All reviewsdenny's restaurantlots of parkingsmall fridgean upgradeokanagan lakecourtyard
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This review is to replace one I wrote after an unfortunate and smelly upstairs-bathroom-flooding event, which the general manager assured me was water from a bathtub, that happened on our first stay. He later phoned me to make things right (originally the clerk offered a small discount on a smoking room, which was the only room left in the entire city due to it being the night before the Ironman Triathlon, but that room was unacceptable because of the smoke smell, so we left), and so after all that, we were given a certificate for a stay in an upgraded room on the top floor. The second stay is the one I'm reviewing, since a careless guest wasn't something that could have been prevented.

Though the lobby area is modern, spacious, and posh, the rest of the hotel is, well, old; so the rooms are small and the hallways are narrow and dim, with old carpet. To get to some of the rooms is like finding your way through a maze; we had to go up an elevator, into a little cubby, through a door to the exercise room, through another door, and around a corner to get to our room.

The upgraded room we stayed in had light-colored wallpaper and multiple light fixtures on the ceiling, so it seemed well lit. And the decor was black-and-white and modern looking.

The window overlooked the atrium and the pool, but since it also had a clear view into the rooms across the atrium (and the guests in those rooms had the same view into our room), we had to keep the curtains closed; good thing the curtains were attractive. It was very quiet (it was also a Sunday night in September).

The room had a king bed (I couldn't find any mention of king beds on the website, so if you want one, you'll probably need to call the hotel) and a small fridge. There were terrycloth robes as well as slightly fancier shampoo than usual (it smelled minty instead of generic).

We were given a certificate for a free appetizer with the purchase of a drink at the hotel's bar. The waitress/bartender was apologetic about the free appy being "just some fries and a couple chicken wings," and I have to agree that seemed kind of disappointing (and the wings didn't seem to have any seasoning). The eighties music was nice, since we're from the eighties. I watched the bartender mix the drinks, and she measured everything just fine, but both my husband and I thought they seemed nonalcoholic.

The clerk encouraged us to park our motorcycles right up under the canopy by the lobby door so the staff could keep an eye on them and weirdos wouldn't try to sit on them (her words).

Room Tip: If you want to be able to leave your curtains open while you're in your room, ask for a room that doesn't overlook the atrium. If you can, book your room for a time that's not busy because the rates can vary a lot.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
GraemeJenkins, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Penticton, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am pleased we had the opportunity to invite you back and you enjoyed your stay. We certainly value your feedback and appreciate your comments. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Kind regards

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Rooms run down - yucky douvet, countertops chipping etc

Service:
-In 2 nights room was never once cleaned/towels replaced/beds made etc (despite being put on floor as instructed) - made sure the do not disturb sign was not up.
-Room service plates were left out by someone on the floor and no one came to collect them the whole time we were there... I dont think anyone came to our whole floor all weekend.
-Rooms that face the in door pool do not have windows that can open - gets very stuffy and muggy if you dont have AC on, but gets really dry if you have AC on (open window usually helps with this).

Hot tub was horrific - bubbling with floaties - off coloured - when we were sitting on the edge with our feet in the floaties in the tub gathered on our legs and suits to the point of it looking like vomit was on us!

Good location - walkable to the Okanagan beach BUT so are half the other hotels in town. For this price you can find better places in town!

Denny's is attached so no breakfast included, they just expect you to go to Denny's (good if you dont normally eat at your hotel)

Room Tip: Make sure room is not surrounding the pool - get a room with a window that can open.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ajm4
GraemeJenkins, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Penticton, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear of your disappointing and unacceptable experiences during your recent stay. Housekeeping ensures all rooms are cleaned daily and the room service items are removed from the hallways as soon as they are placed outside the guest rooms. We follow strict guidelines in regards to daily pool and hot tub cleaning outlined by interior health and take pride in the hygiene levels of our public pools. I would like to opportunity to address this first hand and personally follow up on your comments. I would need to identify the room you were in so I can address these shortfalls with our management team. I would kindly ask you to contact me at your convenience.
250.493.7151
gm_penticton@sandman.ca
Look forward to hearing from you.
kind regards

Reviewed September 2, 2013

the room was tiny no nightstand or light on one side of the bed. They charge for local calls archaic . There was no refrigerator to keep my medicine cold. The air conditioning was so noisy I had to keep turning the TV up and down and it made it difficult to sleep. There was no way to get fresh air in our room. Very stuffy Although we had used the toiletries they were not replaced on the 2 day of our 3 night stay . They were lower end toiletries . the built in shampoo / conditioner left my hair very tangled. I did not like that the blow dryer was affixed to an awkward place . In order to sit and do my hair had to keep getting up if my husband needed to pass. For the money there are better places. The front desk was not friendly when asked where the exercise room was. I was told 3rd floor but not where a outs up there. Not friendly I was sad that we were stuck there for 3 nights. It has been the first hotel in a long time I could to wait to check out of. If this is how Sandman hotels are I would not stay at any of the based on my own personal experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
GraemeJenkins, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Penticton, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear of your disappointing experience during your recent stay. This is certainly not the standard we strive for and it sounds like we fell short in many areas. We do have many rooms available with fridges and outside windows that open. We also offer an upgraded line of amenities and hairdryers that are not fixed to the wall. I would certainly like the opportunity to speak with you first hand and regain your confidence in Sandman Hotels. Please contact me at your convenience and allow me the pleasure of making this right. Once again my apologies and I look forward to hearing from you.
Kind Regards
250.493.7151
gm_penticton@sandman.ca

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Was a last minute booking as we decided to stay an extra day during our vacation. Decided not to stay at Days INN read the review. Nice clean room well situated. Staff was nice had no problems what so ever would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
GraemeJenkins, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Penticton, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the friendly staff and clean room. Thank you for choosing us and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We were fortunate to find a place to stay over the busy Peach Fest weekend!! With two days notice we found the room ( someone had cancelled) !
We received a booking confirmation, but this did not include good direction to the Hotel. We got quite turned around once we arrived in Penticton as the streets of the town were confusing. ( one ways and streets not running parallel to anything!)
Once we arrived at the Sandman, the staff were helpful and courteous. Our room was clean and the bed very comfortable. The pool area under the inside Atrium was awesome- but the air very hot and uncomfortable!! Perhaps, the outside temperature in the mid 30's had something to do with this?
We attended lakeside activities one night and walked back to the hotel approaching from the rear. There is a security fence around the back parking area making the hotel inaccessible without walking quite a distance to get around to the front of the hotel. It would be great if the fence had a keyed or password gate.
The lobby offered coffee and apples one morning of our stay. On our second day, the counters and coffee table in our room were not wiped by housekeeping, retaining the coffee rings and food grease from the previous nights dinner. Nothing that a facecloth couldn't take care of.......

Room Tip: Book early during the summer months , especially for Peach Fest celebrations!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
GraemeJenkins, General Manager at Sandman Hotel Penticton, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the helpful and courteous staff, clean room and comfortable bed. We value your feedback and constructive comments. On behalf of all of us at the Sandman Penticton we look forward to seeing you again.