“A nice hotel in an awful location..”

Ramada Plaza Prince George
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Prince George
Reviewed January 13, 2010

In some ways, I feel bad for this hotel. I think it has wonderful intentions but is located in such a horrible area that it can never be what it wants.

First off - this property is undergoing major renovations which are intended to really spruce up the joint. A Starbucks is going in the lobby next month, and a new convienience store has opened in the lobby as well. Most of the work in the main area has been completed and it looks much nicer than it used to. There is also some work happening in the sports bar and restaurant. It all looks very promising.

The rooms have been refreshed, though not gutted or changed dramatically. The most welcome difference is the bed - gone is the thin mattress and blanket, replaced by a plush bed with duvet. A desk, open closet area and TV stand remain. The bathroom hasn't changed (if anything, the heated floors haven't worked when I've been recenty) except for the new San Francisco Soap Company products, though I noticed the shower head has changed, which is great since they old one used to actually hurt me. Overall the rooms are comfortable.

Internet is available for free inside the rooms, and there is a business centre as well which was free last time I used it. There is a pool and exercise area located on-site though I have yet to use it. I've heard it's quite nice and has also been updated recently.

Food-wise there is a sports bar and restaurant in the hotel. The bar is known for its wood oven pizzas, which I have tasted many times. They are good, as in most food in there. The menu was a little different last time I visited, if anything it was more upscale. I have never dined in the restaurant but the menu looks quite nice there as well. There is also a Keg Restaurant located 2 blocks away if you'd prefer to eat outside the hotel.

Now the down-side. The location. It's awful. I'd be uncomfortable walking around there at night, especially by myself since it's dark and quiet in the surrounding areas. There is a run-down hotel across the street with a bar, though I have heard it's being bulldozed next month which isn't necessarily a bad thing (though the town will lose some history). We are frequently harassed by drunk or homeless people when we exit our taxi at the front door. It really is a rough area, which is such a negative mark on an otherwise decent hotel.

Other than that, I enjoy my stays here. I tend not to go outside, instead opting to enjoy the room and the facilities the hotel has to offer. You make what you can of an uncomfortable situation!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed December 22, 2009

I travel on business considerably and have stayed at various hotels in Prince George over the last while and am a female business traveller. I have "no" complaints about this hotel. The valet service was excellent. I really don't care if the vehicle is parked across the street in the garage. The valet did an excellent job of taking care of the vehicle and when I had to leave on an early morning flight the next morning and made arrangements the night before, there were absolutely no hitches. I found the staff friendly. The hotel is undergoing some renovations but I was not inconvenienced in the least. The restaurant was good and adequate for my needs. I don't usually leave a hotel in the evening so I was quite happy to have a place to eat onsite and stay put for the evening. I bumped into another female business traveller on the elevator and we chatted for a moment about hotels and we both agreed that we felt quite comfortable here. No complaints here and will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank LA150
Reviewed December 13, 2009

You'd think staying at a hotel in downtown prince george would be fantastic but its not, downtown prince george isn't very pretty and staying at ramada inn in prince george is the last place you'd like to be. We arrive at they have to valet our car, the valet isn't even in the same building, its in a garage across the street -- my father was paranoid someone was going to break in the car and we wouldn't even know it. So we took everything out and lugged it into our room. We were given $10 discount for the restaurant downstairs because the hotel didnt have their own kitchen, fine enough. When we went to order our breakfast -- continental breakfast, they wouldn't even deliver it to our room! its room service! With the $10 voucher, we had to use it inside the restaurant itself, when we arrived, shortly after 11am, the breakfast was over and the restaurant was closed till 12 for the afternoon meal. What a rip! The only thing positive about the trip was the gym/swimming pool/hot tub area, its cute and not very busy.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2009

The experience we had in the area surrounding this hotel was unBELIEVABLE! First, our room was fine. It was supposed to be non smoking but had been smoked in. Not a huge deal, but not pleasant either.
We had been traveling for 10 hours on motorcycles. We were hungry and tired. We're usually very happy with a clean bed, a hot shower and a good meal. Our friend hadn't even gotten off of his motorcycle to check in when he was approached by a woman wanting money. She wouldn't leave him alone and 10 minutes later, he gave her $2 to make her go away!!!! We were followed by hookers, drug addicts and drunks everywhere we went. The hotel was WELL aware of it because we talked about it at the front desk. They just smiled and said nothing. When we were leaving the next day, we asked the "security guard" why there was such a problem. He said as long as they didn't ask for money there was nothing they could do except chase them across the street.
It was disgusting. I've never had an experience like that anywhere. They need to change the laws or enforce the "Safe Streets Act".

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DharmaG
Reviewed July 4, 2009

I arrived on business for 2 nights and was appalled at the lack of professionalism displayed by the front desk staff. There was inappropriate language being used and an all around "bar room" feel in the lobby. The upgrades to the hotel look like they will be a vast improvement; I certainly hope they upgrade their staff to match.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 6, 2009

The hotel is not located in the nicest part of town, but with the 24 security now you feel safe during your stay here. The parking is secure and it is located across the street but if you don't feel safe walking across the street they have the free valet parking which is pretty awesome! I got to stay in one of their new renovated rooms and they were very up to date. Plus they have flat screen LCD TV's!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2008

We selected this place to stay overnight while making the "Skeena" rail trip. It is easily walkable from the station in 10 minutes, but on the way we were asked twice to spare some change and when we ventured out in the evening there were almost only strange characters lurking around - not somewhere to feel safe, particularly after dark.

The hotel staff were friendly and helpful, the room was standard fare - clean and tidy but nothing special. Window opened a little bit for fresh air, but not a lot of light!

• Stayed: September 2008