“Overpriced "resort"”

Penticton Lakeside Resort & Conference Centre
Ranked #8 of 43 Hotels in Penticton
Reviewed September 14, 2008

Stayed at this "resort" for two weeknights earlier this month.

I felt the price of $180 per night (including tax and parking) it was grossly overpriced, but I guess you are paying for the location, which was excellent. It's at the end of Lakeshore, near shopping, restaurants and an easy walk to downtown.

With a room facing the lake, it's nice to step out onto the balcony in the morning, enjoy the sunrise and beautiful view. The downside is the noise of the music & patrons of the Barking Parrot night club during the evenings, lasting until after 2:00 am. I can't imagine what it's like in the high season.

The room itself was fairly clean. We noticed dirty finger marks on the light switchs and bathroom door. The bathtub is extremely slippery, so you have to use the Rubbermaid bathmat which is shared by previous guests. The soap bar sticks to the counter and the toilet paper was likely #3 grade sandpaper.The railing of the balcony was also covered with spiders & webs which wasn't very pleasant. There was a fridge in the dresser, which I didn't even know until I opened what I thought was a drawer!

The door to the room has an automatic closing mechanism, which causes it to slam. It was difficult to sleep with guests doors slamming all the time. The door to the balcony is extremely heavy and was a challenge to open and close.

I noticed a "no smoking" sign on the balcony as well and it seems that the hotel doesn't allow smoking anywhere on the property. It lists 3 or 4 places that you can smoke outside only. It's against the law to light up anywhere else & a $250 fine if you're caught. This isn't an issue for me, but it could be for those that smoke.

Breakfast at Magnums was very good and reasonably priced. There is a nice gift shop and I read there is a pool and fitness area as well. Parking spots were sometimes difficult to find, as I think the casino gets pretty busy.

If I need to stay in Penticton again, I would not chose this "resort".

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
5  Thank AlbertaChristiegirl

Reviewed August 12, 2008

I travel a lot and this hotel had the worst service I have ever experienced. It was shocking/laughable bad. The people working at the front desk are not willing to help with anything. They would not print an interary of the local festival for me. I was told to "go on peachfestival.ca and print it myself". They told me that borrowing an umbrella would be a $25 rental fee...only to find out through intense investigations that the women at the front desk did not know the difference between the word "rental" and "deposit". After visibly running in from out in the rain and asking the front desk to make a reservation at the restaurant next door I was told "can't you just walk over there?". I was also asking about bike rentals and one woman said to the other "what the hell is she talking about". These are only 4 of the many situations that came up. All of the woman at the front desk were insanely rude to us. Including the manager.

Room service, bellboys, casino and restaurant staff was fine. The front desk staff was rude, unwilling to help with anything at all and last but not least, terribly unintellgent.

The costumer service in Penticton was sub par at best. Although the staff at the wineries were devine. Just don't stay at Lakeside!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank madameR
Reviewed August 12, 2008

We stayed here for three nights in August. I've stayed at hotels all over the world and never have I been treated so poorly by hotel staff. For a town that is geared toward tourism, most of the service we experienced at the hotel and restaurants around Penticton was stunningly bad.

When we asked the front desk to help us book dinner reservations (at their on site restaurant) their response was "are you sure you don't want to walk over there yourself" (this was during a hail storm) Another time, we asked to borrow an umbrella, we were told there was a $25 "rental" fee (which turned into a deposit because she didn't know the difference between "deposit" and "rental") There are several more instances but they are too numerous to mention!

The hotel is in a central location and the rooms are decent. However, be warned that the service is really bad.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sunshine_Reggae
Reviewed July 22, 2008

After reading several negative reviews on this site for the Lakeside Resort I was hesitant to book our stay there, but I realized that many people simply like to complain so decided to try it out anyways as it seemed to be the most convenient location.

We spent Saturday, Sunday & Monday at the Lakeside resort and were extremely impressed with the level of service of both the hotel and associated restaurant staff. The hotel was full, but we did not have to wait at all for service upon arrival or departure and although the restaurants and pubs were packed, service was prompt, friendly and professional.

The hotel contains a casino and outdoor bar patio, and there is alot of action on the shore directly in front of the propery, so this is not where you should stay if you are looking for a serene lakeside holiday. The property was quite calm and quiet in the mornings, but by mid afternoon there is live entertainment on the patio as well as boats and sea doos zipping in and out of the docks. Our room faced the lake and we found it quite noisy in the evenings if the patio door was open, however as soon as it was closed you couldn't hear a thing.

The Lakeside Resort was extremely convenient as there are 3 restaurants to chose from on the property as well as a private beach and boat rental shop. We booked a wine tour with Cat Tours through the hotel and had a great time with our tour guide Dennis, who was very knowledgeable about the wineries and surrounding areas.

