“Poor Sleep for 2 nights because of Noisy Air Conditioner”

Coast Inn of the North
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Prince George
GreenLeadersBronze level
Kitimat
“Poor Sleep for 2 nights because of Noisy Air Conditioner”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2010

Room 701 unfortunately had a noisy air conditioner so loud that it prevented us from getting a good night sleep for our 2 night stay. On our last night I had to stuff wet paper towel into my ears which helped but felt tired and unrested on the long drive home.
For this reason alone I do not recommend this hotel to others. I also took hours for the room to cool. Quite simply this equipment was worn out not maintained. On morning we checked out the male desk attendant left me waiting an unusually long time while he tended to paper work in his office which was very inconsiderate. A good night sleep is important so for this reason alone I do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank quietdrifter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Kelowna, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

I concur with most of the comments made by the previous people (esp. Billy Bob) as my recent experience was sub-optimal. Plainly put the room was awful.

The wicker entertainment unit and the bedding the same color and pattern of Mrs. Roper's mo-mo, would have been a nice touch if they were doing a 70s theme room purposefully, but do not think it was intended to be retro-sheik!

The room had an unfriendly odor to it and the wicker was so beat up, scuffed and wobbly. The TV was not a retro dial and did have a remote. Additionally, the Coast did ensure that the TV also did not have matches or a bar of soap under it to level it off but was probably close to original to the hotel!

The bed was ok and the Hi-Fi was down for one of 2 days with no time line on it being back up and no follow-up from the front desk as promised.

I do like the conveniance of downtown close to my customers and the points that I get from Coast but that only gets you so far and although I do and will stay at the Coast in many other interior hotels but think that I am going to await a rennovation before I return to this one as the cost is too high for the limited that it does offer.... Sorry Coast but you are going to have to try harder!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank BillyBobsBro
Coalmont
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2010

The fridge was dirty, the sink didn't hold water, the portable phone didn't work and the pen leaked. There was nowhere to walk our dog, so we had to drive her to a green area to do her business. We paid more for this hotel than one in Burnaby!!! The parking lot is small and when full, you must park on the roof and walk down a flight of stairs to get to the elevator. This is problematic for someone with knee problems. The housekeeping staff were friendly but the front desk not so much. Really cheap with the coffee whitener and sugar in the room. Only one hot chocolate packet in the room - what if we both wanted some? We won't be staying here again!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2010

If you ever wanted to stay in a room that is indentical to the Roper's abode from "Three's Company", you've found your place. Holes in curtains, crusty carpet and sheets, thin walls, and decor that looks to be from the early to mid 1970's. Priced too high for what you get. Location is right downtown which has its pro's and con's. There are a few newer hotels on the way into town from the airport by the casino that give the traveller more options. When I called down to ask about the fitness center, the front desk suggested a few machines were under repair and that I would be better off buying a pass to golds.... which I did....extra 5 bucks but ok by me.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank billybob101
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2010

The lobby does look nice, but room we stayed in was dingy and smelled of B.O. Others in our group had same complaints. Someone was smoking on our floor and the hotel's solution was to send a cleaner with a febreeze bottle into the hallway, making it smell worse. Didn't help that one of the elevators broke down while we were there. The fitness room was pretty dismal but the pool was quite nice and there was a jacuzzi and sauna as well. People complain about downtown PG, but it was fine. I'm a female traveller and I wasn't uncomfortable walking around the admittedly deserted streets. Best part of this hotel is it's walking distance to the Twisted Cork - an amazing independent restaurant with microbrewery beers, a fantastic reasonably priced menu and a quality pub, cozy atmosphere. I'd go back to this hotel just to be close to this restaurant. But they can close early on quiet nights so call ahead.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Victoria, BC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2010

Hotel stands tall above all others in town-physically. Looked like the nicest hotel from the outside, and location is perfect-close to bus stop, library, shopping, and restaurants. The lobby is gorgeous, and the hotel looks lustrous at check-in. But the low rate was reflected in the drab room. The decor was outdated, and window was small, room was dim. Bathroom was compact as well. I stayed for 3 nights, and used the indoor pool/hot tub each day-all to myself. Tried the tanning salon in the lower level, it did not appear dirty, but just lacked a confidence inspiring appearance. The restaurant in the lobby level "coffee garden" was excellent. I ate there 3 times, and the food tasted original and fresh, service was friendly. The front desk staff was mostly good, though there was one lady who was unfriendly. The cleaning staff was always friendly, but there was a tray of room service left in my hallway on the floor for what seemed like a day and a half. The sound insulation was below average, I could hear other guests across the hall, albeit they were singing. Overall, the value at this hotel was good, and I will probably return due to the excellent location. I will ask if they have any updated rooms though.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
British Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2009

My room was clean and comfortable, however the food at thehotel is not very good. We ate at the Japanese restaurant one day, and the hot food was slightly warm. As well the dinner at the other restaurant was only so so. I recomend going to the White Spot across the street to dine or somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business