“Great place!”

Twisted Cork
Ranked #8 of 236 Restaurants in Prince George
Cuisines: Contemporary, Canadian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/85/1452989/restaurant/British-Columbia/The-Twisted-Cork-Prince-George
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stopped in and really liked everything about the place! Food was Great and the dirty martinis were perfect. Would recommend to anyone.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

We were surprised to find a restaurant that featured grass-fed beef. They also source as much food locally as possible. The food was great as was the service.

1  Thank zenboy4ever
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Everything was ok. The server, the environment, the decor, food was seasoned right, the steak cooked to perfection. I really enjoyed it

Reviewed September 1, 2012

I never seem to eat where I intend. I planned on sushi. I was committed to sushi. I drive to Sakura only to find it closed for three days due to some staff holiday. Bizarre. As result, Tokyo Sushi, a salmon’s length away, is crowded, so I move on. I am far too ill to be wandering around like this, so I eventually stumble into The Twisted Cork, a location I had only heard of a few weeks prior. The TC is located in spitting distance to a half-dozen other restaurants including the Caribou Steakhouse, awkwardly situated next door. I walk in and am greeted by two doors with no signs. Left or right. I try left. I walk into a private dining room filled with patrons assuming I know where I’m going. Don’t you hate it when you enter a room and have thirty sets of eyes looking back? Right.

The Twisted Cork definitely has wood. Let me restate; there’s a lot of wood. Only if this place was carved from a solid sequoia could it feature more timber. Clear polish on the tables showcase all the knots, flaws, and scratches. Wooden beams, wooden tables, wooden chairs, wooden bar, wooden doors—holy crap, the roof is exposed natural wood as well. I’m in a British pub from the 18th century. The despicable Prince George hotel across the street and in view of the window corrects me. That said, The Twisted Cork looks beautiful. The consistency of the restaurant’s approach must be admired. I just wished it was a separate building outside of the city center and not crammed downtown surrounded by competition. The only saving grace here is that nearby Tony Roma closed its doors in 2010 and The Keg around the block has been in renovation since (apparently) the Battle of Hastings.

The lunch menu is the common assortment of dishes that seemingly every restaurant in this town is required to offer. The same miss-matched collection of burgers, panini, and quesadillas. The offered special is a cheddar and roast beef panini with a side soup of broccoli and bacon. When in doubt, go special. I’m not trying to nitpick, as I imagine I would be equally critical of Nancy O’s if I had gone to TTC first, but I do hope this will be the last of these generic menus. Defenders would declare that at least THEIR restaurant applies a certain stratum of quality to their ordinary dishes. Let’s hope.

If I didn’t know better, I’d say that the waiter serving me is the only one on the floor. Like Cimo and North 54, there’s an impressive collection of wines behind the bar. House wines are at a discount today. If only I drank wine…or any alcohol for that matter. The plate is huge, so the portions appear small. The broccoli soup lacks a certain something…right…broccoli. Where I would usually expect a broccoli soup to be green (thank you Gordon Ramsey), this bowl is mild beige with specks of green and tastes more of bacon than broccoli. Don’t get me wrong, it’s good (actually great); I’m just commenting. The panini is grilled to perfection and tastes per its specified ingredients.

The Twisted Cork neither feels like a drop-in café like Nancy O’s nor a high-end establishment like Cimo or North 54. It fills in a strange niche occupied by many franchise locations like Earls and Moxis. I will set The Twisted Cork away from them as it exhibits a unique charm amongst the monotony of franchises. I will also add that is passes them like a Porsche on the autobahn on the matter of value. At less than $10, my lunch is by far the greatest value I have had since eating pho at U&Me. The waiter concludes my meal with four mints that taste like fruit creamsicles. I’m alone, and he gets a tip.

Food: 4/5
Service: 4/5
Presentation: 5/5
Value: 5/5
Recommendation: 4.5/5

Reviewed August 30, 2012

The first time I have visited and will be the last. The food was good, but the service was terrible.