I would definately recommend this hotel for all other than perhaps couples over 50 who are looking for tranquility... which may be easier found outside of Penticton.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RNVancouver
Reviewed July 7, 2008

Just came back from a 2 night stay where we used this hotel as a base for a little wine tasting tour. The location was great for this and also for being close to everything in the town was nice that you didnt have to drive once you were back at the hotel. The downton eateries are within a 5 block walk. The hotel restaurant were fine as well and we had a very nice meal at to Hooded Marganser one night which overlooks the lake.

The rooms as recently renovated and are very nice and will rival most higher end hotel chains, HOWEVER, unless you are into the night club scene until 2 AM, then you better request a room with a city view rather than the lakeview or else you will be awake until they shut the night club down. It is very loud when all the partiers are out on the lakeside patio. We had to sleep with our tv on to drown out the noise.

All in all I would stay there again but only on the quiet side of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank kevincognito
Reviewed May 20, 2008

Biggest problem with the Lakeside Inn has always been the noise - with a casino & lakeside outdoor party patio on one end of the hotel and a restaurant/bar on the lake in front, this place rocks at full volume till the early hours every fine weekend night in summer.

And that's before the owners cram in as many noisy grad & wedding parties as possible to fill the rooms.

So if you book a lakeview room and don't want to party all night - bring industrial strength earplugs!

Only hotel I know where the windows facing the lake all have signs saying "to minimise noise keep windows closed".

We were there for a convention two weeks ago and mercifully it rained Saturday night which kept the noise down - but this is in the Okanagan which is semi desert, so it doesn't often rain in summer and we've been there before when even earplugs weren't enough to let you sleep.

Rooms have been renovated and are very nice, but food was terrible [very overcooked beef & greasy breakfasts] and dishes & cutlery were dirty - when was the last time the first three orange juice glases you picked up all had bits of orange & lipstick stains?

If you want to use the health club there's an extra charge if they're busy [be warned, the equipment is so old & worn it really isn't worth it] , and you have to buy bottled water because the hotel doesn't provide it - and remember it gets seriously hot here in summer...

Stayed there only because we had to be at the convention - wouldn't for any other reason. If you want to stay somewhere nice in the Okanagan try the Grande Okanagan up in Kelowna - much better hotel and a good airport to fly into.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank sewaterman
Reviewed February 21, 2008

I stayed at this hotel over the Canada Day long weekend last summer as I was attending a wedding that was taking place at the Resort and it was convenient. What a mistake. I expected a certain amount of chaos given the time of year it was but I had no idea what we'd signed up for.

There were apparently 2 grad parties and 3 weddings at the resort that weekend. Knowing this, you would think the resort would put on a few extra staff to accommodate all the over-paying guests. But no. We had to wait over an hour to check in and almost an hour and a half to check out. It took us well over an hour and a half to get food at the restaurant, if we were lucky, any time we tried to eat there and when we finally got the food, it was mediocre at best. There were minimal staff on and the staff that were there were trying but were untrained and unable to manage the workload.

The rooms were sub-par, with large sections of unpainted exposed plywood, a broken closet door, beat up furniture, etc. One elevator was out of service and the one that was working had panels ripped off of it and stopped working sporadically throughout the weekend, leaving us to search around for the stairway only to find it littered with construction debris.

As well, the power went out in our room for almost a full day and no one seemed to care. We kept calling the front desk and the woman kept being surprised that no one had come to look at it yet. We were there for a wedding and since there was no light in the bathroom, we couldn't shower for the wedding and had to do our hair out in the hallway where we found an outlet that was working.

I suspect the power outage had something to do with the renovations that were underway but, as someone else mentioned in another review, why on earth would they undertake renovations in the middle of their high season!?

The hotel was also outrageously noisy. I guess if they're filling their hotel up with graduating high-school students, you can't expect much more than that, with yelling and screaming in the hallways, in the parking lot and on the outdoor patios until all hours with no apparent interest in minimizing the noise by hotel management. Basically, you're paying for a place to put your suitcase but don't expect to get any sleep there.

Overall, it was an awful experience and I felt robbed at the end when we had to pay the bill. I did complain upon checkout and the woman was very apologetic but said they were understaffed and overbooked. They did remove the parking and internet charges from our bill but that didn't go far enough to make up for the miserable stay.

Unfortunately, I have another wedding to go to at the Resort this summer so I'm going to have to give it another try. Fingers crossed that they've gotten it together a bit better by now but I don't have high hopes. This is the last chance I'll give this hotel. If I have a similar experience this summer, I will not be giving them any future business of mine. If you're considering staying here, think twice!!!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank ChicaPlaya
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penticton
Ramada Penticton Hotel & Suites
#29 of 43 in Penticton
Valley Star Motel
Valley Star Motel
#3 of 43 in Penticton

Been to Penticton Lakeside Resort & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!