“Not Your Typical Hotel - Has An Interesting "Je Ne C'est.." To It”

Best Western Inn at Penticton
Ranked #2 of 44 Hotels in Penticton
Niagara falls
“Not Your Typical Hotel - Has An Interesting "Je Ne C'est.." To It”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2009

I stayed for one night on business at the BW Penticton, due to the fact that my usual hotels of choice (the Lakeside and Ramada) where booked. After reading the reviews, I was unsure, but the hotel is actually kind of neat for a traveller that is used to seeing the same type of hotel night after night.

I was given a room on the upper floor in the middle of the "U" with a view of the courtyard. The hotel was peaceful, and reminded me of places I went to as a child in the 70's and 80's. The rooms are not typical, with two doors for either the back or front balcony.

My room included a microwave, fridge, coffee maker, free Wi-Fi (which was really high-speed), and was VERY clean for a hotel of this vintage.

The staff was friendly, and I found the rooms to be quiet compared to most hotels.

I ate out at a restaurant, but several guests were using the complimentary BBQ's to cook there own food.

The continental breakfast was OK/Average - as another reviewer mentioned, the orange juice was very watered down - which was the only negative during my stay. Others complained about the breakfast room being messy, but it was cleaned continually by a hostess.

The hotel is more of a family vacation spot, but I found it great for a business traveller, and would stay here again (over the Ramada and Lakefront for sure!).

I found the place very neat, different, and to my liking do to the charm it provided - it may not be everyone's cup of tea if you like a sterile modern hotel, but it's a very nice change of pace, and I was VERY HAPPY with the entire experience!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Vancouver
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2009

We booked a 2 bedroom suite for us and our 2 children (8 and 13). We liked the set-up of our ground level room, with one door opening on the parking lot and another one opening on the yard, in front of the swimming pool. But the suite was quite small for the price we paid, and the overall quality of the room & hotel didn't feel up to par with Best Western standards. The room wasn't dirty per se: it just felt like it needed a serious updating. And our daughter caught head lice at the hotel: what a nightmare! Breakfast was included (same food every day, with awful watered down juice), but people had to put their paper plates in the garbage themselves as there was no staff to clean the tables and serve the customers, which left the place quite messy. The eating area on the balcony was dirty and we often had to eat next to a storage area with discarded tables and broken chairs. I must admit that the staff was friendly. When we go back to Penticton, we will stay somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank ShawnieVancouver
Vancouver, B.C.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2009

We stayed at the Best Western Penticton for two nights as part of a sports team group. We had a one-room suite and paid C$171 per night (C$197 with taxes). That in itself felt a little odd having just stayed at a 4-star hotel/casino in Las Vegas for an average of well under C$100 per night.

Check-in was speedy and we were able to get our room well before their stated check-in time. All staff were quite friendly.

The motel is horseshoe-shaped. Each room has two “front doors” (i.e., one on the inside of the horseshoe and one on the outside). The inside of the horseshoe contains an outdoor pool, grassy playground area and barbeque/picnic area. There is also an indoor pool and hot tub. They normally show “family” movies on a big screen at night in the playground area, but it was cold and rainy when we were there, so the movies were cancelled.

The room was comfortable, but basic. There was a basic TV in each room (i.e., one in the main room and one in the bedroom). Our room had a kitchenette (everything except a dishwasher). While the property had many amenities and was generally clean, it still had a bit of a feel to it as if it was being maintained to the minimum.

The hotel does provide free wireless internet access. Since it is one of my pet peeves (hotels that charge a hefty room rate, then try to gouge you with an extra internet access fee), I felt it was only fair to point it out.

The Best Western includes breakfast as part of their standard room rates. Based on other “free” hotel breakfasts I’ve had, I’d rate this one no better than average (in fact, since I’ve had some remarkable “free” hotel breakfasts, I think I’d have to rate theirs as below average). It included cereal, oatmeal, bread, bagels, yoghurt, (cold) hard-boiled eggs, a small selection of muffins and fruit and a make-your-own waffle station, which was always busy. It did not include any standard hot-food breakfast items.

We have stayed in Penticton many times, usually camping and a few times at the Black Sea Motel at the north end of the city. Penticton is a major vacation destination for Vancouverites, which is why the summer rates are so high for properties that can be average at best. I would stay at the Best Western again, but I would certainly look around for better rates or for upgraded properties at the same rate.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Nelson, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2009

We ended up staying 2 nights here when we had only initially booked 1. The hotel and the city of Penticton were great. The staff on the front desk were very friendly and helpful. Our room was nice and we thought it was good value. The continental breakfast was probably the best of the hotels we stayed in while on our 3 week holiday. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2008

We were very happy with the spacious room with a king-sized bed. It seemed to have been recently redecorated and everything was clean and sparkling. The window looked over the courtyard and pool. Although the room was non-smoking, there was a table and chairs outside with an ashtray for my husband.
The continental breakfast was adequate, included (cold) boiled eggs, cereals, coffee, juice.
All staff were very pleasant and cooperative, especially the cleaner who waited patiently for us to book out at 11:00.

• Liked — large, clean room
  • Disliked — breakfast up stair--I am handicapped
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Vancouver, B.C.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2008

Two friends and myself recently stayed at the Best Western in Penticton in order to do the KVR Bike Trail (highly recommended). Upon arrival my friends were shown to a room with two double beds with one window onto a dark hallway. The room was very dark and unwelcoming. My friends went to the front desk to request another room - a rather unhelpful and grumpy woman just told them that they "must have not requested a view" and did not offer any alternatives. When they pressed the situation they were shown an equally unattractive room and were met with rudeness.

On the other hand, my room looked out onto the courtyard overlooking the pool and children's playground and was quite lovely. However, the room had a smell of mold and smoke (it was a non-smoking room). Because the room was very nice I managed to get over this.

After the bike ride the next day, my friends were met by a new front desk clerk, named Kelly, who was very helpful and kind and informed them that a nice room on the courtyard had opened up and asked them if they would like it. They had been holding it for them all day. My friends were very happy and enjoyed their new room.

• Liked — Great courtyard, pool, bar-b-q, and central location.
  • Disliked — Unhelpful front desk upon arrival.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2008

Nice hotel for a nice rate. Fairly clean, they didn't vaccum our room. Rooms are really nice and modern. Location is a ways out of downtown but near Skaha Lake.

Stayed March 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Penticton
Ramada Penticton Hotel & Suites
Super 8 Penticton BC
Super 8 Penticton BC
#10 of 44 in Penticton
Summerland Waterfront Resort & Spa

Been to Best Western Inn at Penticton? Share your experiences!