“Overrated Resort”

Penticton Lakeside Resort & Conference Centre
Ranked #8 of 43 Hotels in Penticton
Reviewed July 22, 2007

We just came back from staying at this hotel from July 18 to 21, 2007. This review is in context to having just stayed at the Best Western in Kelowna before we came down to Penticton to stay at the Lakeside. The Best Western exceeded expectations and set us up for a fall at the Lakeside Resort.

My wife and I attended this hotel with our 2 teenaged boys and 3 other family members. We prefer family-oriented hotels and we are experienced travellers.

The Lakeside hotel has a great location-right on the lake in the heart of Penticton and it has a casino that appears to draw a lot of business and money to the hotel. Unfortunately, this hotel relies entirely on those features and does not pay attention to detail. The Penticton Lakeside markets itself as the big attraction in town but is not well run or managed.

The north side rooms face the lake, and as was written in a previous review, most rooms on that side overlook a large gravel roof that is now overgrown with an ugly green/brown moss. It rained and the water sits in brown puddles on the mossy roof and it is ugly to look at. The layout of the hotel is unfortunate. The lakeview rooms on the north side of the hotel all overlook the restaurant and bar patios which are right below. People eat and drink on the outdoor patios and it is very noisy at night. You must close your patio door to be able to sleep at night. That is unfortunate since if it was quiet you could enjoy the balmy Penticton air at night. The first night we were awoken at approx 1:00 - 2:00 am by the sound of an angry drunk raging at the world with full profanity. Numerous people eventually opened their doors to yell at him to be quiet which only fuelled his fire and extended the tirade for several minutes.

The elevators never worked properly or at all in the 4 days we were there. Reading previous reviews, the elevator problem seems to go back a couple of months. The first day neither elevator was working. This was ridiculous for people checking out and all guests had to use the service elevator for the day. One elevator never worked and at best, one was working. Even the "working " elevator frequently malfunctioned and would get stuck at the 3rd floor and everyone would have to get off and call the elevator again. Most people gave up and took the stairs unless they had luggage.

We were in a non-smoking room and twice in one day my kids noticed major quantities of cigar smoke pouring into our room. I went outside both times to find a biker couple smoking on the balcony beside us. The smoke went in a ventialtion screen on balcony and entered the room although the door was closed both times. On the second smokey assault I politely asked them to stop and they did.

It rained heavily the first day and a half when we arrived and the result was a giant puddle that accumulated across the only walkway behind the hotel adjacent to the bars and restaurants. This giant puddle was there for the most part of a day and an endless number of people tried to tight-rope walk around it against a fence or tried to walk through the shallowest part of the puddle. This included many guests, particularly women, who were dressed for dinner or the casino and appeared disturbed about getting their nice shoes wet. The puddle only got cleared after I walked through it for the umpteenth time and spoke up to the restaurant employees and asked why someone did not just sweep the water off onto the beach. After my suggestion, they did clear the puddle by sweeping but I suspect they would not have even noticed or cared had I not said anything.

The hotel does cater to a lot of casino types which in the Okanagan appears to mean lots of tobacco smokers and some rowdies. There were always people lighting up cigarettes outside the buildings of the hotel. My family are all non-smokers.

We went to the casino a couple of times and found it clean and well-run, the service was good. As mentioned before, this hotel puts its best into where the money is and this is apparently not on the guests that pay for rooms.

We changed rooms on the second-to-last night as did our other family members when we decided to stay one more night since the weather had just turned good. All balconies have cobwebs between all of the bars, there were numerous cobwebs inside the rooms. We got the impression that Penticton is a growing town with a real shortage of labour to do the hotel jobs properly.

We had no fridge on arrival although our family members in another room did. We asked for a fridge and they tried to charge us until we raised the fact that there were fridges included in other rooms. The hotel is under renovation and our room had unfinished aspects such as unpainted drywall and orange cones sticking out of the walls where electrical outlets were.

Despite the numerous issues with this hotel, the people keep on coming and it was mostly full when we were there. This hotel is obviously not paying a price for their mediocrity and I expect that problems will continue.

This hotel is probably OK if you are an adult who wants to drink, smoke and gamble but I would not recommend this hotel for families.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank AGuest40

Reviewed June 3, 2007

I needed to stay in Penticton for one night and thought the Penticton Lakeside Resort would be a good choice especially since I was planning on visiting the casino. I did my research and read many negative reviews here but had to ask myself how bad could it possibly be? They gave me a decent rate so I decided to stay there for one night. Because of the constant complaints about the noise, I requested a high level. They told me a standard room is usually in the low floors but they would put the request for me anyway.

First of all, I think their website could be improved and have a more sophisticated online booking system and at least have directions on getting to the hotel (I had to mapquest it myself!). When I called to make my booking, the first time I got hung up on. The second time I called, I got a girl who simply said "yeah we do" when I asked if they had any rooms available. She didn't tell me what kind of room what I was getting, what the cancellation policy was etc etc. She didn't confirm the dates or anything back to me. I had to ask everything and when I hung up, I felt the need to call back to make sure I indeed had a reservation!

The hotel itself is indeed located in a beautiful setting, right on Okanagan Lake and the views are stunning. But the hotel itself is so old and tired...the website shows "exciting renovations underway!" but that's the extent of the details. When I was there, one of the two elevators was not available because it was under renovations. When I arrived to check in, there was no bellman to greet me, the front showed valet parking but there was no valet attendant...I had to speak to the security guard to figure out where to go park. I was surprised that I had to pay for parking in addition to the room. And while I was checking in, there were a bunch of young kids checking in as well, a number of them being loud and obnoxious in the lobby and and a few were yelling in our hallway while they were walking to their rooms.

