“We have an addiction to ..... WALLA’s FOOD!!”

Walla Artisan Bakery & Cafe
Ranked #25 of 195 Restaurants in Penticton
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: We are a unique artisan bakery and bistro located in the center of Penticton, serving delicious, rustic dishes for brunch and lunch, all made from scratch with natural ingredients. Our breads and buns are fermented for 3 days and made without any additives. We also have a variety of artisan foods to take home, and from May to October you can find us every Saturday at the local downtown market on Front St.
Naramata, Canada
“We have an addiction to ..... WALLA’s FOOD!!”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Once a week we go to WALLA Artisan Bakery & Cafe and spend time buying different kinds of breads. We cannot last a week without these delicious breads and pastries!! We have been a customer for many years, serving the bread at our high-end Bed & Breakfast/Guest House, and the guests always ask us where to find the bread we served (like the Brioche for our French Toast etc. ). Even when we go on a holiday we always take some bread from Walla with us for the first day. Benjamin is a master, his lunches are delicious and also very healthy.
Everything he makes is full of flavor. We love his Bourekas, his soups and quiches, the spicy pickles, the Pastrami sandwich, pain au chocolate, cheese Danish, Spanish frittata, and the focaccia buns are to die for.

My husband and I cannot recommend this place enough. Take plenty of time if you go for lunch because it is not a fast food bakery & cafe!

• Visited May 2014
5 Thank BandBUNIQUE

Kelowna, Canada
“== no gluten-free, no lunch ==”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

Some previous posts are hard to believe.

I arrived today around 1:30. A somewhat embarrassed owner told me he quit making gluten-free bread (highly-touted in previous posts).

And doesn't serve lunch until June 3 . . .

He offered me a free bun so I wouldn't go hungry, nice gesture. He looks like he really cares. But this is not a restaurant; it's a little bakery that serves some food.

• Visited May 2014
7 Thank FlyingDutchman_12
Ben M, Owner at Walla Artisan Bakery & Cafe, responded to this review, May 25, 2014
How the previous posters could claim their enjoyment of the food, service and ambiance at this establishment is beyond my imagination. 'Yes, some previous posts are hard to believe.' It must be a conspiracy on a grand scale.
'But this is not a restaurant; it's a little bakery that serves some food.' Which also happens to spread across 1,300 sf. of production floor, not including the front shop and the café: equipped with five ovens, two stoves, two induction cook tops, a smoker, five pastry and dough mixers, a bagel machine, etc.; this ‘little’ bakery serves a four-hour slow-cooked Osso Bucco (where the meat literally falls off the bone), gently nestled on a cloud of polenta and sprinkled with freshly prepared Gremolata; a charcouterie platter with house-cured Pancetta and Bresaola served alongside a selection of house-made pickles; a five-hour Sous-Vide, medium-rare marbled rib eye steak cooked to perfection and finished on the grill; an eight-hour Mesquite-smoked, grass-fed brisket, slowly cooked overnight and turned into a juicy, succulent Pastrami served with a house-made, powerful, sinus-clearing horseradish on the artisan bread of the day; and desserts including scrumptious Tiramisu cake made with house-baked lady fingers and house full-fat Ricotta cheese, or a refreshing serving of house-made fruit, vanilla or rich chocolate gelato.
It also makes sense to demand gluten-free bread for 'my seriously celiac wife’ in a bakery that uses mostly wheat, because I can assume that there won’t be any chance of cross-contamination. . .
As for this fellow who kindly greeted me at his little store and explained the reason behind his decision not to bake gluten-free loaves and why he would deny me a meal, while apologizing and sending me away with a freshly-baked rosemary focaccia bun “so you won’t leave hungry”- he said; well. . .he must be the ring leader in this whole con operation meant to deceive unsuspecting, decent customers, and he must therefore be rewarded with a negative review. . .
Burnaby, Canada
“Best pastrami and homemade food”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Stopped by based on all the positive reviews here. Was not disappointed. I had the pastrami sandwich which is smoked by the chef and it was the most delicious pastrami ever. The portion was large as well so worth the $13. Also on the plate homemade pickles, homemade sauerkraut, and other compliments for the sandwich. It was amazing. The small family restaurant also had great service and was in a cute bistro style room. Will return when I visit the area.

• Visited April 2014
4 Thank Frugalkittie415
Penticton
“An experience to remember”
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

On a cold January Saturday morning, my wife and two sons were told by Penticton Honda that the warranty work they said we needed meant we had to walk from their dealership to a local restaurant (no shuttles or courtesy cars available for people on warranty work on a Saturday). As we headed out the hail started, then the rain. We ran for the cover of the cannery building. Soaking wet, we sought out an open cafe. The door of the bakery were open so we peered in. The owner welcomed us and explained he wasn't open, however, taking a look at our state, he asked us in to have a seat. We had four different danishes, excellent coffee, and he brought out semi-molten chocolate for our boys to dunk their pastries in. It was a heart-warming escape from the mundane Tim Horton's rut we tend to spin our wheels in.

Visited January 2014
6 Thank rydersdad
Penticton, Canada
“Walla at home (in Seattle)”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I moved away from Penticton in September and knew that I would be missing this place terribly (and my friends of course), however, I was not prepared in how much. I live in Seattle and though there are loads of restaurants and places, no one makes bread the way Ben does at Walla. Thankfully, the owner and his wife are amazing! They are willing to ship or deliver (part way or all the way) their goods. I just came back from Vancouver, WA (yes I drove there from Seattle) to meet Ben's wife to pick up my Walla food order.

This morning, I woke up and put pain au chocolat, cheese danish, Spanish frittata, and focaccia buns in the oven. Breakfast was heaven. Four of us enjoyed these goodies and they smelled/tasted as though just baked. Unbelievable! I mean I could go into describing the perfect texture of the pastries and their buttery/crispy, melt in your mouth goodness but I wouldn't want to make the reader salivate at simple words. Instead, I encourage to go and have that experience at Walla if you can (or take it home).

I cannot recommend this place enough. I was diagnosed with Celiac when I moved to Canada (and lived here for a while). It took me years to discover a bakery that makes bread the old way (slow fermentation, attention to ingredients, lots of love and passion). I can eat this bread and I have no reactions. This is the kind of bread my grandma made in Europe. Now that I have moved, it feels again like searching for a needle in the haystack. I am really thankful that I can still order from Walla.

Thank you Ben and Sharon for all that you do! I will be placing orders regularly. As for right now, off I go to put a focaccia pizza in the oven so I can dazzle more people with your wonderful food!

• Visited November 2013