All reviewsdenny's restaurantlots of parkingsmall fridgean upgradeokanagan lakecourtyard
Reviewed October 21, 2010

This is a nice clean hotel with lots of parking, a Denny's and a pool. I had a king room with a pillow-top bed and a flat screen TV. I noticed that not all rooms had the flat screen TV but I asked the Manager and he said that all rooms do have the pillow-top beds. They have some nice extras like a free coffee and tea service on the 3rd floor and in the lobby. They also have a brand new bar right in the lobby, it has great food and drinks and the inside is very modern. The staff we so nice that I will stay here again. Thanks!!

1  Thank Moomba15
Reviewed October 13, 2010

I am currently staying at the Sandman in Penticton. The hotel is rundown with the hallway carpets making a poor first impression. They are old and worn and
give the immediate impression of staying in a dive motel. For some reason my hallway is always freezing and the carpet in the lounge area has not been vacuumed in the past two days. The beds are hard as a rock and I fear there may be bed bugs but i have not seen any yet. I will definitely pay a few more bucks and stay at a nicer hotel for next year's trade show.

Reviewed October 4, 2010

So, after a nine hour trip I arrived at the Sandman Inn Penticton. Check in was professional & casual. The lobby is very nice. The hallways maintained. Also the large parking lot is well maintained. Denny's is attached to the hotel. I enjoy the Sandman because they are attentive to the guests. This morning while I am checking out I will be booking 7 nights for myself at the end of this month. So readers, do not avoid this hotel. "well done Sandman"

Reviewed September 24, 2010

The other reviewers are spot on, this place has problems. I've had great experiences with the Sandman group before but the Penticton one is not recommended. The "fun" started from the moment I called their agent to reserve a room. Online it showed lower priced rooms were available. According to the agent, because the weekend I was staying they had few rooms available this pushed the room prices up... and he could not offer me the rate that the Sandman hotel site itself was offering me. I ended up booking the room online and there was no problem with getting that room rate. How cheeky to try to overcharge people phoning in to make a reservation. Basically all the other hotels recommended on trip advisor were booked so I had no other choice. On top of this, in this day and age when there is a global recession they had the audacity to charge me for local phone calls at .50 per call. Thankfully Rogers doesn't charge me extra for using my cell for local phone calls. If you have allergies avoid this hotel altogether, not only do they allow pets in the hotel but it was quite clear some guests were smoking in rooms. The windows are teeny tiny, not sure why some hotels hate letting guests get fresh air. The hotel itself is OLD. Minor renovations, but it looks dated. Weak air conditioner that was too noisy. The front lobby doors do NOT have automatic doors so you have to juggle your luggage while trying to open the door. 4pm check-in time but the front reception lady casually said oh you could have checked in earlier... Typical grubby bedspread covers the beds. Denny's is located in the hotel and provides room service but charges you extra... what's the point? What are the good things I can say about this place? I had a small kitchenette and at least dishes etc. were provided. The room service staff were friendly and put up with my extra requests graciously. The only part I loved about the hotel was the shower. It's like being under a tsunami, it was a powerful stream of water and lots of it. Not sure where I can buy a shower like that it was amazing and it was soothing and massaging too. It was also a bit scary because it felt like you could drown the stream of water was that strong, so if you have little kids supervise their shower for sure. In conclusion it has the sandman brand but falls short of other sandman hotels. Dated building that should be torn down and rebuilt but they are greedy so they won't. Far too overpriced for what you get, stay at one of the other hotels ranked higher on tripadvisor. On top of that they nickle and dime you.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 3, 2010

We found a bedbug in our room the second night we stayed there. The mistake that we made was putting it in a vial and bringing it down to the lobby to show the staff-but I digress. The staff was very apologetic and moved us to another room on the opposite side of the hotel, different floor. I walked in the bathroom and stepped on a bedbug. Needless to say we left the hotel. The next day, we went back to try and get a refund. 12 hours AFTER we left, Orkin inspected the rooms and saw "no evidence of bed bug activity." And the vial with the bug in it was apparently lost. The manager insisted that it was not a bedbug because it had antennas (bedbugs do have antennae), but I've seen hundreds of bedbugs, so no dice there. They refuse to provide us with a refund, and when we tried to disagree, threatened to call the police to escort us off the property. STAY AWAY, don't end up $500 short like we did because you refuse to sleep with bedbugs.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Miette222
SANDMANPENTICTON, Manager at Sandman Hotel Penticton, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and concerns on TripAdvisor. As you had mentioned, our hotel does employ an independent pest control company to monitor and prevent any and all insect occurrences at the hotel, including bed bugs. Thankfully we have not had any problems with bed bugs at our property and indeed, after receiving your comments we immediately contacted our pest control company to inspect your rooms. That inspection resulted in a negative for the presence of bed bugs in both rooms.