“Always Good Food!”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: phone munber is 250 564-1153
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Dana Mandi provides consistently good food and good service! Whether you are dining in or taking out you will get the same great results every time!

The Saturday night dinner buffet is a really nice choice - very well priced with a fantastic selection.

From the samosa and pakora to the chili chicken and curried goat you CANNOT miss with this restaurant!!

1  Thank Trish L

Reviewed September 1, 2012

At first, I thought I had made an unfortunate error. I was led to believe this was a restaurant.
It turns out I was correct.
This confusion occurred when I walked into an Indian grocery store filled linoleum to halogen with dried and canned goods; I noted a lack of chairs and menus. An Indian shopkeeper with loud lungs asked me if a required assistance. I declined and exited, then proceeded to orbit around the establishment until I found the entrance to Dana Mandi.
I’m instantly shocked at the astounding level of workmanship in this tiny restaurant. Some corner located, privately owned eateries feature questionable build qualities, having to purchase furnishings and fixtures from a catalogue rather than having everything custom-built. Dana Mandi strikes me with the same level of workmanship seen with large, anchor restaurants—the ones other stores attach to for support. You could easily miss Dana Mandi on a drive by (actual drive, not a shooting…though that’s also probably correct). Matching stained chairs and tables with dark toned walls that counterpart the carpet, my sister and her discriminating makeover talents would be impressed. Paintings depicting looms and deities hang from the walls, and appealing Indian music plays from a stereo by the wall. Here’s the kicker, the door swings open and the same loud-lunged clerk from the store walks in and greets me. Turns out Dana Mundi is a grocery store and a restaurant.
Cold water with no ice (thank you) is offered without a menu. This was expected and not an issue, as I was told ahead of time that the buffet was the only real option at lunch. I had mentioned in a previous post that I’d avoid the buffet where possible, but I also remember believing it was a bad idea at the time. I’m early and the relatively small counter is bare, so I wait. Not a big deal; I’ve written until this point talking about how nice Dana Mandi looks, though being four feet from the buffet, with its wafting smells, I’m beginning to go a little peculiar.
The only problem is that the food isn’t labeled, so I don’t know what is what. I can spot a butter chicken, a masala, a curry or two. I’m not sure this one is lamb or goat. I sample each one on the first plate with plans to lock down on a favorite one a return trip…bad idea. Everything is delicious. Perfectly spiced, wonderfully tender, the plate is cleaned in minutes and a like a hyena, I cackle madly and race back for more food. I’m uncomfortable around buffets, just in general. Waddling shoulder-to-shoulder with strangers, always worried one may reach over your personal space, or that you may reach over theirs. Worse, you’re up there alone with people watching the back of your head. Do you return your plate or leave it and get another? And how many times can you walk back up?
Nothing is too hot. Nothing chews tough or rubbery. I hear another patron asking the pale blonde server about specific dishes. Even she doesn’t know the proper names of them all, whether a meat dish is goat, lamb or chicken, though she does explain goat meat usually includes bones. The naan is better than mine…and I am good at naan. The fat kid inside of me wants to go back for thirds. I must fight that urge. I lose. Just a few more of those little…I dunno what.
Turns out it’s vegetable pakora.
At $16, this is a steal, with all the rice I can pile upon my plate. When I first sat down, I thought this place was called Dana Mundi, which made me think of Axis Mundi. In various mythologies, Axis Mundi is the axis of the planet, the center of the world, or the connecting thread between Earth and Heaven. Dana Mandi feels like one extra step to paradise. The only thing that would make this place better is if Kumar Pallana juggled rings by my table (and no, I won’t explain that). Dana Mandi is the best Indian food I’ve had to date, and one of the more enjoyable restaurants since this blog began.
Go.
Food: 5/5
Service: 4/5
Presentation: 5/5
Value: 5/5
Recommendation: 5/5

1  Thank PrinceGastronome
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Don't let this little hole in the wall restaurant fool you. Usually it's excellent, with just the righ amount of spices and large enough servings to take home a box. Lately, though, customers say it's slipping, due to lack of Indian chefs.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

I spend 3 weeks out of eight in PG. I would eat more often at Dana Mandi's if they served Okanagan cider. Heck, they don't even serve Grower's cider!

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Nice setting. Service is awesome. Food is tasty! 2nd best place for east indian food in town.