I am happy to report that the hotel did honor my request for a high level room and I was put on the 5th floor out of 6 so I didn't hear the loud music from the bar/lounge although we had a view of the parking lot and can hear the kids loitering around the parking lot.

I definitely did not have a good experience at this hotel and it definitely does not qualify as a "first class". There was nothing classy about it at all. I would classify it as a huge motel on Okanagan Lake and I would much rather stay at a bed and breakfast next time.

Stayed: June 2007
10  Thank italybound01
Reviewed April 8, 2007

Just returned from a trip to Penticton BC. Looking online at the Penticton Lakeside Resort, the hotel is to good to be true. Of course everything looks fantastic, and elegant... BUT upon arrival to the hotel, you are greated by construction, dirt and filth. Most hotels you know where to offload to enter the hotel, this one you take your chances and Guess. Front desk said they could give us a Lakeside view for only $119.. what a deal!! YEAH RIGHT. After exiting the front desk, and making our way to the elevators, one of the elevators has the metal ripped right off the bottom of the door, the other is actually held together by duct tape!! That's right duct tape. But there is a sign stating under construction. Ok we think, not a big deal... so we enter the elevator, only to be met with the distinct smell of someone that hasn't taken a bath in probably a month... Disgusting!! Upon closing the door, the inside panel is falling off, and the elevator door actually opens before you are on the floor!! Head down the floor to our room, open it up and again met with the smell of someone that hasn't washed or bathed in about a month. Open the curtains to find out that our Lakeside view is overlooking the lower roof covered in moss above the Bar!! Really nice.... NOT!! No fridge, no microwave, the glasses are not starilized, and god knows whatelse is in the room. Complimentary coffee, and $2 extra for any more you would want. Had to call front desk at midnight to ask WHEN THE HELL the bar would be closed, they responded should quiet down about 1 or 2.... JUST GREAT!! We actually had to turn up the TV to try to over throw the bar noise. People yelling and walking and slamming doors in the hallway...just disgusting. Go to the Casino, and it's filthy dirty, smells and everyone walking around drunk trying to be sober. Ohhh and the smoking room in the glass case in the back in really nice.. NOT!! But to top everything off we left the following day, getting some money back... ohhh wooopie... we get to our car in the underground parkade thing, only to find out the front desk neglected to put our $5 ticket for the following day as well..... Just lucky we didn't get towed away. I know it sounds like alot of complaining, BUT for money that is worked hard for... at least getting a nice deal and nice place to stay isn't to much to ask. THANKS FOR NOTHING ------ Penticton Lakeside Resort... more like Penticton let's see how much money we can take from our customers and give them crap in return. JUST DISGUSTING!! Will not recommend ANYONE to stay here. We even called people before we left to tell them to NOT bother. Take extreme care before planning a trip to this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
8  Thank CCC333
Reviewed January 24, 2007

I dont live far from Penticton but stay at the Lakeside as often as I can as its my favorite hotel I have stayed in. The lake view is amazing! The club downstairs makes the trip alwayz worthwhile and I love to bring new people to this hotel. Off season prices are sooo inexpensive. Great place for a get-away.

Stayed: January 2007
1  Thank alishaocean
Reviewed September 21, 2006

Booked a suite at $245.00 a night for a week. You can actually stay at a Marriott in Manhattan for this. The room was shabby, we got charged extra for everything - a broken down microwave was charged out at $10.00 a night - wasn't informed of this at time of booking. The balconeys have rusted chipped furniture - noisy, rundown, smelly, and an overabundance of cobwebs - cleanliness needn't even be addressed - it goes without saying.
Yes, we left early & it was too late to find another room in the city so went home. The manager has still not answered my letter.
Stay at your own risk -

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
8  Thank tyclay
Reviewed August 18, 2006

The hotel was very good quality. We came in on one of the packages that the had listed, and the restaurant was pretty good, and the service was pretty good, but the breakfast items were not as good as some of the food that we had for dinner. Dinner was a good price being in the package with the amount of food that we were able to get. It is good for many different groups of people, and is good for a lot of people wanting to get away who have more money to spend, as it is not one of the cheapest places, but it is good in the fact that it offers packages.

• Stayed: January 2004, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2006

We often travel to Penticton; this was the 2nd time we stayed at this hotel but the first & last time with a view room. Our saga began shortly after we checked in (on a Thurs) and unpacked; the front desk called and asked if we would move to another floor as they were expecting a noisy group on the 2nd floor. We had booked this room 6 mos. earlier but OK we moved up to 4 still a view room. Big mistake; we did not sleep a wink that nite and called the desk a couple times about the noise and constant screaming until 3-4 in the morning. We asked to be moved to the back side; ending up moving myself but at least we were out of range of the loud music from the bar and patio area that went on everyday we were there. I can appreciate this a resort hotel, but I think it's only right to get some type of sleep while you're there.
I mentioned our whole visit was affected severely and the manager actually wanted to charge us extra for the view room that we never slept a wink in. I wrote a letter to this effect, but have not had the courtesy of a response. We will not be staying there again and have shared our experience with many other frequent traveller friends and family. For the price we paid, we at least deserved an apology for the vacation we really did not enjoy this time.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
10  Thank BlackBella
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penticton
Ramada Penticton Hotel & Suites
#29 of 43 in Penticton
Valley Star Motel
Valley Star Motel
#3 of 43 in Penticton

Been to Penticton Lakeside Resort & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!