“Not as Good as it Was!”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Kelowna, Canada
“Not as Good as it Was!”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Very disappointing! I ate at this restaurant a few times last summer, for both lunch and dinner, after i heard there were new owners and a new chef. Although I found the server to be a bit annoying and pushy trying to make us purchase his recommended wines that we did not want, I have gone back because I loved the food. I even recommended this place to my family and friends. I have been out of the Okanagan area for a while and recently returned and decided to visit Amante a couple of weeks ago. The food was not up to par and no where near as good as it was last summer. I was very disappointed and thought to myself "there goes another restaurant down the drain". And the same irritating server was still there. I later found out from some people that the server is actually the owner and that the chef that was there last year is no longer there. It seems like they are trying to replicate what the old chef did but are failing at it. I also don't like restaurants where the owner is the staff. In my mind it means that either the owner is a control freak who doesn't trust anyone else or is too cheap to hire staff. I doubt I will be going back.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank KelChick_12

Penticton, British Columbia, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A spectacular dining experience.”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

The food at the Amante was incredible, I have never had such a warm and welcoming server in my entire life. Not only was he knowledgable about the food being served he provided some new and interesting insight to other culinary delights. He was incredibly friendly and polite. The best service I have had ever. Now, for the food. We started out with the crab cakes which were light and succulent, my girlfriend who is extremely picky and had never had seafood before thoroughly enjoyed it as did I. She had the Pear and Brie flatbread which was a nice light dish for such a warm summer day. The red wine reduction was perfect and complimented the dish quite well. I tried their wild game of the day which was elk. I eat a lot of game as my grandpa is an avid hunter but this was the best elk meat I have ever eaten, the spices and the jus were perfect and the vegetables really complimented the meat. Needless to say I would dine here again, and again, and again. Thanks to the staff for creating a lovely night for me and my girl.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Shereen L
Penticton, Canada
“A Classy Surprise”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

After some time of putting it off, we finally visited Amante in Penticton.

The restaurant is very small but still manages to feel rather spacious. The decor is fairly simple but elegant.

They offer a tapas menu and a regular menu. After a bit of debate, we each ordered a different entree. Complimentary bread was brought out, warm and steaming (although the butter was cold, the bread was warm enough to melt it... eventually!). When the meals arrived, they were plated attractively, the portions were good and the food itself was prepared perfectly for each of us and arrived with little delay.

Our server was very pleasant, polite, and knowledgeable.

Overall, I have no complaints about the experience and found everything handled marvelously. It's a lovely little restaurant that would feel right at home in Vancouver.

Amante will certainly be on our 'special occasion' dining list from now on!

• Visited March 2012
2 Thank help_im_a_bug
Vancouver
“Best Food in Penticton”
Reviewed March 9, 2012

My partner and I are in Penticton often because his family is here, but coming from Vancouver we are always disappointed in the lack of quality restaurants right in the town. Yes, you can go to the wineries and get a good meal but in the town, it is pretty slim pickings. Boston Pizza or Earls are not great choices.
We discovered Amante in January this year and had a great lunch. We returned there last night and had an exceptionally good meal. The two fellows who run the place, one handles the front of house and the other in the kitchen, have a great routine going on. They have taken on this place recently (maybe about four months ago) so if you are reading former reviews online, this is a whole new place.
There are two menus, one with tapas and small plates, and the main menu has lots of choice and it is exceptionally well prepared. On this visit we took my partner's father who lives in town and is always looking for good food in his town.
We started with Pear and Brie flat-bread which comes with a drizzle of balsamic glaze, and is a nice share starter. We then all had a small bowl of a very light and flavourful lobster bisque (the normal size was a large bowl but they accommodated us with a smaller cup). We then shared a really good wild mushroom risotto, freshly shaved Parmesan on top, a really a nice plate. Finally our main courses, dad had sockeye salmon topped with prawns and served with lobster mashed potatoes. My partner and I had the feature of the evening, surf and turf, a perfectly cooked New York Strip, topped with a nicely presented lobster tail, all on top of a heavenly bed of lobster mashed potatoes and done with a beurre blanc sauce. It was a really good meal.
This place would fare well in any larger city. The wine list is very good and not over the top in price, keeping local Okanagan wineries at the top of the list. On this visit we were introduced to a Gerhingher Bros Pinot Noir which had just won a bunch of awards. We were enthralled with this recommendation and will certainly try to source out a case for our own cellar.
I write this review because I want this place to remain successful and in business...small town restaurants often struggle because they simply don't get the traffic they deserve. This one is a gem.

• Visited March 2012
6 Thank Piperbear
Penticton, Canada
“Wonderful food and excellent service”
Reviewed February 27, 2012

I had the pleasure of having lunch recently with friends at Amante's. We found the server to be very experienced, extremely pleasant and attentive without hovering over us.The fish chowder that was served with my panini was increditble, as was salad and panini itself; My friends were also impressed with their lunches. With the new owners the food is still wonderful and think the service is even better now. Enjoy!

• Visited February 2012