch looks better than Steamers as the décor looks damned near identical. As I scrutinized, I found several minor distinctions worthy of praise. There are still ten LCDs scattered about, no surprise there. The chairs are the same; the bar is the same, looks like they didn’t change much at all. But what happened to the alcohol advertisements? Steamers had them everywhere but here, only one, a single coronet sign hanging forlorn. They’ve replaced said adverts with various Western clichés, and I mean clichés. I wonder if pubs in Texas hang cow skulls and wagon wheels on their walls? (Answer: yes, they do) In all, I approve—it works. I’d rather have truisms of a time remembered fondly though often inaccurately than be raped by reminders of how places like this pander to those more wishing to forget their past. It’s like a smaller variation of the BX Pub or Shooters, except, you know, better.
Why? The menu actually read like someone put their mind to it. Oh sure, there were absolutely no surprises, none whatsoever, but the polish in its presentation and the thought in the writing does deserve some praise. And it smells amazing. The notable fact to take from this pub-grade (COPYRIGHTED!) is the inclusion of smokers and the various menu options birthed from those doors. I’ll admit I don’t know much about barbecue; I have friends versed in that field. Cowboy Ranch “feels” like it offers genuine barbecue. I found images of their smokers on their Facebook page. I was criticized once by someone when I praised The Copper Pig BBQ & Social House (‘cause that’s their name!) in that they didn’t offer authentic BBQ, correcting me with the term “Fancy-Q”—which, for trivia buffs, is the name of more than ten sushi restaurants across North America. But here, it refers to the shortcuts people make in order to mimic long cooking and smoking times, including the use of chemicals like “liquid smoke”. I can’t make any accusations here because honestly, I have no idea. My talents at appraisal stopped when I ordered the sandwich, pulled pork, which was good. The service was commendable and the price reasonable, quite so in fact.
To quote a famous private businessman, I know what I hate. And…I don’t hate this. The Cowboy Ranch may not be the best pub in town but it’s a huge (and I do mean HUGE) step-up from the Steamers Pub it replaces. I hope it’s able to acquire a slightly more respectable clientele and that they don’t compromise their décor or menu to acquiesce to those who don’t know what “acquiesce” means. Good luck, Cowboy Ranch; I’m not looking for you to fail.
Food: 3.5/5