“POOL CLOSED for months (false advertising)”

Sandman Signature Prince George Hotel
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Prince George
Edmonton
“POOL CLOSED for months (false advertising)”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I have stayed at the Sandman Signature in Prince George on two prior business trips without complaint. I was unimpressed this time. Not only is the pool still "broken" but there is a sign outside advertising Chops which doesn't exist. In my books that is false advertising on both counts since that pool has been "broken" for over six months. I learned on my first stay that the restaurant sucks, so I don't eat there. Aside from that, I was unimpressed with front desk in particular this trip.
I booked online and got a confirmation e-mail. Two days before my trip, I got a re-confirmation from Sandman reservations. I arrived at the hotel after a long day or flying and working to have the front desk tell me there was no reservation for me. I pulled up the reservation confirmation on my phone and she said maybe it was reserved at the other Sandman and proceeded to phone them even though I specifically said I reserved the Signature and I pointed to the hotel name in the confirmation e-mail. She told me the hotel name on the reservation was not their name because they are not the Sandman SIgnature Hotel & Suites. She still couldn't find the reservation and she said there were no Signature King Suites available for the night so she said she would upgrade me to the loft suite for the same price. I confirmed with her that the "upgrade" had the full kitchen just like the room I reserved and she said yes. Imagine my dismay when I discovered that the room had just a kitchenette and perhaps the worst room layout I have ever seen. A toilet on a different floor from the bed is not my idea of luxury. One closet to hang clothes - right at the door, rather than where the bed is and where one might get dressed. The room had a broken dresser handle too. I went down to the front desk to let them know I was not happy and asked to be moved. They said they could move me in the morning if I would pack and leave my bags at the front so that they could clean the room. No offer was made to reduce the room rate for the hotel's screw up - I paid $20 extra to have the full kitchen, so I'm unhappy about that. In the morning when I went to drop off my bags they told me there was a King Suite available and gave me keys so that I could go right in. This was at 7:15 in the morning - there are no housekeepers that are so good as to be able to clean a check out that early, so the only possible explanation is that the room was available and front desk just didn't try hard enough to find me what I reserved. The icing on the cake came this morning when I got an e-mail from Sandman reservations thanking me for reserving online and asking my opinion.
The experience has made me unlikely to book the Sandman again for my next trip. The rest of my experience was fine and the beds are really pretty comfortable..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tanya E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Fort St. James, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed at the hotel as we were in town for a wedding. Was great to have a variety of rooms ...some with kitchenettes so we could have breakfast. It's a new hotel, very nice rooms. As someone else's review said, the workmanship in the hotel is not great. Can see it not staying NEW for very long. Overall, was a modern hotel and we had a wonderful stay! Oh...pillows were too puffy too! Other then that, it was fine!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Okanagan Falls, Canada
Reviewed February 13, 2013

First visit to this Signature hotel and it will be my last. For the price of the room and the "Signature" status, this place sucked. The workmanship in the hotel room is awful. Gotta love the strategically placed bath mat to hide the hole on the side of the bath tub. Staff where not friendly either.

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Christine P
Edmonton
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Bed was comfortable. Room was clean. A little overpriced for the stay. Staff seemed tired. Just the kind of people that should not be working in customer service. There were small issues with the room, just cosmetic though. Like a piece of wood ripped out of the door, a really poor caulking job on the tub. Bumps and dents in the walls of the hallways. Its just getting used a lot and not a lot of fixing being done. Pulled the lamp table back to plug in my phone and found plenty of garbage, along with a used condom wrapper. You would think that cleaning staff would pull that stuff out once in a while. Oh well another hotel, another disappointment. For the price you would think there would be some kind of continental breakfast but alas no. There is a coffee machine around the corner, grumpy morning guy grunted at me. So plan to eat breakfast out.

Room Tip: Stay at the casino across the road
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Scott D
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Stayed here on December 8, and was first impressed by the friendly staff and decor.
Checked into our loft suite and found either finger or toe nail clippings in the tub and around the base of the toilet, after a late dinner was ready for bed and went to pull the top blanket down and discovered a white bodily discharge dired onto it!!! Housekeeping staff really need to start paying attention to detail and actually start cleaning the rooms!!!
Would not recommend this hotel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Colin S
Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 4 nights- very comfortable good value for what I got. Fitness centre sparse bit functional and wifi was intermittent. Best- the bed was so comfortable. Staff was friendly. Would most definitely recommend.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank Sallywind
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

After a delayed flight out of Vancouver I arrived in Prince George only to find that my car rental had not been made. Oh wait it had been made just budget didn't have the right paper work and the CSR at the airport was rude and made me feel unwelcome. But upon arrival at Sandman Signature the CSR Tasha treated me with respect and curtesy. She with a smile gave me the keys to my room and wished me a good nights rest. I have stayed at the coast inn and four points. But nothing beats Sandman Signature, thanks Tasha for making me feel at home.

Nick from Vic