“Perfect for the Budget Traveler”
Review of The Met Hotel

The Met Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in New Westminster
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Pros:
1. The room rate!
2. Location is next door to skytrain Columbia station, walking distance to restaurants, shops, grocery stores, comedy club, etc.
3. Simple with all the basics.
4. Discounts to local restaurants and events.
5. Pet friendly with pet rooms all on the same floor.
6. 20-25 minute train ride from Vancouver.
7. Friendly staff.

Cons:
1. Parking
Parking options are not clearly outlined on the website. They are also not clearly communicated by the front desk. I eventually learned that parking is offered at $10 + tax a day from noon to noon in the public parking garage across the street. Tax is $3.50 for a total of $13.50. The Met is on a commercial block without parking. Doesn't sound too bad until you learn that:

- Parking in the same public garage is $9.50 a day.
$7.00 from 6 am to 6 pm
$2.50 from 6 pm to 6 am
- After 6 pm the meters in New Westminster are free until 8 am.

This means that The Met is charging twice the general rate for the convenience of not having to move your car until noon.

2. Cleanliness
Contrary to previous reviewers the cleanliness in my room was average. I actually selected this hotel based on the comments, "highest standard" of clean. That was not the case. Overall the room was clean. The hitch was an assortment of stray hairs: male, female and I suspect a dog, all over the bathroom with the ripped and tattered towel. End of the world? No, but definitely not the highest standard.

3. Skytrain
The location of the skytrain station is superb with the price of street noise. If you are a light sleepier, this may become a problem. Try requesting a room on the front side of the Met.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank CuriousTrvl

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed one night at The Met. We were arriving later than expected, so called to determine what time was the absolute latest for check-in. The staff on duty was very courteous and said they were staffed all night on weekends, but if it was during the week, they would be sure to not leave us out in the rain. Upon check-in, desk clerk was friendly and very accommodating. Found our room to be very clean and more than adequately supplied with the necessities. Blankets were warm, pillows were fluffy.
We arrived on a rainy weekend, with very wet backpacks. The front desk clerk took us to the laundry room and allowed us to have come and go access to the dryer to dry out soggy clothing. The next day, we were busy until after 4 pm and did not want to carry our backpacks with us. The staff very willingly found us room in a storage area and, upon noticing our still very wet footwear from the day before, offered to place them by a fan for the day. When we returned, our bags were where they were left and our shoes were very dry.
Location to skytrain cannot get any better.
If ever in the Westminster area again, The Met will be our first choice for accommodations.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank J_L_Edmonton2010
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I like the fact that it is close to the sky trains, close to my family, close to the store. There are some things that I can't stand though. The place is spacious, clean and it is by the sky train if you need to use public transportation. We have stayed here before because it is close to family. There are some things that are awful thought. I cannot stand the fact that there is no way to park in front of the place to unload bags, kids, etc. The hotel is right by the bus stop and you are not allowed to park not even to unload. This is a crazy thing because the actual parking (which you have to pay for) is across the street. The parking lot is dodgy and not a good location. We paid $100 for one night and that is not cheap and on top of that we had to pay $13 for parking. The vent/ac made a horrible raddling noise but we had it keep on all night because we were on the side where the sky train stops and the train was loud. The shower drain didn't work and I felt like I was bathing in my own dirty water (yuck). B-fast is not included (which it did back in the days). It used to be way better place. I would say... if you don't want to park across the street and lug your kids, luggage and things across the street then find another place.

The website says “Guest parking is limited and available on a limited first-come, first-served basis (surcharge)”. Such parking does not exist – what this means is that the parking lot is across the street and YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR IT.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Susana R
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed in the Met Hotel with my wife while we were looking at potential homes in the New Westminster area. The location of the Met in New Westminster is very convenient as it is right downtown, and an easy walk to shops, cafes and restaurants.

The reception was very friendly and seemed knowledgeable about the area. The room we stayed in was very clean, had vaulted ceilings, and lots of space.

The one issue that wasn't a big deal for me, but could be for some, was that the room was very close to the skytrain tracks which were kind of loud. The trains run until 1:30ish so if you're a light sleeper, that could be a problem. To make up for it though, the bed was incredibly comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2012

The Met is a very good cheap hotel located near the waterfront in New West. It's old but it is still in good condition and the rooms are decent sized and are cleaned to a high standard. It's very close to the sky train and very close to lots of restaurants. i would highly recommend this hotel if you're looking for a hotel in New West, BC.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I recently stayed at The Met for a wedding that was happening in New Westminster, BC. It is a very cute hotel! The rooms and hallways etc are very very clean and well put together. The staff was wonderful and very accommodating. I am from Ontario and whenever I travel I get very worried about hotel reservations etc (I've had a lot of problems with reservations being lost etc). I had reserved a room a couple of months before flying out west and I was told by the hotel staff that the room I booked would be a King size bed with a queen size pull-out for extra guests and would sleep 4 adults. When I checked in, the room I got only had a king size bed and a chair! yikes! I was sharing the room with a friend so we had to go and switch rooms because we were not sleeping together. haha. When we switched rooms we ended up with a room where the air conditioning didn't work. It was 30 degrees Celsius in New Westminster while we were there and air conditioning was needed to sleep. The air conditioning was an ongoing problem for other people in the party that I was in because they were individual window units in each room.

The only other reason why I didn't give the hotel an "excellent" rating was being we were all part of a wedding and we had 2/3 of the hotel booked for family and friends that came from out of town. We had enough people to take over two whole floors of the hotel and instead of them just giving us the two floors they actually had some of the other guests staying on the floors where most of us were. In particular, there was a couple staying on the 4th floor where every other room booked there were people who were there for the wedding. I felt really bad for that couple as we were constantly loud and congregating on the 4th floor common room. I don't know why hotels do this!!!!

The hotel is right beside the SkyTrain station 'Columbia'. And I mean RIGHT BESIDE! Very convenient but can be a little loud if you aren't used to those kind of city sounds.

The restaurant and pub attached to the hotel was really really nice. The staff there as well was very friendly. They have a really nice patio located between the hotel and the train station and was nice to sit on to have a drink. The breakfast there was amazing and was a great price! I didn't get to eat dinner there which I was kind of sad about but maybe next time.

I would definitely stay at The Met Hotel again. The price was great, it was conveniently located by a SkyTrain station which gave you easy access to downtown Vancouver for shopping etc, and the staff at both the hotel and the pub were extremely friendly! There was free wi-fi (and by free I MEAN FREE - I've been to hotels before where they say it's free but never works) lots of great channels on the TV and great products for toiletries. Thank you The Met Hotel for a great stay!!!!

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the SkyTrain station. Or get a room higher then the second floor.