“If you have to stay in New Westminster, this is a good value option.”
Review of The Met Hotel

The Met Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in New Westminster
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed in the Met Hotel with my wife while we were looking at potential homes in the New Westminster area. The location of the Met in New Westminster is very convenient as it is right downtown, and an easy walk to shops, cafes and restaurants.

The reception was very friendly and seemed knowledgeable about the area. The room we stayed in was very clean, had vaulted ceilings, and lots of space.

The one issue that wasn't a big deal for me, but could be for some, was that the room was very close to the skytrain tracks which were kind of loud. The trains run until 1:30ish so if you're a light sleeper, that could be a problem. To make up for it though, the bed was incredibly comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 16, 2012

The Met is a very good cheap hotel located near the waterfront in New West. It's old but it is still in good condition and the rooms are decent sized and are cleaned to a high standard. It's very close to the sky train and very close to lots of restaurants. i would highly recommend this hotel if you're looking for a hotel in New West, BC.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I recently stayed at The Met for a wedding that was happening in New Westminster, BC. It is a very cute hotel! The rooms and hallways etc are very very clean and well put together. The staff was wonderful and very accommodating. I am from Ontario and whenever I travel I get very worried about hotel reservations etc (I've had a lot of problems with reservations being lost etc). I had reserved a room a couple of months before flying out west and I was told by the hotel staff that the room I booked would be a King size bed with a queen size pull-out for extra guests and would sleep 4 adults. When I checked in, the room I got only had a king size bed and a chair! yikes! I was sharing the room with a friend so we had to go and switch rooms because we were not sleeping together. haha. When we switched rooms we ended up with a room where the air conditioning didn't work. It was 30 degrees Celsius in New Westminster while we were there and air conditioning was needed to sleep. The air conditioning was an ongoing problem for other people in the party that I was in because they were individual window units in each room.

The only other reason why I didn't give the hotel an "excellent" rating was being we were all part of a wedding and we had 2/3 of the hotel booked for family and friends that came from out of town. We had enough people to take over two whole floors of the hotel and instead of them just giving us the two floors they actually had some of the other guests staying on the floors where most of us were. In particular, there was a couple staying on the 4th floor where every other room booked there were people who were there for the wedding. I felt really bad for that couple as we were constantly loud and congregating on the 4th floor common room. I don't know why hotels do this!!!!

The hotel is right beside the SkyTrain station 'Columbia'. And I mean RIGHT BESIDE! Very convenient but can be a little loud if you aren't used to those kind of city sounds.

The restaurant and pub attached to the hotel was really really nice. The staff there as well was very friendly. They have a really nice patio located between the hotel and the train station and was nice to sit on to have a drink. The breakfast there was amazing and was a great price! I didn't get to eat dinner there which I was kind of sad about but maybe next time.

I would definitely stay at The Met Hotel again. The price was great, it was conveniently located by a SkyTrain station which gave you easy access to downtown Vancouver for shopping etc, and the staff at both the hotel and the pub were extremely friendly! There was free wi-fi (and by free I MEAN FREE - I've been to hotels before where they say it's free but never works) lots of great channels on the TV and great products for toiletries. Thank you The Met Hotel for a great stay!!!!

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the SkyTrain station. Or get a room higher then the second floor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2012

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I go to the coast every year to see friends and attend the PNE (Pacific National Exhibition). I always stay at The Met. It is a lovely little jewel in the heart of downtown New Westminster. The Skytrain is practically at the door step and is a very quick way to get where you're going. The Hotel is in one of the oldest buildings in the city. It is called the Burr Building and was owned by the Burr family of which the actor Raymond Burr ( Perry Mason for those of you who remember that program) was a son.
The Hotel is small, no room service but they do serve a very satisfying continental breakfast.
You will be only steps away from many interesting places to visit. The New Westminster Quay is a lovely spot ot visit.
Stroll along the esplanade and watch for seals in the river. The City does a lovely job of planting flowers along the esplanade and every year I spot something unique I have never seen before. There are lots of restaurants to choose from in New West. There are malls all along the Skytrain line for shopping. My favorite is Metrotown Mall in Burnaby. Over 400 stores , restaurants , movie theaters and the Skytrain takes you right there.
The room rates at The Met are very reasonable, the rooms are clean and comfortable. The staff are friendly and helful. I love The Met and hope to continue my patronage there for many years to come.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 4th floor , at the front streetside. A nice view of the river and less street...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 15, 2012

When my business partner and I first drove up to the curb in front of the Met Hotel in downtown New Westminster, BC, looking around, the location looked a bit challenging amidst the more working class cityscape and some street people milling about. However, we are world travelers and everyday life in a destination never keeps us from being open minded. We are so glad to have found The Met! We met Chris straight away and he proceeded to impress us with his service and hospitality; then we got to our rooms and what a great experience! He provided discount coupons to The Keg Restaurant and we proceeded to have a wonderful dinner on their patio, went for an evening walk along the Fraser River/Waterfront district and fell in love with New Westminster. Kudos to Chris and The Met! We will be back the next time we visit our client, Simon Fraser University.

Room Tip: Ask for the river facing rooms and 3rd or 4th floor.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at The Met Hotel for a week.
Right from the start I knew I was going to love it there.
The staff are THE most friendly staff ever - and super easy going and fun to talk to.
Melody, Chris, Jenny and Sean made it the most memorable and I can say I have never met staff at any other Hotel who come even close to just how awesome this group is.
My room on the 3rd floor had the most awesome view of the river across the street, and great airconditioning which was a nice treat to have with the weather being so hot lately.
Wifi was great, loved the fact I got a room that had a microwave and mini fridge in it and a little coffee maker so I could make coffee and have my own creamer at my leisure :)
The cleaning staff were also incredibly friendly too.
As for it being beside the Columbia skytrain station and near the train tracks - didn't hear it at all and it would not have mattered anyhow if I even did because hey - if you have ever lived in the city or in the country these would be normal every day sounds anyone hears ;)
Awesome food, and awesome for the price of the room - I can not say enough great things about The Met and I will be recommending this place to anyone looking for a great place to stay that is just so filled with rich New Westminster history - a true gem not to be missed. :D
I have no doubt that this will not be the last time I will be staying here!
Thanks everyone! I'll dfinately be back! :D

Room Tip: Those with small pets - this is a pet friendly hotel who have one floor specifically for those trave...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
West End
Buchan Hotel
Buchan Hotel
#37 of 92 in Vancouver

Been to The Met Hotel? Share your experiences!