“Valentines Dinner” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Copper Pig Bbq House
Ranked #10 of 229 Restaurants in Prince George
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Canadian
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Prince George
“Valentines Dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

This was our first time to dine at the new restaurant. It was nicee to see different brands pf beer available. the idea of offering only beers from small breweries is a great idea. The menu had a nice different varitey of items compaired to other casual restaurants. We settled on the special which was a plater for two which contained ribs, pulled pork, grilled vegetables, thin sliced fried potatoes, shrimp, some fruit, and dessert.
The shrimp was a little over done but really nicely spiced, not to hot. the ribs were fantasic, great smoke flavor nad very tender. the pulled pork had kind of a nice crunch to it and also very flavorful. The potatoe chips were very crisp. i was not sure what they were deep fried in but they were good. This was a great place to dine or just have a drink with friends. Hat off to the ownership and staff.

• Visited February 2013

“Refreshing and independent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

Recently opened, the Copper Pig is a refreshing casual restaurant that sets itself apart from the chain restaurants that frequent the city.
Very tasty and fresh, locally owned usually gets me in the door, but the service, food & brings me back. I hope they are not trying to be something more than they are. I've seen some ads around but the hipsters think only Facebook people need to be targeted... wrong.
"Social" doesnt make hip. Product & service = success & you are on the right track.
Good to see this in town & we will keep going... yum.

Prince George, Canada
“Need to step it up, slightly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Drink menu looked good but waitress' need to memorize them a bit more. The 'sours' are not true sours, they tasted like sour puss, I was so excited for a traditional sour with egg whites and bourbon but that was not the case. Some of the other drinks have very strong tastes that would be a bit better toned down. I recommend a glass of wine.
Food- Coleslaw had no dressing and was a bit dry, a nice creamy dressing to compliment the tangy bbq sauce would have been awesome. The bbq sauces were good, an even spicier one would be tasty. Dishes were not accompanied by what the menu said they would be accompanied by. Home made baked beans would also be a lovely addition (the steamed green beans are too bland for bbq).
Service- waitress didn't know what was in any drink and she would take FOREVER to find out, even though it wasn't very busy in there (she seemed more interested in flirting with the bartender and men at the bar than serving our table). She only came to the table 3 times in 3 hours.
I would try it again, they have a seafood soup on the menu that sounds good and the cornbread was tasty.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
“Prince Gastronome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

The Copper Pig BBQ and Social House

The Copper Pig BBQ and Social House holds the distinction of having without a doubt the coolest name of any restaurant ever. If I had a child, I would name it that. And I actually can. It’s illegal to name a child Anus in Denmark, but The Copper Pig BBQ and Social House, go right ahead.

It wasn’t the best day for a lunch, dropping eighteen degrees in a span of six hours, snowing profusely, and I just came off one of the fastest friend-acceptance-to-un-friend-status-changes ever on Facebook. I admit being a little burned by that. As I typed the initial words of this review, I was still marooned in my Evo, as once again I miscalculated The Copper Pig BBQ and Social House’s hours of operation, remaining stuck outside in anticipation of its lunch service. I was parked outside the Pastry Chef Bakery across the street, all the while hearing my stomach rumble loader then the roaring heaters fans, staring at a bizarre sign outside the door which indicated that cell phones weren’t allowed.

Wait, seriously? The Pastry Chef doesn’t allow cell phones? Does the building fly? Do cell phones interfere with the ovens in some way? What kind of arrogant rationale could these owners possibly have? Can they reserve that right? Of course. Should they, only if they stubbornly refuse let go of their 8-track or listen to dead air on their radio hoping for Paul Harvey to return from the grave. I get annoyed seeing prohibited cell-phone signs at gas stations, considering that there’s zero chance a cell phone can result in detonation. If the owners of The Pastry Chef think talking on cell phones is rude, let me share with them a useful business strategy: Get used to it.

Sigh...

