“Food was great, service, not so much.”
Review of Ki Sushi

Ki Sushi
Ranked #14 of 272 Restaurants in New Westminster
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We love sushi in BC and Ki Sushi did not disappoint! The fish was fresh and delicious. In particular, the tuna and salmon sashimi were wonderful! We were there as a family and everyone was able to find something(s) to love.

The menu itself was not great. There were no descriptions next to the unique Ki Sushi Rolls, so we were forced to ask our busy server a lot of questions.

And, yes, though our server was busy, we thought she could have done a lot better. Our order was not complete, we had to re-ask for certain things and the bill was also incorrect. It was hard to flag her down so we waited a long time to get drinks when we first sat down, to order, to get our food, to fix our order, to get the bill, to correct the bill and to pay. It was honestly, absurd. We were there for 2.5 hours, she could have flipped our table much quicker if we didn't have to wait.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Today I went with a friend for dinner to “Ki Sushi”, a Japanese restaurant close to the New Westminster skytrain station. It was pretty full. We had to wait few minutes until we got seated. The selection on their menu is pretty good. And also the design of the menu itself is nice, good quality pictures of selected meals. I ordered an Ika Sugata Yaki (whole cuttlefish with wine/ginger sauce). My friend had chosen Vegetable Sunomono, Vegetable Yaki Soba and Vegetable Gyoza. While all his items came pretty fast, my meal took about 30 minutes to be finished. So we were not able to eat together. The staff seemed anyways to be a bit overwhelmed by the number of guests.
The quality of the items was disappointing. The best were the Gyoza. And also with the Sunomono it’s hard to get it totally wrong. But the Yaki Soba was absolutely disappointing. The item contained just fried noodles with fried onions and cabbage. Not even traces of other simple vegetables like carrots, bean sprouts green onions, green beans or similar things could be found in it. And it seemed to be not seasoned at all. So the taste of it was pretty boring.
And the finally came my dish. I didn’t mind that it took a while to prepare it; I expected this since it is necessary if it would be prepared fresh. But it should be served with the main dish of the other person or all dishes together. And this item was also not so great. The arms and the tail piece were more burnt than usual. And the meat was pretty chewy, more than it should be. And the taste was a boring as the Yaki Soba – no seasoning. I ate already better squids, also in Japanese restaurants (e.g. Shuraku Sake Bar & Bistro at Granville Street).
I would not consider this restaurant as my favourite. But it is not so bad that I would refuse to visit it again.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Ki (previously "Kirin Sushi") is way better now that's it's been renovated. The salmon sushi is properly prepared but is not still partly frozen - and in generous portions. The best deal is the LUNCH COMBO. It's less than $10. for Miso Soup and a 3 choices - both sushi and hot dishes. The menu doesn't explain in detail what is in each of their more innovative rolls (who does?) but shows good photos of mango toppings, etc. The main servers speak fluent English. Some of the other staff (who fill glasses, bus, etc.) may not make eye contact with you only because they're shy about not understanding if you start a conversation (only know beginner's English.) There are a lot of Asian immigrants in Vancouver and they have to start somewhere. However, smiling is a universal language and they'll get your waiter/waitress. We often go around 1:30.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We recently had a quick lunch there and the sushi was average and so was the service. There are other sushi restaurants nearby and next time we'll try one of those.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Never going there again. We stood waiting for maybe 10 minutes tonight for a table for 2. We were acknowledged by staff that we needed a table for 2. There were 2 couples ahead of us and they were seated. We were standing at the entrance to be seated so they knew we were waiting. A couple with a kid walk in and they immediately seated them. I looked at my husband and that was it...........we were outa there.......and never I repeat, never going back!!!