“Disappointing”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Prince George, BC
“Disappointing”
Reviewed October 15, 2009

I had heard good things about this restaurant, including the reviews on this site -- perhaps my husband and I caught it on an off night. We went there for our 20th anniversary dinner, hoping for a special experience, but it was not to be:
-- Dirty napkin at my place setting (however, it was cheerfully replaced --service throughout was enthusiastic though somewhat unpolished -- e.g., steak knife placed on the wrong side)
— No bread (warm or otherwise) on the table, as one would expect
— My husband’s steak (ordered medium rare) came medium well. On the plus side, the 8 oz size was not available, so they brought two six-ouncers.
— I ordered halbut, but when it arrived, it seemed to be some other fish. I love halibut and have eaten it all over BC, but this fish had large, slippery firm flakes, brownish colour in places, and lacked halbut’s finely-textured, almost fluffy white flesh and delicate flavour. Was it cod? Snapper? I don’t eat them often enough to be able to tell -- I’m a halibut girl.
-- The mixed grilled vegetables were acceptable, except for some very tough string beans

Perhaps we should have complained and given the White Goose a chance to fix things, but it was our anniversary and we wanted to have a pleasant evening. On a work night, we also didn’t want to wait while they re-cooked everything. Sigh. We will be heading out somewhere else this weekend for a *real* anniversary dinner.

Given the great reviews on this site and the good reputation it has in Prince George, I would be willing to cautiously give the White Goose another chance, perhaps for lunch, but I would not risk an important dinner there again.

1 Thank MissGelic

Victoria BC
“Wow”
Reviewed October 2, 2009

Excellent Italian cuisine from a highly creative and skilled chef.
The man is a real artist. All of the pasta is fresh and home-made, of course.
Prince George is a beer, lunchbucket and bowling ball town; they are lucky to
have a place of this calibre. It's as good as anything I've had in Italy.
The ambience is very agreeable & the fairly extensive wine list is reasonably priced. Bravo!

British Columbia, Canada
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed September 18, 2009

Every time I have been to the White Goose Bistro, I've had something different--and it's all been good. My favourite thing to do is to choose the 5-course tasting menu and let the chef be creative. It's well worth it for a special occasion, or for when you just want a fantastic meal that will make you think you're in another city (or another country!). It's both down to earth and sophisticated, continually surprising, and always excellent quality food and great service. It's a hidden gem in Prince George.

Prince George, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed August 24, 2009

It was our anniversary on a Monday night and our 'stand-by' restaurant was closed so we were unsure where to go to celebrate. Our experience at White Goose surpassed our expectations! Every dish we ordered was done to perfection. Service was helpful but not intrusive. We were able to enjoy a relaxing private dinner and felt not only comfortably nourished but well taken care of. We were pleasantly surprised that we were able to enjoy a first class meal, at a reasonable price in our home town. Our dining experiences have been extensive throughout Canada, US and Europe and White Goose is a strong competitor!