“Not so clean”

Days Inn & Conference Centre - Penticton
Ranked #5 of 43 Hotels in Penticton
Reviewed August 7, 2008

We had originally booked at the Ramada in Penticton, but after reading the favorable reviews about the Days Inn on Tripadvisor we thought we would give them a call and see if we could get a larger room. Penticton was very booked up for hotels for our dates, but the Days Inn did have a family room with a separate bedroom for the kids with bunk beds for a cheaper price than the one room in the Ramada.
We got in very late and when we pulled the bedspread back on the murphy bed we saw that the sheets were dirty. They had blood on them. Yuck, yuck, yuck. We phoned downstairs and the night clerk came up and changed the bed. She was quite upset too. The next morning I went to the front desk and asked to speak with the manager. I explained nicely that I was quite disgusted and if I had been able to find another hotel we would have checked out immediately. I asked her to ensure that all the bedding in the room was changed that day - including the bunk beds, all sheets and blankets. I was very clear.
I had a feeling though that things were not quite great at this hotel, so I put tiny bits of tape on the edges of the sheets to see if they really got changed. Sure enough when we got back very late in the evening NONE of the sheets or blankets had been changed. Went down to see the night clerk again. It was the same lady (very nice) and she was almost in tears when I told her. I just said I will be down again the the am to speak with the manager yet again.
We went to the front desk in the am to check out and the manager apologized and removed one nights stay from our bill. I didn't bother to try to find out if it was housekeeping or management that tried to lie about changing the sheets.
The hotel itself did SEEM clean but who knows. At the free breakfast the juices all ran out, the garbages were all overflowing.
I don't think I will be staying at a Days Inn again

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank WhiskersCanada
Write a ReviewReviews (1,142)

Reviewed August 3, 2008

The previous review by Tommy 129 sums this hotel up perfectly, it is ok for 1 night. Our room on the ground floor was clean and comfortable but extremely dark, with poor lighting ( dark blue lampshades do not help) and we did experience a lot of noise from adjoining rooms. We also had a good meal at the adjoining Black Iron Grille, after touring the town and not finding much else open on a Monday evening.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank stokersam
Reviewed August 3, 2008

From the on-line reviews I had read before arriving, we were not expecting much from this place! However, upon arrival, I was really impressed with the renovations and the upscale look of this place. It 's not a cold and ritzy place. It's better!! VERY nice front staff, very cozy, clean, bright and cheery rooms with the motel being real close to OK Lake. There has been lots to do for my boys...very clean indoor and outdoor pools, hot tub, free continental breakfast and BEST OF ALL, a very large balcony overlooking the outdoor pool and the beautifully landscaped courtyard.

I definitely recommend a stay in this motel! Well priced.

• Stayed: August 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank innana_lady
Reviewed July 2, 2008

My wife and I stayed at this allocated motel for one night (mid June 08) as part of Jonview's fly drive package tour of Canada.

The reception staff were very friendly and helpful and because there was a Bridge tournament taking place, they gave us an upgrade to a G/Floor (N American 1st Floor) de-luxe suite. This room had it’s own patio area with chairs. Because of the overhang from the balcony above, the room was a little on the dark side.

The room was large with two queen beds (which were comfortable) and the room was clean and well decorated. There was also a fridge. However, as a previous reviewer has said, this type of room has the wash basin in the main room, rather than in the bathroom, which at times was rather inconvenient.

There is an external and internal pool, and indoor whirlpool, which were all clean and good.

Unfortunately the building is also of timber framed construction with siding and metal sheet roof and we suffered with a huge noise problem from the adjoining room with guests talking until 1.30am and the floor timbers/ceiling creaking from the guests walking around in the room above. The guttering by the entrance to our block also overflowed onto the parking lot and when it rained, I had to move the car because of this. Being in the construction industry, I would call this building “a cheap and quick build project”.

There is no restaurant facility attached to the motel and as such it cannot really be classed as a hotel. All reservations to the adjoining Black Iron Grill and Steakhouse had to be made via an external phone line. However that said, the Black Iron Grill was very good and we had an excellent meal there. It seemed to be popular with the locals (probably because there are limited restaurants nearby) and a reservation would probably be essential. The complimentary continental breakfast buffet in the Cafe was adequate but nothing to write home about. The plastic cutlery was annoying.

In summary, a reasonable, clean motel accommodation for the price paid, however, it could be a problem if noisy guests are in the adjoining room(s).

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tommy129
Reviewed June 4, 2008

This is a fantastic little Hotel/Motel.Although Penticton isn't much to write home about and is a bit tatty at times and we got pestered by the local beggers for money when we went for an evening stroll by the lake. The hotel made up for the town.Very clean, quiet location and right by the lake and the historic paddle steamers.The lady on the desk was very helpful and basically we counld not fault this place.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank scrapyardnow
Reviewed May 25, 2008

We had a really big room at this motel. Clean, big and nice. Good location near the beach and lake. We had a comfortable stay here.

For a first night in Canada, entering Canada through Osoyoos, this is a good place to spend a night.

The free breakfast was also very well organised.

We would defenitely consider staying here the next time we visit this area.

Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank reis08
Reviewed April 11, 2008

I checked out the reviews at tripadvisor.com prior to booking at Days Inn, and found that the reviews were largely accurate, except for one very significant detail. I was travelling with my husband and 11 year old son, so we had a room with 2 queen beds. The room was very clean, and the beds very comfortable. The walls were pretty thin, so I could hear the person in the next room snoring quite clearly. The layout was the major problem. The bathroom had no sink, mirror, and place to keep personal items (other than on the floor). To wash your hands, brush and floss your teeth, blow dry your hair, etc., you had to go into the main room itself. This was a major pain for all of us. We felt we had no privacy from each other. I couldn't dry my hair without drowning out the TV sound that my husband and son were trying to hear. For women in particular, privacy is very nice to have at certain times, and things can get a bit awkward, so do take this into account.
If you do stay there, make sure you specifically request a room that does not have this set up. I understand that they do have rooms that are not set up like this - why they gave a family of 3 one like this I do not understand, as my brother in law and wife had a room with a 'proper' set up for just the two of them (sinks and mirrors both in the bathroom itself and in the room) and still had 2 queen beds.
The continental breakfast was pretty good - it stops at 9:30 so if you like to sleep in a little you'll be out of luck. No eggs though.
I didn't check out either pool, but they both looked clean and well-maintained. My brother in law said the hot tub was clean, but very tiny.
However, considering the bathroom situation, next time I would take a chance on the Ramada.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penticton
Ramada Penticton Hotel & Suites
Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa
Coast Penticton Hotel
Coast Penticton Hotel
#7 of 43 in Penticton

Been to Days Inn & Conference Centre - Penticton? Share your experiences!