“Beauty and the beastly”

Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 10, 2013

This newer location for Isshin offers a lovely ambience-if you are only looking at the decor. It has been awhile since we have been here, but that is because, with the exception of one visit (out of over a dozen), I have been disappointed with both the service and quality of the food.

My husband and I have gone there with other couples on three occasions, and on each of these visits each persons meal arrived at a different time. We have had to track down a waitress to request another beverage (serious lost revenue for the restaurant) and it has normally been service with a sneer.

My husband and I went for lunch on a Saturday. There were 4 other tables with guests. My husband ordered a roll from the menu. The waitress came back about 10 minutes after we had ordered to advise us that they didn't have the crab so he could not have the roll. We asked if they could make it with artifical crab instead. The waitress went away with this request and about 5 minutes later the manager came over to say, no, they couldn't make it with artificial crab. So we asked if they could substitute shrimp and he said no, no substitutions. So, we asked if they could just leave that component out and we were again refused.

I feel for owners who have poor service going on in their facilities, so I have called to speak to the owner or manager about concerns experienced on three visits. On two of the calls I left my name and number for callback-which I never received. The third time, which followed the visit described above, I spoke to the manager who did not give the impression that she cared at all. This was our last visit.

There are other places in town for sushi and we now choose them.

1  Thank fotograferswife
There are newer reviews for Isshin Sushi Bar and Asian Dining

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Must get the signature Isshin Japanese Spicy Sauce to go. Fast service and delicious fresh food. Will definitely come back.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

A few people told me how great Isshin was. Some even took me there. I gave it 3 tries... thoroughly unimpressed each time. The food is average and the prices are high. Stick with Evergreen, Ginza, or Genki. Ginza is across the street, better food and way more economical.

2  Thank imunno1
Reviewed October 25, 2012

When it was a little hole in the wall off main street, it was excellent. I love sushi and have eaten it all over the world. This little bar with a few (8?) tables was a good bargain too. Unfortunately, now that they have expanded to their front street location, I have found them more concerned with getting the food out asap, followed by you, and a much larger bill! I had the distinct feeling turnover is everything. The gomo ae was pre made and kept in the fridge until it was nearly frozen. For a good sushi meal, go across the street to Ginza.

1  Thank livetoride2003
Reviewed October 8, 2012

very good service, funky,very fresh. This was one of the best sushi meals we have had. very fair $$ four people ate food and wine just under $100