“Consistently great food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Theo's Restaurant

Theo's Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 192 Restaurants in Penticton
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Theo's is a family run Greek restaurant which opened in 1976. We use fresh produce from our garden when available and work with our local farmers and suppliers in the Okanagan valley to provide a menu which is both rooted in Greek village cooking and inspired by Okanagan ingredients.
Penticton, Canada
“Consistently great food and service”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We've had countless lunches and dinners at Theo's in Penticton. No matter when, you can always count on Theo's for consistently good food and service.

1 Thank OKfunseekers

Nanaimo, Canada
“lacking some Greek flavor in the food but still very good”
Reviewed May 25, 2014

I first came to Theo's in the mid 1980s. It's still one of the better Greek places that I've found in western Canada.

I have been to Greece dozens of times. The holy trinity of food there includes olive oil, oregano and lemon juice. I found my food at Theo's this visit lacked all three.

Ask your server to bring you a bowl of olive oil and leave it on the table. You'll need it. Also extra lemon slices for putting on the rest of the food, if you like authentic Greek food.

But now with EU the Greeks are making food like that to satisfy people from other countries who don't like Greek food tastes and are on diets so they are skimping on oil and oregano there too and lemons are cheap there so are plentiful when you get food. So Theo's is authentic modern Greek food. Pity. What's happening to the classic Mediterranean diet?

In the 80s,90s and early 2000s I loved the little stuffed vine leaves. I had the vine leaves this week. They are large and very few on the plate with very little sauce.

The lemon chicken soup was in a decent sized bowl, but it's mainly rice so no reason not to have a good sized bowl.

The bread used to come warm and with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Now you get a small bowl of sundried tomatoes in some oil. Hmmmm.....not very Greek to me. Cold dry rolls. Not great.

My friend loves the beet salad. She says the quantity and quality varies greatly. We had nice warm beets, but few green leaves, and the salad had no oil on it. We had our oil supply to dump on the salad then it was good.

We had salmon in filo. Ok, but the potatoes lacked oregano and oil and lemon. And filling the plate with both rice and potatoes a bit of a cheater for carb fill up.

Mediterranean ribs, ok, not very flavorful either and with the same rice and potatoes.

It's nice if Theo or Mary or Nikos (the family) are there but the staff we had were lukewarm for character or warmth. Atmosphere is going downhill a bit, I'd say. So is the food quality. But still it's one of the best places in B.C. so thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
“Best Greek Restaurant in Penticton”
Reviewed May 25, 2014

We visit Penticton once or twice a year and always make sure we visit Theo's for dinner. Oh man you cannot believe this place. Its absolutely beautiful inside. The service is excellent, so is the food. We have never been disappointed. The wine they sell is all from the Okanagan which is truly fantastic. If you have never been to Theo's you are missing out on alot. You will not be disappointed.

1 Thank June Q
NikosTheodosakis, Owner at Theo's Restaurant, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Hello, thank you for your kind words. Glad you enjoyed the food, service and atmosphere! Just to clarify about our wine list, yes most of the wines we carry are from the Okanagan valley, and we also have some international wines, and of course a selection of Greek wines, including Retsina, which is always a fun way to accompany a Greek meal. Thanks again for visiting, look forward to seeing you again. - Nikos
Penticton, Canada
“Going Downhill”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

My last 2 visits were disappointing. I've had the lamb shank so many times. Usually it's tender, falling off the bone flavorful. My last visit it was tough. I could barely get any meat off the shank. The time before that my spouse had the ribs. Something she has had many times before. Usually they are so tender, falling off the bone and delicious. This time the were tough and hard to chew.

The service staff are always so professional and helpful though. They go out of their way to make everything right with their customers so I will chance to go back again. I'm sure they will sort out this kitchen issue.

• Visited March 2014
Hello, would you please contact me and let me know when you had these meals? As you mentioned, the lamb shoulder and the rack of ribs should indeed be tender and flavourful and so we were wondering if this happened to you recently? We have not changed the recipes, preparation or suppliers so we eager to determine what happened with your orders. Thanks! - Nikos
Kelowna, Canada
“Nothing Greek or good about this place”
Reviewed May 17, 2014

I had one of the worst meals in a long time at Theo's tonight. Greeks are known to be excellent restaurateurs but this place is certainly not one of them. I doubt very much this place is owned by Greeks who typically know their food and are proud of their cuisine/what they serve the public. The tzatziki appetizer was not edible (which has never happened to me before) and the main course (the "special") was frozen, badly cooked on a bed on bland rice. This is NOT Greek food and I know my food. The waitress was very kind to buy us desert but even so, the bill was quite significant considering the quality of what we eat. This is the 1st time I have ever written a restaurant review but the world need to know how bad the food is at Theo's. Avoid at all costs...

2 Thank Bob J
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We were very sorry to hear how disappointed you were with your meal at our restaurant. This was certainly not the experience we would have wanted for you.

For almost forty years our family has taken pride in what we make and serve in our restaurant. We make everything that we serve, all our soups, sauces, desserts, even the yogurt for our vegetarian dolmathes, ourselves. Greek village dishes like the yigantes beans with honey, the barley rusks (that we bring in from our friend and baker from Crete), the taramasalata with fish roe and lemon, the lamb shoulder slow cooked on Greek oregano branches and the rabbit cooked with rosemary and baby onions, all reflect our love for a very simple and natural approach to food, health and dining. Most of the dishes are from the island of Crete where my parents Mary and Theo are from. Like in Greece, we are excited and proud to serve organically raised produce that we grow ourself in our large restaurant garden.

We prepare our tzatziki with fresh herbs, some from the plants that were next to you in our outdoor courtyard. I appreciate that Tzatziki can be prepared many different ways, and that some people prefer prominent garlic flavours versus light garlic flavours, or pureed herbs vs finely chopped, and so I respect your opinion if you did not like our Tzatziki. After you mentioned it to your server that you did not like it, we did try it and found the fresh mint and fresh dill prominent and not overpowering and the garlic flavour present but not masking the rest of the dish. As for the scallops and prawn skewar that you had as a main course, again, I apologize if you did not enjoy it.

We enjoyed so many compliments that weekend about our food that we can only suggest that some mistake was made in the preparation of your specific dish. We hope that you will come again and give another try to our menu, especially the village dishes. - Thank you.