“Disappointing and misled”

Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Prince George
Vancouver, Canada
“Disappointing and misled”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2010

My family and I travelled to Prince George for medical reasons being my family member was flown to their hospital while we drove. We arrived tired and stressed. We were recommended to stay at this hotel. What a mistake! $100 a night. We got the worst room I have ever seen. I was afraid to look under the blankets! My sister asked to move to a better room since there didn't seem to be anyone else in the place and it was supposed to be newly renovated. They offered to move us a few doors down in the same smelly, distant and dingy hallway, We decided to ask for a refund and was turned down with a smirk. We left feeling disregarded and let down.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank 154943

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2010

Area is not as bad as it was with the old hotel across the street closed and old buildings torn down. Hotel is nicely renovated...rooms are clean and spacious...lobby is very nice

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank machinist13
RPGCA_Manager, Manager at Ramada Plaza Prince George, responded to this review, June 9, 2010
Thank you for your review! Yes the area has changed quite a bit since the closure of the Prince George hotel accross the street. It is almost, dare I say....to quiet?

The city is in the process of taking down the buildings accross from us on George street as well, they have 1 down and just a few to go!

The renovations to the property have also made a big difference, the Lobby is my personal favorite so far, with the high celings, beautiful woodwork and also the glass touches to the desk it really gives the hotel that modern feel....not to mention the Starbucks added to the lobby!

Thank you for choosing the Ramada Hotel Prince George for your stay, we look forward to seeing you again!

Cheers,

Corrina Sheets
Operations Manager
Vancouver BC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2010

OK, so I just got back from my 3rd stay with this hotel with another trip to PG on the horizon very soon. My opinion has changed, this hotel isnt that bad at all.

The location sucks - it is in a old part of town. But the hotel across the street people have referenced in past reviews is closed and boarded up. Very quiet my whole stay, no one hanging around front of hotel.

In the 3 stays ive done with them - each time I got a different room. Ask for a renovated room, they are better then the others. Room 380 overlooks the front street and is newer. Room 28 is huge and very nice, lots of space with 2 tvs and a couch area. Renos are progressing and i think because of this they have quite a few different room options to offer customers.

The lobby was very friendly and quick to answer any questions if you had them. The starbucks is a great touch. Very nice to be able to get a coffee on your way out in the morning and the pub food is good. I found the menu a bit odd, but they were alway very quick with their service and you never waited long for your food.

This is the hotel my work seems to use for everyone who travels to PG and we will continue to use them each time we go. Prices for the rooms are good at about $119. Closest contender in town would probably be the Sheraton 4 points, but their prices start at close to $160......

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Alberta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2010

We found the hotel very clean and comfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful. The old hotel across the street has been closed and the area feels safe and quiet. The food was good in the pub. The newly renovated showers do not work properly however staff recognize this and we are told it is being looked at. We would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
western canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2010

First, it's a horrible location. Afraid downtown PG is really bottoming out and the Ramada is in the worst part of it, across from a complete flea bag hotel/bar. Second, the rooms are filthy and run down. Not just shabby, but dirty. Third, do you really need a third? The hotel is not worth the money. Comparable rooms and rates are available at the Coast (just ok, but better) and Treasure Cove and Fourpoints Sheraton on the highway (both new and clean). Simply put, you won't enjoy staying there and it's poor value for your money.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank ghorse
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2010

In some ways, I feel bad for this hotel. I think it has wonderful intentions but is located in such a horrible area that it can never be what it wants.

First off - this property is undergoing major renovations which are intended to really spruce up the joint. A Starbucks is going in the lobby next month, and a new convienience store has opened in the lobby as well. Most of the work in the main area has been completed and it looks much nicer than it used to. There is also some work happening in the sports bar and restaurant. It all looks very promising.

The rooms have been refreshed, though not gutted or changed dramatically. The most welcome difference is the bed - gone is the thin mattress and blanket, replaced by a plush bed with duvet. A desk, open closet area and TV stand remain. The bathroom hasn't changed (if anything, the heated floors haven't worked when I've been recenty) except for the new San Francisco Soap Company products, though I noticed the shower head has changed, which is great since they old one used to actually hurt me. Overall the rooms are comfortable.

Internet is available for free inside the rooms, and there is a business centre as well which was free last time I used it. There is a pool and exercise area located on-site though I have yet to use it. I've heard it's quite nice and has also been updated recently.

Food-wise there is a sports bar and restaurant in the hotel. The bar is known for its wood oven pizzas, which I have tasted many times. They are good, as in most food in there. The menu was a little different last time I visited, if anything it was more upscale. I have never dined in the restaurant but the menu looks quite nice there as well. There is also a Keg Restaurant located 2 blocks away if you'd prefer to eat outside the hotel.

Now the down-side. The location. It's awful. I'd be uncomfortable walking around there at night, especially by myself since it's dark and quiet in the surrounding areas. There is a run-down hotel across the street with a bar, though I have heard it's being bulldozed next month which isn't necessarily a bad thing (though the town will lose some history). We are frequently harassed by drunk or homeless people when we exit our taxi at the front door. It really is a rough area, which is such a negative mark on an otherwise decent hotel.

Other than that, I enjoy my stays here. I tend not to go outside, instead opting to enjoy the room and the facilities the hotel has to offer. You make what you can of an uncomfortable situation!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2009

I travel on business considerably and have stayed at various hotels in Prince George over the last while and am a female business traveller. I have "no" complaints about this hotel. The valet service was excellent. I really don't care if the vehicle is parked across the street in the garage. The valet did an excellent job of taking care of the vehicle and when I had to leave on an early morning flight the next morning and made arrangements the night before, there were absolutely no hitches. I found the staff friendly. The hotel is undergoing some renovations but I was not inconvenienced in the least. The restaurant was good and adequate for my needs. I don't usually leave a hotel in the evening so I was quite happy to have a place to eat onsite and stay put for the evening. I bumped into another female business traveller on the elevator and we chatted for a moment about hotels and we both agreed that we felt quite comfortable here. No complaints here and will definitely stay again.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business