New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Apple Tree Inn

Apple Tree Inn
Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Penticton
Edmonton
“Good, basic accommodation in Penticton”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

Stayed at the Apple Tree Inn with my wife, my son and his friend for 5 days. This motel is like many in Penticton, run by the owners and not part of any chain. It's one of the things I like about Penticton, it still feels personal and a bit "old-timey", not like Kelowna that is brash, corporate and impersonal.
We had a room that had two separate beds in a bedroom, and a queen bed in the front section. The rooms worked perfectly for us, as the boys took over the bedroom and my wife and I stayed in the front. It was the major reason for us staying here, as finding a room that the boys didn't have to sleep in the same bed (icky, they said) was the biggest factor. The beds were clean, comfortable, and we all slept well.
The motel room itself was just what we were expecting, a little dated but clean and practical. The kitchenette worked great, with a new fridge and microwave, and a very clean gas range. The bathroom was clean, and had lots of space. The kitchen also had a round table with 4 chairs.
We did all our cooking outside on one of the three supplied gas bbq's, in a beautiful grassed area in the middle of the complex. The pool was a hit with the boys, and I noticed that the water (and area around it) was kept spotless. One of my pet peeves is a dirty pool, but this one had no issues. It also had a real "deep" end, going to 8 feet. People with small children need to keep them in sight at all times!
Parking is right outside the door, but for people with larger vehicles this could be a challenge as the room is tight. The people next to us with a truck just parked in the visitor area, and it saved them and all of us around them grief. There was a real mix of people in the place, many with young families, but also some seniors and young couples. Everyone basically kept to themselves, and the place was very quiet at night. This is not a place for partiers to hang around the rooms. The owners kept an eye on all the coming and goings, and while friendly, were not ones for a lot of chit-chat.
Overall, we enjoyed our time there, as we had done our homework and knew what to expect. Clean, but dated rooms in a good location with rooms that worked for us. The things we would change are really minor. The bathrooms need some sort of shelf unit. With only a pedestal sink and the toilet top we really could have used a space to put a shaving kit, make-up bag, etc. A shelving unit in the corner of the kitchen would have been handy, too. Like I said, very minor and did not effect our enjoyment at all.
If you are looking for 12 fluffy pillows, turn down service and brand new everything, keep looking. If you are looking for clean, decent accommodation without all the bells and whistles, The Apple Tree Inn met our needs, they might meet yours.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Frosty9999

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Cranbrook
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014

The bed was comfortable and the linen was clean. Having said that, the motel was very old and not renovated. We had trouble finding a place to charge all our electronics. The hair dryer plug in the bathroom didn't have a ground fault protector. The towels were small, thin and tattered. The owner was not happy that he needed to turn the heat up in our unit and it took 8 hours before it finally got up to 21 degrees Celsius. We were glad we only had to stay there one night and would not return.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ditak48

Travelers are raving about these Penticton hotels

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stayed here recently with my family while doing some wine touring. We were able to get separate rooms for increased privacy and avoid eating out at mediocre restaurants by using the full sized fridge and kitchen for our meals.

It isn't a five star resort with modern furnishings, but our rooms were clean, tidy, and the kitchen well organized with everything we needed. The staff were also friendly and accommodating. I'd go back.

The only somewhat-complaint I have is that there wasn't a separate couch in the room where we stayed; however, the space was taken up by the second bed, and there was a dining table with plenty of chairs so we were still able to be comfortable watching TV during the evening.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Andi S
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

We chose this hotel based on trip advisor reviews and it was the one of the top recommended. I was there with my husband, our 1 month old baby, my sister her boyfriend. We go to Penticton every summer and normally camp but stayed in a hotel this time since we have a baby. The actual room was decent, but I expected better for the price. The first time we flushed the toilet it overflowed all over the floor. It would not stop running.. We called the front desk and told them what happened, a few minutes later someone came to our door with a plunger and a mop, handed it over and left. Um okay? My sisters boyfriend tried to fix the toilet but couldn't. The mop they gave us was so crappy and old it wouldn't absorb anything. I called back the front desk as the toilet water was now leaking all over the carpet in our bedroom.. The manager came to fix it, however was extremely rude about it. He even gave me a speech about flushing diapers and baby wipes as if that's what caused the problem. I'm not an idiot, I wouldn't do that. He didn't even sanitize the floor which was now covered in icky toilet water. Not exactly sanitary with a baby in the room. Oh and when we first got in the room there was dirty washcloths hanging from the tub.. Ewww..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank theraq
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Centrally located this motel is a clean well kept and affordable. Only disappointment no tub.

Friendly staff and very quiet. Would return to this motel. Rode bikes and was provided with towels for bikes after a rainy night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand Forks, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

No, it's not a 5 star resort, but for a clean comfortable place to stay the night, it worked just fine. Friendly staff, quality free wi-fi that actually worked! 3 bed rooms are available, which was a great bonus as I was travelling with my Mom and son.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

This hotel falsely advertised their location on booking.com as being close to big white resort. When I found out that it was close I called to cancel and talked to the manager Paul. He told me if I talked to booking.com everything would be fine. Then proceeded to tell booking.com that I would be charged for the night. Not what I call good business. I will be telling everyone about this incident till I get my money back for a stay I didn't even have.

• Stayed February 2013