The Copper Pig BBQ and Social House is not located in the best part of town, earning criticism I’m sure from the city’s defenders. If any place needed to a makeover, it's George Street, showing its age like a geriatric prostitute. The issue isn’t as much that it’s rundown, only dated. Canadian towns share a common look if they have less than 5,000 people. The buildings are all made of wood and are painted different colors. They are all at different heights and half of them have grates covering their windows. Shops are intermixed with community centers and soup kitchens. What’s bizarre about Prince George is that streets like George refused to adapt to the surrounding developments after its population passed 10,000. Drive twenty seconds in any direction and the city advances 50 years.

So to say that The Copper Pig BBQ and Social House stands out is an understatement on scale with Carrie having a menstrual problem. This place bleeds character...oh god, I just realized how inappropriate that metaphor was following the preceding sentence. Regardless, The Copper Pig BBQ and Social House--and yes I have no plans on abbreviating that—is more suited to being on a boardwalk fringing ocean tides. Everyone who works here should have an Irish accent. I don’t care if it’s faked. I was impressed at the small number of LCD TVs hanging from the walls, only one my from vantage. As per the apparent mandatory restaurant decor guidebook, the ceiling is exposed, the wood is unpainted, and I found myself sitting on a bench without a cushion. But let’s push that aside for now, The Copper Pig BBQ and Social House is one of the best looking restaurants of its type, but what type is it? It’s not a pub, but it has a bar twice as long as my car. It does bare a resemblance to Nancy O’s but with a slightly higher budget. Everything looks custom built from wood salvaged from a sunken galleon. This place even smelled of wood, although that could have been coming from smokers at the back.

Walking into The Copper Pig BBQ and Social House must be a vegetarian’s night terror. The menu options embrace its title, protein roasted over flame. I eventually ordered the roasted chicken soup as a start, followed by the beef brisket burnt ends. Not to repeat a mistake I made with my last restaurant, I ensured that whatever I ordered didn't require me to peel meat off bones with my bare hands and teeth like a Neanderthal pre-ice age. It was different with Shiraz because the bones were more garnishes easily pushed aside. I didn’t have that impression with The Copper Pig BBQ and Social House, so I wanted to ensure its final score wasn't skewed.

The water was delivered, I kid you not, in a wine bottle alongside an empty glass topped with ice. In an unfortunate case of improper timing, my soup arrived 30 seconds ahead of my burnt ends. The burnt ends were an appetizer, so they came flanked with nothing other than charred pineapple rings. Meat on a plate, but what meat. A crunchy, spicy sauce, probably one of the best samples of beef I’ve ever had. Cokes were served in giant mason jars.

First Shiraz and now this, an incredible lunch experiences begging for a revisit. Can I find fault? Only with its prices, but it’s a mild complaint. The Copper Pig BBQ and Social House promotes groups and social orders, so many dishes are intended to be shared. That being said $20 for a chicken lunch seems a little high. My bill came to $21 with tip and that was technically for two appetizers. And yet I still want to return.

After seeing some of the mains enjoyed by other patrons, my desire to revisit will be hard to resist. For now, this is another recommendation, perhaps staining my reputation as a pessimistic glory hound. So be it.

Food: 5/5
Service: 4/5
Presentation: 5/5
Value: 4/5
Recommendation: 4/5

1 Thank PrinceGastronome
Vancouver
“still has some growing pains, but it's early days”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Have eaten here several times now and I think as a brand new eatery it needs to be given time to find it's success. The pork ribs are simply sublime, can not recommend them highly enough. The full pork rib dinner is pricey but filling, but there is a very decent starters sharing platter w/ pulled pork, 3 different ribs sauces, and 2 salads. All very reasonable and substantial enough for two. My one food criticism is the George Street house soup, sold w/ it's descriptions of prawns and scallops and pricey for dinner at $12 +, a friend and I both went for dinner and both ordered. We each had 3 pieces of seafood - that was it, and the flavour was insipid. I was really disappointed w/ this soup. Hope the restaurant succeeds, it's a great to see another opening in the downtown area and will be returning.