“over priced”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Prince George, BC, CANADA
“over priced”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The food is good, small portions and way over priced. The atmosphere is OK but I have been to many restaurants in PG that have a better atmosphere than that.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank missingthebuffet

“FIVE STARS”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The proprietor/chef has an amazing knack for blending flavors and matching them. He is responsible for several fine dining menus around town. Give him a few days notice and do a taster menu matched to a good wine and you will smile all night long as your tummy is so happy the rest of you is completely sated. Beyond satisfactory. Perhaps to be eschewed on Valentine's as there is only a menu line up but ANY other time, three days notice and a taster menu. This restaurant will keep you coming back.

Visited May 2012
“Prince Gastronome”
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Once again, I wandered the streets of downtown Prince George. And once again, I aimed for one specific restaurant and ended up in another. I had never heard of the White Goose Bistro and it’s a damned shame. A corner restaurant across the street Kalo Donair, White Goose gets high marks for presentation and service. I was alone for the entire length of my stay but as readers are no doubt aware, this is not a guarantee for attention. Thankfully, I was constantly looked after. The White Goose is slightly festive but not overtly so. The seats are small but comfortable and the tables are well spaced. Although with the illusion of a higher seating capacity, I would wager no more than 30 people could squeeze into this place. The overall décor looked so professional, I was momentarily worried that I’d walked into a franchise—a smaller, more inviting variation of a Moxie’s. The dishes are similar as well, but the White Goose raises the bar significantly with a dozen dishes I wanted to try right then.
There was the main menu, the specials menu, AND an express lunch menu, the latter promising a meal in ten minutes for ten dollars. I was immediately drawn to the three mini burgers, sampling buffalo, cow, and ostrich meat. However, I settled on the special, a steak and mozzarella panini. Now, although once could call it a panini, this felt more like a flatbread cheesesteak, something I have no issue with. At fifteen dollars, it was priced around the same as the Moxie’s cheeseteak, but what I was served was nearly twice the size. The flatbread was flawlessly toasted, pressing shredded steak with melted cheese, edged by a helping of fries and a leaf salad drizzled with caramelized balsamic. Everything was made to perfection.
It’s difficult for me to find fault with the White Bistro. As a negative, it’s some distance away from home, placed in a neighborhood which could be better. Parking nearby is free and once inside, the professional atmosphere offers a genuine feeling of confidence that your time and money will be well spent. As proof, I am hoping to find excuse to return to the White Goose and try those burgers.
I will also add that I entered during lunch service. Glancing at the dinner prices, I hope the quality of those dishes justify the cost. At 198 francs ($40), you can get an 8 oz ostrich steak with a risotto cake accompaniment. At 40$, I hope the bird is brought out, named, baptized, and then killed on the spot for my amusement—it’s teeny beaked head staring at me during my meal. Just saying, 40$ can be a lot for a piece of a big chicken.
Still, I do want to try it.
Also in full disclosure, White Goose technically has no goose plate, though it does have ostrich, chicken, and duck. I am sure for 50$, the head chef would happily kill and serve you a swan.
Food: 5/5
Service: 5/5
Value: 4/5

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank PrinceGastronome
“Excellent romantic restaurant”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Last night, my husband and I tried the White Goose Bistro for the first time. We really enjoyed it. We normally get two different meals so we can sample each others. Well they had a special, 4 course meal for $40 (On the menu is a 5 course meal for $50). With this, you tell the waitress/waiter what you dislike, allergies. Then she tells the chef and and creates a special meal for you. It is a great way for a chef to try out new things and for customers to be surprised and try new things as well. Well it was a great choice. We had an amazing meal - especially loved their lobster ravioli.
We loved the decor in the restaurant and love that it is not a large cramped feeling restaurant. I would highly recommend trying out this restaurant, and if you do, letting the chef do his thing!

Price-wise- I would compare it to the Cimo's or Moxies

• Visited August 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“So yummy”
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I just love lunch at the white goose. It's always something new. I always get there special of the day and never fails to be so good. I have only had dinner there a few times. And everytime it don't fail to be a very good dinner. But I do wish we got warm bread or a salad. Other wise it's very good. And the service is amazing.