“Delicious food”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 19, 2014

I had no idea what to expect coming into this restaurant, but I was very pleased with everything. This restaurant is rather small and has a very nice atmosphere - quiet with soft jazz music. The menu has a great variety with all kinds of dishes from lamb, steak, duck, seafood and lighter weight options as well. Mostly, I just have to stay, that the food was delicious! I had the White Goose salad and the seafood pasta. My husband had the crab stuffed mushrooms and the seafood risotto. The food portions were large and excellent. We didn't have room for dessert, but the desserts were very impressive looking as well. The food was delicious, the service was good, the wine was excellent - an excellent dinner!

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Being a Prince George resident for many years,It can sometimes be difficult to find consistant quality and service in our restaurants,thus many of them fail.The White Goose delivers good food and service everytime.Keep up the good work!

Reviewed August 18, 2014

I’ve decided this will be my last review of White Goose. Am I bored? No. Has their quality fallen? Of course not. But talking and posting about White Goose Bistro by this point is like walking up to random strangers and discussing how awesome Star Wars is. I mean everyone gets it, we’re all on the same page. It’s one of those natural laws we accept as fact. Grass is green; water is wet; sky is blue; women have secrets; White Goose is an amazing restaurant. In my recent article covering the Northern Taste challenge, I compared head chef Ryan Cyre to Thannos from Guardians of the Galaxy.

White Goose had the best table at the recent Summerfest Taste Pavilion and won the recent BCNE Northern Taste Challenge. My recent visit to their actual restaurant was marked by a visit by actor Ron Perlman and celebrity chef/author Bob Blumer. And even with those eminent patrons, Ryan still made a point to approach my table personally to discuss a dish I had ordered. There are great chefs in Prince George—fact—but I have yet to find one with the passion for food like Ryan. He lives and breathes good food. I doubt he sweats sweat; more likely he sweats béchamel sauce…which…admittedly sounds disgusting, but you get my point. And he gathers around him colleagues who match his passion, who strive for that high quality. This includes his sister, running front of house, who could also be a better baker than him.

In a previous review I had mentioned that White Goose was a revolutionary experience for such a small town, nailing a coffin in the accusation that restaurants in Prince George cannot be and should not be critiqued on the same grounds as those in Vancouver and that local restaurants can never hope to achieve the echelon of quality boasted by the likes of celebrity chefs and Michelin star establishments in larger cities. I also mentioned that White Goose should be that special place you take your loved one for birthdays and anniversaries, and not where you take a girl you met the day before on your first date. It’s a foodie’s heaven, and when I die far in the future from, hopefully, a failed heart after a night of constant debauchery on my 99th birthday, and I gain the Matrix-like ability to construct my own heaven like Robin Williams in What Dreams May Come (I'll miss him), there will be a spot where a White Goose will sprout…because it wouldn’t be a heaven without it.

And that would be the end of it, a proper close to the review, but I love gushing about the food. I started with the grilled polenta served with a mouth-watering porcini mushroom reduction and followed that with seared tuna with grilled risotto. The main was also fringed by a fistful of spring beans, which I usually don’t finish but totally cleaned up. There was a dessert, I remember, but didn’t take a photo of it, chocolate cake with butter pecan sauce I believe. Now don’t get me wrong, I still love North 54 and Twisted Cork, but I plan my year around the days I can save up for White Goose. It’s just worth it. And returning back to the Star Wars metaphor, sure, every year films get made that win best picture Oscars, and that’s all good, but Star Wars is just…well…Star Wars.

…unless JJ Abrams screws it up…which he totally could.

Just saying.

1  Thank PrinceGastronome
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Every time I go to the White Goose (for lunch) I am full and pleased when I leave. It is a very nice, homely, inviting environment and the food is FANTASTIC. Last time I went I got the beef dip lunch special and the whole arrangement was great. The waiter always made sure things were good and our drinks were full. Highly recommend!

1  Thank Danilea M
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Good food, however disappointed with the attitude of the server who became snarky and rude when I didn't receive what I ordered. The waiter never did check with us how are meals were either.

1  Thank Gillian R