“Sassafras surprises”

Sassafras Savouries
Ranked #31 of 234 Restaurants in Prince George
Cuisines: Canadian
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I would have missed this place, with its unassuming exterior and small folksy sign, except a work colleague had been there before and recommended it. I'm glad he did. The food was excellent and healthful. Sadly they were out of the three quiche options, as we were running late for lunch, but the "gentle lentil" soup and organic salad hit the spot. My lunch-mates were all similarly pleased with their selections, ranging from the shepherd's pie to reuben sandwiches. The coffee - decaf americano - was acceptable but not great. The service was good, although they left one of our party waiting with a missed order. But that mistake was corrected reasonably quickly. I would definitely eat there again; a far better choice than the boring chain restaurants prevailing everywhere.

There are newer reviews for Sassafras Savouries

Reviewed December 6, 2012

I found this quiet little cafe style restaurant. Simple Menu warm atmospheere and the food smelled great. Our server was a total sweetheart. However it wasnt the food that was the problem, or the service.

While we were sitting down to enjoy our delicious soup and a panini we could hear whom I assume was the owner or manager arguing with her staff quite loudly.

We could also hear very loud rap music coming from what I assume was the kitchen and I assume it was the cooks voice I could here swearing.

My kids over heard this vile language. Ill be back based only on the service but I dont think this is a place for children.

2  Thank Eriq F
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Sassafras Savouries claims itself a cafe, but resembles an avant-garde diner where I’d expect free-verse poets and beatniks to gather on the weekend. Beatniks? I actually said beatniks. In defense, the waiter that greeted me was one black beret away from being an elongated Andy Warhol. I followed his direction to my table as catchy ethnic drums and bells clanged from nearby speakers. There should be a stage where Lennon-shades-wearing turtlenecks beat out a spoken word song in Iambic pentameter. That may seem a satirical comment, but these places exist in town.

Sassafras Savouries does have a cafe pastry counter and a blackboard of specials etched in stylistic colorful chalk. The coffee mugs remind me of those offered by my sister when I visit—wide top with pastel colours and a capacity to create an undertow if jostled. Savouries’ decor is way above average for a cafe, with upholstered stalls and matching chairs. The ceiling office tiles were painted burgundy (after they were placed in position, meaning cracks of white still show). This was a great looking place, right down to the rustic and reserved lamps hanging above.

The waitress recommended the pierogi over the vegetarian calzones. I also opted for Hungarian mushroom soup as a starter. The delivered bowl came flanked with herb encrusted warm bread. Sapping up the soup with the bread was as close to a gastronomic orgasm as I’ve had in months. The soup was obviously poured from a fresh batch simmering from an oven top. The service was great between dishes. The waitress offered extra napkins even though I sat alone. My water only had one ice cube (I hate it when my water is mostly ice).

The pierogies which followed were photo-worthy (alas no camera). Slightly fried, served with sausage, peppers, and sautéed onions which carried a distinctive sweet taste, I’ve never had a plate of customarily bland food made this well before. There was thought and attention in the preparation. I never would have believed pierogies could be that good. I can’t see ever buying the four dollar Superstore No Name variety again. And using sausage instead of bacon was brilliant. If there was any criticism, I would say the dollop of sour cream could have been larger. But this doesn’t feel like cafe food, certainly not one when levied against last week’s insipid example.

How did I miss this place?

I was sure that after over a year of doing these reviews, down to my last few restaurants, that I’d seen all that I could in regards to quality. And yet once again this blog proves its worth, at least for its writer, finding a place I would’ve previously ignored. Sassafras is the culinary definition of a hidden gem; a location only a few know of, keeping it a secret from the burger and cod loin eaters preferring the likes of Denny’s and Denny’s wannabes. With amazing service, great food, I’m proud to say I can still be surprised. I just wished it was closer. Wedged in a corner across from a large hotel, I can see where business comes from, but outside of walking distance from the city core, and beyond reasonably driving distance to any center of education, Sassafras won’t benefit from the kind of people that can truly appreciate it.

It’s too bad it’s not located next to a book store or inside some civic event complex. Instead, it must rely on the success of word of mouth, like my extremely satisfied mouth, now craving sweetened sautéed onions with spiced smokies and pierogies. If I worked or lived even close to Sassafras, eating here would become a tradition. It’s unfortunate that so many cafes don’t escalate to a full-bore restaurant in the evenings. Despite outward appearances, their dishes are not easy to replicate. I applaud their menu variety. I’m interested in returning to try that vegetarian calzone. Even though I felt my stomach waving a little white flag, my old fat side wanted another serving, despite my desire to trim 20 lbs by the summer. Those of you who don’t suffer from such limitations are sure to get soup and a main; the $17 will be worth it.

Not good at poetry. Alas, Sassafras Savouries isn’t five syllables.

I found a new place
It’s Sassafras Savouries
You should eat there now

Thank you.

Food: 4.5/5
Service: 5/5
Presentation: 3.5/5
Value: 4/5
Recommendation: 4.25/5

1  Thank PrinceGastronome
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Fresh, homemade food. Always good for a healthy alternative lunch. The desserts are always yummy too.

Reviewed June 8, 2012

This is one of my favourite places to meet friends for lunch. The food is excellent, fresh and tasty. There is just enough variety and the prices are reasonable. I enjoyed the funkiness of the old location but this new space is roomier and more comfortable. The service has improved over the past year.