“Good food”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

Ate here last night, had great service and a delicious meal. My daughter ordered this banana dessert with cream cheese etc. that the waitress said was just added to the menu, it was to die for!

Reviewed February 22, 2014

Let me start off by saying we had a staff Christmas dinner in one of the halls at the hotel which was catered by the Rockford just after it opened and it was not a good experience. There were many issues, the only good thing was that the food's actual taste was relatively good. Their lack of returned phone calls and resolution to the issues made us not return until last night.

On a whim to go some place new that was not totally strange and the fact that our favorite restaurant had run out of some key ingredients (great to have had the inside scoop on that), we ended up at the Rockford. We were seated quite quickly and that was likely the best part of the evening. Our waitress was either very bored or very anxious, because she was at our table twice within about 3 minutes asking if we were ready to order, the first time we barely had a minute to look at the menu. After that though, she did not return for a while, quite a while, in fact I said to my wife that she really needed to learn how to read her customers better as we kept looking around to see where she had gone.
After I left for the washroom she finally returned. My wife ordered an appy for us to share and our meals. The wait was short for our food, it just suddenly showed up, when we asked the person bringing our food if they had planned on bringing our appy first (with only a tiny bit of sarcasm) she was almost about to take our meals back to the kitchen, I think was because we may have rattled her. She left the food and went back to find out what happened to the appy. She was back with it in about 2 minutes, after we started eating our dinner of course. In their credit, she said they were not going to charge us for the appy, which was good because it had no flavor at all, it was the Shrimp Gyoza.

I was very curious how a restaurant could make their food so quickly which leads me to believe that not much was made from scratch, but I could be wrong. I had the Szechuan Beef and if it had not been for the heat, there would be nothing to talk about. It was very spicy but really had no flavor other than that. I tried to taste a piece of the beef with as little as possible sauce and no veggies to see if it had any flavor and it was hard to find any at all. I commented to my wife that it tasted very similar to something we bought in the frozen section of the grocery store once (the grocery store one had more flavor I'm sure). She had the Mongolian Beef Noodles and again little fanfare with the lack of flavor.

With the way things were for us, I suppose it's no surprise that the restaurant was less than half full at 7 - 7:30 on a friday evening while other places were full and had people waiting to get in (it was a sign I think). My at the end of it all, wife made a comment to our server about our escapade for the staff dinner and how we had not been back since, before we left she came back with a coupon for a free appy on our next visit. I'm not sure if this a case of too little too late or if the lack of anything to tantalize our taste buds is the issue but I do not think we will return. In the words of the last person to 'deal' with us after the Christmas dinner fiasco, "...you likely won't be back anyway so there is not much I can do..." (I'm paraphrasing)

Recap: the service was strange, the food was lacking and the coordination from server to kitchen to table was flawed.

2  Thank frombeautifulBC
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Ate there by myself 4 times. 2 times the meal took forever to get to me. One was actually comp'ed due to the lateness. Once I ate there with others and one of the meals was missed entirely. Food was good but the wait just killed it.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

It was the night of a concert in PG. We ordered drinks and waited 20 mins for them to arrive (waitress did not charge us for drinks) Took 40 mins for appetizers and then 3/4 of them showed up cold. Terrible service. Manager tried to give us appy credits for a later date but we were not from here and it didn't credit us at all. Please plan in advance for concert evenings!!

1  Thank Jencherm
Reviewed October 30, 2013

There were lots of great dishes on the menu at Rockford and over the week we stayed in Prince George we tried a number of them. The food was always cooked perfectly with lots of flavor.
The Thai soup was delicious, there was a variety of great loose-leaf teas and we loved the Oceanwise seafood options.
They offered lots of alternate options in their rice and noodle bowls for vegetarians and took any food allergy very seriously.
The servers were friendly and respectful.