“Not the place I remembered”

The Vanilla Pod Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Vanilla Pod Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 192 Restaurants in Penticton
Cuisines: Wine Bar, Canadian, International
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups, Scenic view, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: At The Vanilla Pod restaurant, our cuisine style is focussed on local and seasonal ingredients with an underlying emphasis on flavour. Key ingredients include fresh herbs which in the summer months are picked from the herb garden next to the restaurant.Tapas style dishes of international and mediterranean flavours combined with fresh Okanagan ingredients make for a delightful exploration of contemporary cuisine. Visual presentation is as important as innovation in flavour with judicious use of spices and other seasonings being central to the dishes created by Executive Chef Bruno Terroso.
Penticton, Canada
“Not the place I remembered”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

After several visits when located in Summerland, and very pleased, this was a major disappointment. The views are stunning but are also available in countless other locations so that does not set them apart. The décor is stark to the point you feel construction must have come to an abrupt halt prior to completion. Seriously, we felt like we were sitting in the showroom of a car dealership with tables and chairs rather than vehicles. Service? Neither great nor poor.....adequate would best describe it so that was a bit disappointing as well because a really good server can make even mediocre food a pleasant experience. And that is what the food was, mediocre. It was a classic three dressed up as a nine. If they spent half as much time on the food as they did on presentation, they might actually have something worth returning for. As for value, let me say that as an experienced diner I am accustomed to bucking up for a really good meal and experience so am not really sticker shocked when the evening ends. Having said that, and giving their new location two kicks at the can with similar end results I would recommend you save your money. For what you will get dinged for here, I can think of at least half a dozen other Penticton restaurants where the food, service and ambiance are far superior and you could eat there twice for the same amount of coin.

• Visited September 2013
4 Thank SkahaFoodie

West Kelowna, Canada
“Over Priced, Over Rated, disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

My wife and I attended for her office function in December, her meal was covered by her annual dues, while my meal cost $80.00 for a 4 course meal, I had the salmon which was nicely presented and tastey, but not a hot meal, service was very, very slow, and our table had meals delivered at different times over a 30 minute period, some had finished before we even started our entrees. My wife ordered the turkey and said it was the worse turkey meal she had very tasted and left most of it on her plate. I might ad the portions are sparse and more focused on presentation versus leaving dinners feeling satisfied. Each table of 6-8 had a bottle of red and white wine on the table. I ordered a glass of red house wine before we were seated for dinner, the glass contained 5oz of house wine and I paid $13.50 for this 5 oz glass of wine.
The setting of the restaurant is on the bench, with nice views.
Would I return or recommend this restaurant, obviously not. There are some excellent restaurants in Penticton, & Summerland I would recommend before the Vanilla Pod, save yourself the disappointment and keep some money in your pocket at the same time.

4 Thank Donald D
british columbia
“An excellent dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

This recent visit was our first meal at Vanilla Pod's new location within Poplar Grove winery, with a stunning view of the city, hills and lake. As the restaurant is essentially an extension of the existing Poplar Grove facility, the very clean modern style carries throughout the building. Although this clean simple style might not suit everyone's taste, I enjoyed the ambience, the warm fire and the open plan kitchen.

Service was excellent, and despite this being the off-season (excepting the Christmas build-up) staffing levels well matched the dining numbers resulting in very attentive personal service.

The only bugaboo about the restaurant setup is, not surprisingly, that the restaurant is tied more or less to Poplar Grove wine selections. This winery is not my favourite on the Naramata bench, but we did find the Monster Merlot to be a pleasant easy drinker.

We had the harvest special four course selection which was absolutely delicious. A warming piping hot butternut squash soup, followed by warm roasted beets and greens, a very hearty beef shortrib and mash which melted in the mouth and finally the Okanagan fruit crumble. Great presentation, everything bursting with fall colour and flavour. I'm not too hard to please when it comes to travel, food and drink, but this was certainly a memorable experience for both of us.

Calgary, Canada
“One of the best meals of my life”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

Eat everything you possibly can! I recommend going when the sun is just setting you get some heat and a view but not blinded either outside or inside with the setting sun. I went in July and we sat just inside and it was perfect.

Visited August 2013
Penticton, Canada
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

We had the pleasure of dining at this wonderful restaurant recently and can only say wonderful things. Four course meal that was delicious, simple, and fulfilling. Service was excellent. The venue spectacular. The wine was great and went well with our meal. No complaints what so ever. Not an inexpensive meal, but well worth it for a special occasion like an anniversary. By far the best we've had in a while. I suspect we will be back and will introduce some friends to this dining experience.